V GNex EOL, 4.2.1 (and 4.2.2/5.0)
Infotainment
Enthusiast - Level 1

Was hoping to get a few questions answered, a number of threads have been started, but I see more speculation and mod-editing than answers.

Regarding 4.2.x releases:

• Are these forthcoming from Verizon in the near future?
    • If so, is there an ETA?
  • Are these being limited due to LTE concerns, or are these being limited due to a clash in ethos between Nexus & Verizon? (i.e. Wallet vs Isis, clean vanilla user-defined experience vs some carriers lust for bloatware, etc.) Is Verizon afraid that folks would side-load apps like Wallet? Would it help expedite the 4.2.x release if they knew that many of us have no interest in paying with NFC?

Regarding the Verizon Galaxy Nexus end of life:

• Will this have any impact on future security and functionality-driven releases? (Will the releases still be distributed, albeit on a heavily compromised timeline? While I'm puzzled by 4.2.x's delays, I'm genuinely concerned about 5.x.)
  • If so, will Verizon be allowing the OS vendor to handle OTA updates for devices that are deemed financially obsolescent, but are in fact still used by hundreds of thousands of customers?
  • If not, will customers need to rely on unsupported and 'taboo' methods in order to maintain current (albeit potentially compromised by 3rd party) OS security/functionality?

And last but not least:

• Is it safe to presume that Verizon will not be supporting Nexus lines in the future?
0 Likes
Re: V GNex EOL, 4.2.1 (and 4.2.2/5.0)
Brent72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good luck getting answers to any of those questions from Verizon. They offer absolutely NOTHING in the way of help when it comes to stuff like this and they will probably censor my post for saying that. I can't wait until my contract with them is up so I can jump ship!

rotocat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon does not care enough about the paying customer to give any answers that you are looking for.  Sorry.  We are all in the same boat.  I would tell you to buy a Nexus 4 for the same price as a 2 year contract phone on Verizon and go to any GSM carrier.  You will get everything that you are asking for without delay.

DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

You have to understand that vzw greed,  incompetence and lies go hand in hand.  Vzw bloatware doesn't work on 4.2, since they lack the vision or caring  required to get an early start on it... None of the lame apps they provide work on my nexus ten... But wallet (which they claim isnt compatible on my gnex) works fine...  This merely plays into the craven money grubbing sots that comprise their upper  management since the don't need to lift a finger to continue raking in the cash.

They admit, or apologize to nothing.  I do not have a problem with them making a profit... I have a big problem with bait and switch tactics an bald face lies which they conveniently disarm with their terms of use (which ALL service providers do... You either agree or you don't use...).  Amazing how these companies have so similar terms of use...

maybe I'm wrong... maybe come may, we will get a nice update to Android 5.0. Maybe they are holding back on us with 4.2 because they're working on a 5.0 update for us, and they will leapfrog us over the competing carriers to the latest Android operating system. if that's the case then I will gladly eat my words, apologize and cool off.

But I'll believe it when I see it...

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Greetings Infotainment!

You raise a few outstanding questions and concerns in your post. Based on theme, I can tell that your Nexus and the entire device lineup is very important and I intend on providing the best information possible.

Right now, we're eagerly awaiting any news on updates that may be in the working. To help satisfy that anticipation, we've been keeping up to date and checking in frequently at http://bit.ly/n5snpq . When news is announced on devices, updates, or anything wireless, it will be posted there.

Additionally, the same can be said about the Galaxy Nexus line all together. Personally, I believe it is a great device and sure do hope to see more in the future.

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rotocat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Was this written with English as a first language?

On Feb 15, 2013 9:35 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

The question we require an answer to is: are we getting an update coming or not?

Infotainment
Enthusiast - Level 1

EvanO_VZW,

Thank you for taking the time to attempt to respond to my inquiry. The website you direct my attention to is a pleasant piece of promotional/marketing. I knew it was the Year of the Snake, but I wouldn't have known that you were celebrating it at Verizon without the link you shared.

To which I say, "Rock, rock on."

Back to the topic & question at hand: I understand that there are legitimate financial reasons (and perhaps operational reasons) for your organization's repeated delays in a timely release of upgrades to the Galaxy Nexus.

That said, these business reasons are in direct conflict to the principle reason why I, and many thousands of your customers, purchased this device recently. This principle reason was highly touted by your company up until very recently. This was to be a Nexus device, updated quickly from the OS vendor with minimal tweaking from your organization. This is not happening.

Please ask your colleagues to remember this; you can tell from the heated comments from this and other threads that your customers are remembering.

I, and many folks, chose to go with this device with this operating system on your network for the following reasons:

1. We chose the Galaxy device as provided by Samsung (for which Samsung receives money on purchase)
  2. We chose the Android operating system as provided by Google (for which Google receives valuable informatics on our consumer habits.)
  3. We chose your network as it has superb capacity and coverage (for which you get a nice check from us.)

By delay and obfuscation, it becomes apparent that your organization is blurring core service #3 with mission/service that is not necessarily under your purview (1 & 2.) Continued delay and obfuscation on your organzation's part will invariably result in your customers questioning whether your intent relative to the parenthetical benefits of 1&2 above.

I have no interest in Isis. I have no interest in any of your apps. I do like your infrastructure and would like to continue to use your service at the end of our contract's life. Whether I chose to do so, is directly related to your organization's ability to hold up promises made (not inferred, made) when your team sold me this device.

DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Well said!!!!

0 Likes
zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

<Post deleted to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes