Re: We are waiting for "Android 4.1 JB", When is it coming?
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Tidbits, you refuse to admit you're wrong sometimes.  My comment was addressing your statement: "Only the ones sold in the play store have gotten the update

Your use of the word "only" contradicts the fact that some of the other GSM Galaxy Nexus phones have received the update, as well.  By the way, I didn't have to change my firmware to takju to receive the update.

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

@Tidbits I understand your point and know what you are saying. It usually does take a while for ALL phones to receive the update. However, recently (couple of days ago) Google posted the "factory images" for both yakju and takju. Normally this done AFTER an update is pushed to all existing devices from what I have read. So technically if you had a yakju or takju you could just go and get the factory image on yourself (which is not exactly the same as compiling and flashing AOSP source). Again, I understand that Verizon has to validate the phone due to CDMA, but all I am saying/hoping for is that they provide some transparency in the process or speed it up. I would totally be fine with the added time if it was really being spent to catch issues. Even after their "exhaustive" validation, the same darn issues still exist. I also know that nothing is going to change anytime soon, and at some point I may just have to give up and turn to AOSP. On that note, I'll be sending you a PM for some info!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There are more than the Yakju and Takju which people have long forgotten.  Those are both "officially" as people would call Nexus devices, but there are other in other countries which do not have those versions.  They have yet to even see an update, and most just use the factory images and convert to Yakju or Takju(which requires root).  That's all I am saying about that.  Regardless if it appears that all of them got which isn't true.  Yakju and Takju are the only official GSM updated from Google hence they show up on AOSP.

Sure would be nice to get updates faster, but if the update is all you want someone could just compile from source or get it from someone who can.

0 Likes
davegr
Contributor - Level 2

Doing the unspeakable will not void your warranty.  If you do it right.  But once again you're not technologically inclined like that. So...as I said before...Why do you care?  It's like morons who buy a $400 fishing pole to go fishing once a year.  Wow, awesome trout you caught there at $400/lb.

~D 

davegr
Contributor - Level 2

Once again, if you do it right, you stay in warranty.  But you're technical enough so I'm sure you knew that.

The SGN is a (on the inside) a dev phone. People like tinker with it like it because of that.  You don't like to tinker.  RAZRs are nice.

~D

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's very easy to do and the chance to brick is .001%.  As long as you can go into download mode or use Qualcomm radio tools(This is the only KNOWN way to brick a Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus let alone any Samsung device which you'll never touch anyway) you can never brick.

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

Ok agreed I should not have used the warranty excuse. I know ways around that and with the GalNex it's way too easy I know. People who like to tinker will tinker with anything. GalNex is a Google flagship device first and then a device for development. Unless you are into creating/assembling your own roms you really don't need to "tinker". I can absolutely do any development on this phone as it is. You are still not getting my point. I know I can but why should I have to if this is a Nexus Experience device. Anyways I got my grouper couple of days back so I'm all Jelly Beaned up for now.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

This device is meant to be tinkered with.  Verizon isn't stopping the device from being tinkered with.  Google has expressed this since the inception of their ADP, and Nexus One devices.  Everyone else labeled it "The Nexus experience". 

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

thanks. Yes I'm aware of that. Let's see how long I can hold off! If the rumors that VZW is preparing yet another ICS update pans out then I'm waiting no more! Btw I got my grouper couple of days back so I'm okay for now. But using Google Now on it makes me want to get Jelly Bean even more on my phone!

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

sorry but it's not just the people. Even Google uses the term Nexus experience device in their description. ADP was the ONLY true phone just meant for development. Since the inception of Nexus line, they have primarily been flagship phones to highlight the next big android iteration. And be that it's a Google phone it is open to tinker how you want.

0 Likes