Voice Dialer Useless after Jelly Bean Update
thwim

My phone updated to Jelly Bean yesterday and so far not so good.  The major problem is that the Voice Dialer no longer works.  This includes using it from a blue tooth headset and using Google Search.  I have looked on the web but haven't seen any solutions.  As long as it took Verizon to vet this update I would have thought they would get it right.  I also heard that Google can not do this simple search anymore but that seems quite wrong to me.

Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: Voice Dialer Useless after Jelly Bean Update
21stNow
Master - Level 1

What specifically is not happening when you try to voice dial via your BT headset? 

I have the GSM Galaxy Nexus and Voice Dialing via Bluetooth works well for me.  It doesn't recognize my voice quite as well as the old Android Voice Dialer, but the difference is small.  I'd rate the old Android Voice Dialer as accurate 90% of the time and the Jellybean Voice Dialer as accurate 80-85% of the time.

0 Likes
thwim

The voice dialer does not recognize any of the names I give it.  It does come and it asks for a name but after that it speaks Russian and I speak Martian.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I don't know if I can give you much help, and I hope that other posters see this thread and chime in with suggestions.

With Android phones, I always have to sit down with them to get voice dialing via Bluetooth to work as well as I want it to.  I take some time at home and call numbers where I won't get an answer (like calling my home phone or a business that is closed) until I work the kinks out.

Is your Voice Dialer coming up through Google Now?  Did you use the native Android Voice Dialer when you had Ice Cream Sandwich on your phone?  Which Bluetooth headset are you using?

azjerry

I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus and can confirm that dialing via bluetooth is broken with Jelly Bean. It has never  returned the correct contact since the update whereas it rarely goofed up on ICS. There are numerous complaints on the xda and the android central forums.

This needs to be fixed as it's a safety hazard for drivers.

0 Likes
jonheld

I also have a 100% failure rate on getting the correct contact since the JB update. I never had an issue with ICS, or at least not very often. This is incredibly frustrating to use in a car now. I have to manually look up the contact to call.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

have you guys tried unpairing, then factory reseting you Bluetooth headset?

0 Likes
azjerry

Re-paired, yes. Reset headset, not yet.

There are many complaints on the XDA and Andrioid Central forums of the exact same problem with many different headsets and the Galaxy Nexus: Headset and voice dialing worked fine on ICS, phone upgraded to JB, voice dialing completely inaccurate on JB. Those that have looked at the JB code report a significant change in that area of the code.

It's a safety issue that needs to be fixed.

0 Likes
thwim

Sat with my Jawbone ERA and talked to it and it still calls whoever it wants to.  I am using the stand voice dialer.  It used to show up as an app on the ICS version but I don't see it anymore.  I was going to download it but I don't see it on PlayStore.  In addition the voice prompts are so low as to useless.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Google problem...

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=35199

happens across the board with all 4.1.1, and 4.1.2 devices.

Voice dialer is missing because it is integrated into Google Now I believe so it sits at the OS level, but don't quote me on that.

0 Likes