Re: We are waiting for "Android 4.1 JB", When is it coming?
j_rousseau32
Enthusiast - Level 2

Testing out new O.S's is no simple process is there is alot at stake given that there are alot of "player's" involved in the devolopement of a smart device and so many variables that could wind up making all software and hardware dev's and ultimately Verizon all look back, so pushing out software that instructs hardware before it is throughly tested out is reckless, irresponsible and could cause collateral damage and have serious cost. I am not for or against Verizon nor do I work for them. I just come from the computer tech support end and know what it feels like when buggy software gets put onto a computer that was pushed out too soon. PS: don't punish the support for not giving a timetable for the JB rollout. You are a sucker for all the media hype. "Like butter", Google I will believe it.... when I see it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

JB is a vast improvement overall to ICS. Been using since Google I/O and then later compiling from source. Overall it's worth the wait for it. People still need to relax it will come. The benefit of a Nexus device if you don't want to wait you don't have to compared to other devices out there.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

You may not believe it when I say it, but it is "like butter" compared to other iterations of Android.  It's more that it's faster but yes, it's also smoother.  I haven't read a review yet (from real people, not bloggers) that complained that Project Butter wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

0 Likes
Dornier
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received the Nexus 7 yesterday and jelly bean is fantastic.  The OS feels much more polished than ICS.  Google now, voice search, and smooth like butter really works well.  I can't wait until our Verizon Galaxy Nexus gets 4.1.1.

0 Likes
shinta148

I'm seriously on my last leg with Verizon Wireless. I've received nothing but horrible service from their Call Centers, terrible experiences with their signal and stability, and the time it takes them to release updates is just annoying to say the least. This is seriously the worst carrier experience I've ever had.

That being said I'm probably going to jump to T-Mobile with a GSM device and warn all of my friends and colleagues away from this money sink of a carrier.

0 Likes
Dornier
Enthusiast - Level 2

http://blogs.computerworld.com/smartphones/20706/verizon-galaxy-nexus

I don't understand why Verizon, Google, and Samsung couldn't plan it so that all Nexus phones get the update at the same time.  There's no reason not to do this.   Don't buy into the different radios, CDMA, LTE, etc. It's just poor planning skills on all parties involved.

0 Likes
gernerttl
Contributor - Level 1

Anybody who thinks that would work really needs to get a clue.  If Google and Verizon were to upgrade EVERY Nexus phone at the same time, it would seriously degrade network performance at best and completely drop whole networks at worst.  Remember, they have other customers to take care of, not just their Nexus users.  That would serious impact not on just individuals and businesses, but emergency services as well.  What would happen if somebody is trying to make a 911 call and cant' because YOU wanted your OTA upgrade right now and that it should be pumped to every phone at once?

0 Likes
Dornier
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you're right, why is it that Apple can get updates out on almost every compatible iPhone at the same time?  If Verizon doesn't want the network to be impacted, force the update via WiFi.  Once again, don't buy into the carriers claims.  It's poor planning and quite frankly, it's not on their priority list.  Most customers don't care about ICS, Jelly Bean, and IOS 6.  The only reason why Apple can push updates at the same time is because of agreements between carriers.  Obviously, Samsung and Google didn't force the issue with Verizon and Sprint, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

dedren
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah I am doing the exact same thing and encouraging others to do the same. Time to speak with our wallets. Sure they get a one time termination fee, but if I go back to TMobile with a $30 prepaid plan...I save thousands per year!

0 Likes
gernerttl
Contributor - Level 1

How many iPhones are there in comparison to Android phones?  Furthermore, how many different versions of Android are out there? 

Obtw.  Apple doesn't pump its updates out to everybody at once.  Again, it is the carriers that do it; and they push the OTA in batches.  The last time I checked, Apple doesn't provide cell phone service...yet.

But go ahead and jump ship if you like.  I saw all of this when 4.0.4 rolled out...and it still just as humorous to watch.

It is the American way..."I want my stuff immediately, if not sooner!"

0 Likes