Re: We are waiting for "Android 4.1 JB", When is it coming?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Doesn't Apple also have the devices do the system update over WiFi or through itunes? I don't know for sure, but I think the user of the device has to actually check for the update. I know of a couple of users with iOS devices that still haven't updated their devices to the current latest version of iOS. They don't care about the update or they don't know about or they don't know how to request the update.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

iPhones are updated through iTunes. 

There is no carrier involvement in this.  All iPhone users can plug their phones into iTunes at the same time to get their updates.  This isn't a good thing because when Siri came out on the iPhone 4S around the same time as iOS 5 was released to older devices, the Apple servers were overloaded and Siri didn't function properly.

Jeff1960

I think a little patience might be a good thing for everybody here. We live in such a I WANT IT NOW society. And honestly it is just not that easy a lot of the time. Verizon is dealing with MILLIONS of customers and many different types of phones. A variety of issues most likely prevent this being a something that can be easily done.

Yeah, I want the Jellybean update just like everybody else.  But my Nexus is working just fine with the 4.0.4 update. It's not like my phone will not function. So I can wait. We will get the update soon enough.

0 Likes
gernerttl
Contributor - Level 1

21stNow:  Yep.  A friend of mine, who is a Kool-aid drinker...err, I mean iPhone user said the same thing.  As Heinlein once said, "TANSTAAFL (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch)"; and that is what most of this whining is about...not getting their free lunch.

I waited patiently for 4.0.4 to OTA, and I will wait patiently for 4.1 to OTA. 

*** To the makers of Kool-aid.  I apologize about the Kool-aid drinker comment.  You can blame Jim Jones for that one.  😄

0 Likes
Dornier
Enthusiast - Level 2

How many iPhones are there in comparison to Android phones?  Furthermore, how many different versions of Android are out there? >> We're talking about the Galaxy Nexus, not any other phone.  Other phones take long to update for many reasons, skins, drivers, carrier, etc.

I owned an iPhone 4 and 4s and whenever Apple said there's an update, I got it.  Sure the servers were slow, but at least everyone got the update.  By the way, Since IOS 5, all updates are OTA, but honestly, I don't recall if you have to download it via wifi only.

Now that I have a Nexus 7, I'm not in a rush to get 4.1.1, but it's a shame that a Google device on Verizon is slow to get updates.  It's a Nexus after all.  Google did state that the "other Nexus devices were next".  I hope that means in a few weeks versus a few months.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Did you have to have iOS 5 before future updates would come OTA?  I ask because when I had an iPhone 4, I didn't update it after 4.1 for personal reasons.  When I went back to unlock it, I had to plug the phone into iTunes to update it to 5.1.  I had used the iPhone up until March of this year, so that was long after iOS 5 had been out.  I don't remember ignoring an update notification, but then again, I could have forgotten by now.

To try to contribute to the topic, there are QC issues that Google has to be mindful of, too.  Some people have touched on this.  The Nexus S started receiving the ICS update late last year/earlier this year, but that update was halted after initial bug reports came in.  The update didn't resume for several weeks.  The key to this is that Nexus devices are updated first, but not always fast.

Dornier
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, OTA started with IOS 5.  IOS 4 and before required a PC and iTunes for updates. 

0 Likes
re4ee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well all that iOS ease of upgrading will change dramatically when the next iPhone comes out packing a 4GLTE radio for VZW.  If the GNex was 3G only things would be a bit different for us. As so many have pointed out so often on these threads on OS updates the trade-offs are simple, choose your poison, longer waits for updates or inferior coverage.

My GNex works fine for me, never have dropped calls, full 4G coverage most places I go. I think if you're phone is not functioning as you would like you might just look at some 3rd party apps and widgets you've downloaded and installed.  One or more of those may be causing all of your ICS headachs, and if so, JB isn't going to fix that, so you'd best resolve to do the legwork to find out if that is the case.

Peace.

0 Likes
re4ee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I just found a little item that I hadn't seen, it's from Androidandme posted a day after 4.1 source code was posted by Google.  On July 10th they wrote these words.

"Jelly Bean, was made available in the Android Open Source Project. But that’s not all that happened. Along with the introduction of Android 4.1, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus LTE earned back its supported title in the AOSP.

That should mean at least a somewhat shorter wait for the OTA.

0 Likes
re4ee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Google does indeed have the binaries for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus they are labled.

Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) binaries for Android 4.1.1 (JRO03C)

0 Likes