Re: Verizon’s Galaxy Nexus is Now 3 Updates Behind Other Nexus Devices
Not applicable

35,000 towers supposedly and not ONE within 50 miles of me.

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

On route 1a in Rye, NH, right near the ocean, VZW  has next to ZERO signal.  Being such a fancy, high-falutin' town, it's got boatloads of dorky nimbys that won't put one darn tower near the coast... and there's lots of places where they could go that are not particularly picturesque. 

There may be 35,000 dollars but as is painfully obvious, they're not distributed evenly... I lost all my cellular signal less than 10 miles west of Hartford Connecticut... but it's only a matter of time they will get more towers actually and there will be a more equal playing field ... and when it happens VZW better watch out.

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Very nice find, this article.  But is it not true that  the nexus phones purchased on the Google Play Store received their updates independent of the carrier? 

0 Likes
Brent72
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm pretty much fed up with Verizon's OTA update policy at this point. As others have said, it's inexcusable that we have to wait so long for updates from VZW on a Nexus device. I know 4.2 will eventually come, but by the time we get it 4.3 or 5.0 will already be in the pipeline. I've been a loyal Verizon customer for a long time, but I think when my contract is up next year I will finally start shopping around for other carriers.

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Indeed, they sold us the nexus deal and totally reneged on it because we have no effective recourse as per 1)  the contract agreement neuters our power and 2) the others are even worse.

Nice going VZW... you really are the best available but I hate you >Comment deleted< because you only do what you have to do to stay in the lead rather than espousing a culture of excellence... >Comment deleted<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
MikereDD
Enthusiast - Level 2

I doubt anything more than the mods brushing makeup over the words that Big(UmbrellaCorp)Red doesn't care for will be the only answer a customer will recieve here.

One of my lines is already tossing me the upgrade eligible.

Contract ends on the 08/2013, already looking around and will most likely just pay them to get out of the contract.

Comment deleted due to profanity

Much rather pay full price for a device that can be updated without having to root to keep up due what ever Big(just take an upgrade)Red feels they need holding off updates sticking it to the customer base.

>Comment deleted<

anywho Mod this right mods do what you do best. Or should I put it in a DM>?

Company tactics like this are why people say >Comment deleted<

MODERATOR COMMENT:

>We are Moderators, not customer service reps, or technical support, that is why we do not answer your question, we do not know the answer. We are here to keep posts on topic, remove personal attacks, remove comments about rooting and profanity<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Well then... since no 1 from Verizon who knows anything actively monitors the threads here, perhaps someone should show the "stellar" leadership of this phenomenal organization some of the post here so that they get a feel for how their customers feel about them and the incomprehensibly poor level at which they seem to mete out service.   I think those of us with the Galaxy Nexus feel that bait and switch tactics have been employed, and your so called "leaders" should know that we feel that YOUR marketing of this device makes us believe that VZW is not providing the entire services the nexus brand deserves in return for the hard earned money from which the customers have paid

A NEXUS DEVICE IS SUPPOSED TO GET UNFETTERED ACCESS TO OS UPDATES.  WE ARE BEING DENIED BUGFIXES AND SECURITY UPDATES.

PS.  I'm done with this forum because it is quite clear that Verizon doesn't care or doesn't listen.  Enjoy your profits... all great empires fall.  Your low cost mentality is low class.

0 Likes
MikereDD
Enthusiast - Level 2

sprint & the toroplus thier gnexus is on the sme boat.

There are no stock images past 4.1.* - https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

big red is not alone with how the lte variant is being handled with updates.

Hell I have a thunderbolt that POS which htc and the two point at each other.

I've a few devices, nexus 7 get's alot love.

I do not consider the vzw nor sprint models nexus. It's just another samsung device that happen to get the branding many users would jump on.

So again I say if you wait on your cell provider ei: vzw/sprint forget it.

The phone is oem and developement status. Take it upon ones self to dive into to android and learn a bit. You may realize how much better it can be.

Mod's you're doing your job very understandable.

🙂 everyone have a happy new year learning android.

0 Likes
gernerttl
Contributor - Level 1

*sigh*

You geniuses just don't get it do you?  Verizon...aka "Big Red"...aka "The Man" is a privately owned company with millions of customers using a couple of dozen different phones ranging from the Galaxy S III to a simple flip phone.  They have a WHOLE lot more on their plate than catering to a bunch of whining, selfish children such as yourselves.  ANY Android or Symbian update will get approved by them BEFORE it goes on to ANY phones on THEIR network.  The iPhone is the only exception, and that is only because Apple is known for its high standards (and they put it in the contract).

