Verizon Upgrade Policy Change
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Just thought you guys may be interested in the latest development in Verizon's move to make everyone angry. Apparently they plan on ditching annual upgrades and no longer giving the additional NE2 discount for those eligible on contracts started after Jan 16th.  They better ramp up their OS update testing otherwise a lot of people aren't going to be happy with keeping a phone for 2 years with slow updates.  

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-changing-its-upgrade-policy-youll-have-wait-20-months-new-phon...

[Edited to comply with Terms of Service - removed proprietary image]

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Upgrade Policy Change
Brettreds2k
Enthusiast - Level 3

I could live with that, I would just need to make sure I buy either the Iphone or the Facinate this go around lol 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
YIKES! Say it ain't so! I love having NE2, although I should have guessed this was coming since my NE2 discount dropped from by half after my last phone upgrade a year ago.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
CR6
Enthusiast - Level 1

This only affects NEW customers who sign up after January 16th.  Those of us that are already on the NE2 plan aren't affected. 

0 Likes
brianm72

Seeing as buying a Verizon phone through Verizon is a terrible idea in the first place (I bought two Fascinates for $49.99 each at Best Buy when Verizon wanted $149.99 (with my $50 credit) for the 1st and $199.99 for the 2nd), this shouldn't really affect anything.  Since I just renewed my contract in December I'm assuming that means I'll still have the upgrade option once more.

Couple that with Sprint's drastic improvements over the last few years and I may think twice before renewing again next time.

0 Likes
brianm72

It says "customers will no longer be enrolled in NE2 at time of activation/upgrage".  Upgrade means existing customer.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, if you upgrade prior to Jan 16th, you'll still have the annual upgrade or NE2 when you go to upgrade again but after that you'll be subject to the Verizon's new terms.  

0 Likes
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

And they are getting rid of the annual thing also.

For those that didn't know, you could pay new activation price + $35 for a brand new phone between months 13-20 of your contract. This is also going away, and it is the very reason I am still with Verizon (read: LTE phones will be out when my month 13 hits, so I was planning on upgrading then).

Moderators, someone PLEASE comment on this to clarify if CUSTOMERS ON CONTRACT BEFORE JAN 16TH CAN STILL DO THEIR ANNUAL UPGRADE, or if that program is going away entirely. 

Also, for what it's worth, you do have great coverage, but with the ETF, Tiered data packages, and now this, you may have just gone too far.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

More info from droidlife.com

5 things to know:

1.  All customers who activate / upgrade on a qualifying plan prior to January 16th, 2011 are enrolled in NE2 (New Every 2) and eligible to use the NE2 discount for up to six months from the date they become eligible.

2.  Any customer who uses an NE2 credit or Annual Upgrade after  January 16, 2011 will no longer be eligible for either program.  On March 6, 2011, VZW systems will be updated to reflect this.

3.  All customers who exercise the NE2 or Annual Upgrade option on or after January 16th will receive a letter notifying them that it was their last NE2 or Annual Upgrade.

4.  Business customers continue to receive either the two-year corporate matrix tiered device pricing or two-year retail device pricing per contract.

5.  Customers will now be eligible for promotional pricing after 20 months on a 2-year contract and 10 months on a 1-year contract.

0 Likes
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

PJNC284 wrote:

Just thought you guys may be interested in the latest development in Verizon's move to make everyone angry. Apparently they plan on ditching annual upgrades and no longer giving the additional NE2 discount for those eligible on contracts started after Jan 16th.  They better ramp up their OS update testing otherwise a lot of people aren't going to be happy with keeping a phone for 2 years with slow updates.  

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-changing-its-upgrade-policy-youll-have-wait-20-months-new-phon...

[Edited to comply with Terms of Service - removed proprietary image]

[Edited to comply with Terms of Service]

Let me go ahead and post the text from that image, which is not a ToS violation:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 Upgrade Policy:

Overview

Verizon Wireless is simplifying the equipment upgrade policy for customers. Beginning January 16th, 2011, customers will be eligible for promotional pricing as well as special offers that we make available. Changes include retirement of the following programs:

- Annual Upgrade: Customers on 2-yr contracts will no longer be able to upgrade in months 13-20 of their 24 month contract as a standard policy.

- New Every Two (NE2): Customers will no longer be enrolled in NE2 at the time of activation/upgrade after January 16th.

Remember, both of these programs are for customers on 2-year contracts only. So customers on 1-year contracts are not impacted by these changes.

This training will help you understand the changes and provide you helpful information when explaining them to our customers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to edit your original post if you want to copy/paste the above, PJ.

0 Likes
zerocool418

It seems that the pople effected on this change of policy are new costumer or adding a line after Jan 16, 2011.  I got my Samsung Fascinate on blackfriday from Best Buy, upgraded to NE2 as always and paid nothing, yeah Free. When it comes to discounts and sales its always best to look around for the best deals. Best Buy or other store sometime give you a better deal then VZW store does. To be real honest changing of policy just enable the costumer to look else where for a better deal then going stright to a  VZW store.

0 Likes