Re: Very Disappointed with Nexus signal right now!!
kmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

You seem unaware how this works. When you lose signal, it takes a bit to get it work.

Sadly, in emergency situations -- seconds are important. Having to wait 15-30 seconds for your phone to be usable again is not a position I would like to be in. This isn't a "whoops, disconnected, let's try this again" situation. This is a "disconnected.. let's wait until it works again". If someone is bleeding out.. that whole waiting part is not ideal purely on a phone that Verizon can't get to reliably work (browsing around, this appears to be a common problem). 911 can keep trying to call back all they want, but a phone requires a signal to function. Going from full signal to entirely not working indicates an issue with the phone or software.

Since, I would assume due to battery reasons, most people don't have GPS enabled all the time -- they do not know your exact location. They have tower based triangulation which gets them roughly to the area  (this is how Google Maps works without you needing GPS by the way) -- you still need to direct them in.

kmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you purchased your phone -- where you told that for the phone portion to work reliably that you where not allowed to use 4g?

I was not -- just seeing if anyone else was told. I almost feel like this was false advertisement.

Searching around told me to wait until 4.0.4 came out but it looks like Verizon was fighting Google (even had a Google engineer frustrated with it). I'm not in high hopes of Verizon fixing this within a reasonable period of time.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You are unaware how it works. When you initialize the call the operator already knows your location of the device. If the call drops they know where you are. Also if you are at home you can use your land line for emergency calls regardless if you have service or not. Unless you never had signal to begin with then that would be a problem.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Also regardless if you have GPS off it is ALWAYS ON for E911 purposes I might add. You can't turn it off unless your circumvent the software.

0 Likes
vickiesb

Actually, it is a worse problem than that because on top of the time it takes to reconnect, when you call 911 usually your phone locks for a couple of minues and prevents ANY outbound calls.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

How so? 911 can CALL you. Also you can still call them... You are only locked out from calling anyone other than 911 or getting calls for 911. Also they will have your location before they even pick up on their end. If they can't get a hold of you they send first response there automatically.

You can do this with ANY cellphone even if you don't have service activated or any land line. It is required by law and why we pay for E911. All cellphones have a GPS chip whether you can utilize them as a basic feature or not for this purpose.

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

911 calls:  I've participated in hundreds of code blues in a hospital....it's easier to respond for someone you don't know/work with etc. than someone in your family.  When minutes count, you don't need to be dicking w/ a stupid phone....any brand/kind.  How can you give CPR and check to see if you have a signal?  Get real!!!  It's hard enough to hit the right buttons let alone troubleshoot a cell.

I swear the first time my husband  fell out due to arrhythmias(ventricular tachycardia) the ventricles of the heart may flutter or beat so fast that it's ineffective, so the blood pressure falls.  I was so scared that my own pulse was bounding at my finger tips that I couldn't tell if it was his pulse or mine.   So yeah.......having a screwed up phone could make all the difference to where someone might live or die.....need I say more? 

That was years ago, Bill died in 93....so I now live in a black hole for cell phone coverage, Sprint verified the loss of signal by having a technician drive around my neighborhood.  Switched carriers Verizon thought when they combined w/ Autel's towers that it would be a fix.  I live in the heart of a city w/ no tall buildings near, but there are trees....IDK, I just found out I can get a refurbished network extender for $100 vs $260 for a new one, that I might do that when I get back from visiting my daughter in upstate Maine...supposedly covers 5k square feet.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Really? Like there isn't another cellphone or a landline someone can use. Like i said unless you are remotely in some place like Yellowstone Park. The Emergancy excuse doesn't fly in this day and age. The are way too people are today and the vast cellphones out there. If the signal problem bothers you a PREPAID $10 phone can do it without any funds in it. You can always just give CPR and let one of the other 100 people call 911.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Landlines are ALWAYS connected to 911 regardless if you have service or not. I always have a phone connected to the jack for that sole purpose. When I am out there are thousands of people and buildings with landlines.

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

I find your remarks flippant and crass, there are many who have given up their land lines and rely totally on their cells when not at work.   When things go wrong, they might not be around others....a parking building after hours, emergencies at night time, neighbors not at home......they don't have to be out in the woods to not have anyone around....

IDK, why would be asking too much to get the service customers pay for, cell companies certainly like to be paid the full price every month.....on time.

Message was edited by: (Removed personal information to comply with VZW Community ToS)

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator