Re: Verizon says unlimited data plans are on the way out!
edeeeeee

I don't believe it until Verizon post it. If they do get rid of unlimited plan I'll just leave Verizon. Verizon 4g sucks anway. I can't get a decent signal anywhere. What a piece of crap service. I had a tmobile tablet and that was so much faster than Verizon. How embarrasing. I can't tell if it is my Nexus phone or the service. I wonder which one I will have to give up.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Yep, I agree with you, michaeljtimko, about the few bad apples. I can't count how many times I've seen people comment that they never use Wi-Fi, even though they could, because they are paying for unlimited and intend to use all they can.

0 Likes
Keitarou
Contributor - Level 1

How is using the service that people have been given and paying for considered bad apples? Why should they use Wi-Fi when it's available when they are paying for data service? Wi-Fi should be used as a back up when either data service is slow or not available. There is nothing wrong with using service that were given to you.

What is wrong is to use hot spot without paying for it because they have unlimited data.

SydneyK
Master - Level 3

It's merely an example of why costs go up and unlimited data plans will eventually cease to exist.

0 Likes
skafoglou
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wholeheartedly agree.

Verizon marketed a service, the unlimited data plan.  They've now chosen to get rid of it, entirely up to them, it's their company.  If VZW's excuse or anyone trying to rationalize their decision thinks that it's because "a few bad apples are hogging all the bandwidth," then they're sorely mistaken.  This is strictly a move to drive profits, period.  Why shouldn't they?  VZW is a business, not a charity.

To anyone that has posted on this thread feels that "unlimited" data has ruined their wireless experience, I ask, why doesn't Verizon (or any major wireless carrier) offer smart phones without data plans?  I mean, you can practically use your device anywhere there's a wi-fi signal.  Why not offer a no data plan option?  Why am I the bad guy because I want to use the data plan that I've paid for these last 4 years that was marketed to me by my service provider?

This is profit driven through and through.

Yes, some people have illegally set up wireless hot-spots and sold connections.  We're humans, I'd be a retard to think that no one ever exploited the system and violated their ToS.  But, that's not why this move is being conducted.  Quit lying to me and each other.

You want a choice, you've got one.  Stay or go.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I don't think it's the 1% or 5% or whatever as much as it is the $$$$$$$$$$ that Verizon sees.  They want to get the customer base to pay more and unlimited plans isn't going to pad their pockets.

0 Likes
Keitarou
Contributor - Level 1

That is a good point. Give us a choice. Smartphone with no data. If Verizon can't have unlimited because they are overwhelmed, then sell smart phones with no data. I'm sure some will love Verizon and switch over for that option. STOP taking things away from us and give back a little.

0 Likes
notarep
Contributor - Level 3

They meant mobile data, not unlimited data for whatever you hook your phone up to. Hotspot enables you to share your data connection with other devices that are not on the network and therefore not generating revenue, which is why they make you pay to use the service.

0 Likes
skafoglou
Enthusiast - Level 2

"They meant mobile data, not unlimited data for whatever you hook your phone up to."

Clarify please, cause mobile data is what everyone is talking about here.

[Wi-Fi Hotspot]  ))))))))  [Data Phone]  = "Free" internet surfing regardless of data plan.

- In this set up, you are already using a paid service from your ISP or maybe you've got access to an open network at Starbucks or McDonald's.  You can use your phone as a hotspot here, but you're already in an area that has one, so I don't know why you would.

[VZW Network]  ))))))))  [Data Phone set up as hotspot]  )))))))) [Laptop]  = Using your data plan.

- In this set up you're not in range of a hotspot, but you want to use your laptop instead of your big ol' fingers on a touch screen. You set up your phone as a hotspot and access the internet for the newest Caturday photos. You're using your phone's data plan like this.

0 Likes
lnguyen05

if this has been asked, which i'm sure it has, i'm sorry for asking it again. i have read a lot of the 11 pages of posts in this thread and i am still confused. so my question is, if i have a 4G HTC thunderbolt and i upgraded to a new phone, like the samsung galaxy s3, before the new plans are officially announced (if its released before the new plans are announced), will i be able to keep my unlimited? i've tried to research this online and i've seen answers for both sides.

0 Likes