Where did my songs go?
mamadancer

1) I switched to the Galaxy Nexus from a Blackberry. On my Blackberry, I could use any song on the phone as a ringtone or for the alarm. On the Nexus I can't see them when choosing ringtones. I know how to change a ringtone but there is nothing that lets me look at any of the other songs beyond the ones supplied with the phone.

2) I've synced some music on the phone and less than half the songs show up in the music app. I don't think I missed something obvious. I do think it's weird that many, (if not most) of the songs that I can find are not mainstream music but things i bought directly from the artist. Not all of them, are from small producers, though.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Where did my songs go?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps the reason that the WMA format files didn't show is because the Galaxy Nexus doesn't support that format.

Here are the specs from the Verizon Wireless page. WMA is not listed as a supported audio format.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?&&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5801

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are separate folders on the Galaxy Nexus phone for ringtones, notifications, and alarm tones. You will need to copy the desired ringtones to the appropiate folder for them to be add to the tone selection lists. You can use the USB transfer with the compjter to do so or a file explorer application from the Android Market.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mamadancer

I did try that but the song I tried is not showing up as an option on the list of ringtones. I wonder if that is because there seems to be a slightly different list of possible ringtones for different items. THe clock app that came with the phone has an extremely limited list of ringtones. I may just need a different app.

and I tried directly transferring some WMA files to the music folder but they have not shown up on the google music app, either.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps the reason that the WMA format files didn't show is because the Galaxy Nexus doesn't support that format.

Here are the specs from the Verizon Wireless page. WMA is not listed as a supported audio format.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?&&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5801

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is one tone list for ringtones, another for notifications, and a even smaller list for alarms.

You can add to the ringtone list by adding a supported file format file to the "ringtone" folder.

The files that you want as notifications tones go in the "notifications" folder.

Finally any custom alarm sound files would go in the "alarms".

When I was setting up my Nexus, I transferred over all the custom tones that I had been using on my Tbolt and placed them in their proper folders. The custom ringtones showed up in the ringtone list, the notification tones became available in the notification list, and the couple of custom alarm tones were automatically added to the alarm tone list.

0 Likes
rmarkwald
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you are looking to play the WMA files, search Power Amp in the Market, as that app supports WMA playback.

It is a 15 day trial, but well worth the money to buy the license.  Great widgets, customizable EQ settings, among other great settings too.  May be worth trying it out.

0 Likes
mamadancer

I'll look for the right folder for these, thanks.

0 Likes