Just like when Jelly Bean came out, you all complained and threatened to leave them.  Well now it's three months later, another update is out, and I see the same people making the same complaints and the same threats.  If you are going to leave Verizon then stop talking and start walking.  Me...I'm happy with my 4.1.1 and if I get 4.2.1, then I will be just as happy.  The only thing that I care about for 4.2 is the notifications on the lock screen and the two finger swipe to get to settings.  Beyond that...who cares.

To the moderator.  I recommend shutting this discussion down, mainly because there hasn't been ANYTHING instructive discussed here except for a bunch of complaining.

Peace out!

DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Congratulations.... you pulled me back into this thread... but only long enough to reply since.

First off, I resent what you called some of us.  Yes I've hurled a bit of invective around here.... and my only defense is my frustration... for that I'm sorry, at least it wasn't at any of the other participants in this little free for all, but I've been stewing about this for along time and I'm sorry. But we pay Verizon a lot of  money and we expect in return what was promised to us, either explicitly or implied.  I'm not going to call anyone any names in this post, but I hope to show you why we're angry.

But back to the matter at hand... why this thread is going down this road.

Did you enjoy the months of frustration you had with the pre 4.0.4 release?  That only took 5  months.  With such a devastating effect on the user base, any normal company with serious competition would have had that solved far sooner... or at least put out a series of incremental fixes that would have progressively solved problems.   And it seems Google DID have it solved far sooner.  But it still took 5 months to roll out.  I work for a software company with alot of competitors, and I can tell you we don't make our customers wait for the entire enchilada when there is that much going wrong.

Let me cherry pick some of the points you made...

This entire thread from post 1 is a complaint.  You couldn't possibly have expected anything instructive to a thread titled in the way this one was.  VZW isn't monitoring this, the moderator said as much MikereDD's post, so it's all falling on deaf ears anyway.  The moderator can't answer the questions, but evidently whoever can isn't reading this either.

But we have a Nexus phone.  This phone is pure android.  It has no bloat, no skin, no "enhanced user experience" to interfere with the android os and vice versa.  Testing the Nexus should be a breeze compared to MotoBloat phones.  I suppose that's why it only took two months to get 4.1.1 and a whole lot more time to get it on any other phone.  And I'm willing to wager that Google puts alot of effort (at least as much as apple) into updates for the nexus devices.  There

Apple is known for it's "high standards" such as Apple maps I guess.  Frankly Apple is like toyota.  Everyone thinks they are soooo great.  They aren't.  They're no better than the others.  Macs were among the first computers ever to get viruses and the iPhone is no prize...   I know several people who are dumping their iPhones... , Siri gets boring after a while I guess.

Yes VZW has a lot on their plate... then they should not have signed onto the NEXUS bandwagon.  There is an implied level of service... and this was MARKETED as a NEXUS device.  That means updates from Google in a timely manner, not people left to linger with bugs for months on end.  I'm a person, and when  I don't live up to my promises I get beaten up for it, don't you?  Or do you live by a different standard?  Didn't Mitt say "corporations are people too..."?  Should they not be held up to the same standards of business conduct as you or me?  When you promise or imply a promise, should you NOT have to live up to your promise?

And btw, we ARE smart enough to know there is no place else to go.  None of the others are any better, and that's why we're frustrated.  If that isn't enough for you to understand, try reading this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-26/how-at-t-and-verizon-manipulate-your-smartphone.html

or this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-27/u-s-internet-users-pay-more-for-slower-service.html

The problem sir, is we are being manipulated and our hand is being forced.  They are making enormous profits with little effort on their part.  I think VZW *is* the best provider available... but from what I've seen sprint has taken the lead fwiw.  Yup we've threatened to leave in a fit of rage perhaps, but on reflection there is no where else to go.  I only pine for the service my European colleagues get... twice the speed for half the price.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-gets-top-marks-annual-customer-satisfaction-survey/2012-0...

a bit dated perhaps but VZW has been dropping for the last three years straight as they have been tightening the screws to us... not just for this ridiculous issue... we are being gouged sir... pure and simple.

PS.  If I've offended... I humbly apologize... it was not my aim in this one.  Personally I was hoping someone at VZW would take note and say, "we can do WAY better than this".  Perhaps a bit misguided.