WIFI vs 4G
geomonroe

Am i using my 2G data package when i am using WIFI?

0 Likes
Re: WIFI vs 4G
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whenever you connect to wi-fi (at home, work, local retailers, etc.), no ... you aren't using part of your 2 GB data package. 

If you were to activate mobile hotspot, which basically turns your phone into a wi-fi access point for other devices, then yes, that draws from your data package (and also costs extra, unless you're on a Share Everything plan).

0 Likes
jb_mcdroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is blue tooth transmission between two phones data-free as well? When I upgraded from Stratosphere i405 to Nexus i515, I transferred my removable sdcard files (pics, docs, music) from my Stratosphere to the virtual nonremovable sdcard0 on my Nexus. Worked, but would have been faster with a phone-pc-phone USB transmission if I had a pc. Read somewhere that blue tooth data transmissions are comparable to wi-fi.

As a side bar, does anyone know of a USB connector to couple the Stratosphere data/charging cord to the data/charging cord of the Nexus? My local RadioShack doesn't have one. Conceptually, this phone-to-phone USB connection should work the same as a phone-pc-phone connection.

0 Likes
AllieKat274

I would check Best Buy or Amazon.com for the cord. Or, even Verizon support about the cord.

0 Likes
Not applicable

jb_mcdroid wrote:

Is blue tooth transmission between two phones data-free as well?

Why wouldn't it be? You're not using Verizon's network when transferring files over Bluetooth. I'm not trying to offend anyone but I see this type question about wi-fi and Bluetooth a lot and I don't get why it's so complicated.

0 Likes
jb_mcdroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

No offense intended here either, but I see answers like yours a lot in forums. The questions are not complicated, the answers are not complicated... what is complicated is staying within budget while being bombarded with outrageous data fees, taxes, and data overage charges. My son expressed it perfectly: "What's the point of having a smartphone without unlimited data."

0 Likes
Not applicable

If there was unlimited data you would be complaining about how slow the network is. Verizon only has 10 MHz of spectrum for 4G on upload and 10 MHz of spectrum for 4G for download. There is no way this is enough to handle unlimited data. Only 50% of data is currently going over 4G and there are already issues in more congested areas. Imagine if more people had 4G smartphones and all those people had unlimited data. What good is a smartphone without unlimited data? What good is unlimited data if it's slower than molasses in January or the network doesn't work at all? The fact is anything you use mobile data for on your smartphone you can do over wi-fi. Personally in the 6 months I've had a smartphone I've never gone over 1 GB let alone 2 GB. Some months not even over 500 MB.

0 Likes
jb_mcdroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

This was a reply that was positive, informative, and well-written. Thank you. My personal situation is that I don't have a home computer nor a closeby wi-fi source. Under these conditions, my monthly phone data usage runs from 5gb to 10gb, though I'm trying my best to get down to 2-4gb. Thanks again for the encouragement to use wi-fi as much as possible. Good discussion.

0 Likes
StarKillerX1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Depending on how much your paying for the extra data, and if a significant percentage of that usage occurs at home you might be better of getting broadband internet, and a wi-fi router, at home just for your cellphone.

0 Likes