Upgrade fee? Really??
JenB54

So Verizon provides a discount to certain companies or government agencies. THEN they decide to charge a $30 upgrade fee to counteract the discount they provide. For example: The phone I wanted was $199 with a 2 year contract. I received a $30 discount through my work. I look at the invoice and there's a $30 upgrade fee added on. So basically the discount is null and void. Needless to say I'll shop elsewhere even though I've been a Verizon customer for at least 10 years. 

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade fee? Really??
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you had browsed the community, you would have seen that there are SEVERAL existing threads started about this topic.

The upgrade fee is cheaper than what other companies' upgrade fee. The upgrade fee was instituted on April 22, 2012.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

it has nothing to do with your discount. i would have to pay $230 for the same phone, so you are still getting a discount. i'm not suggesting that you don't shop around, but i will tell you there will be an activation fee anywhere you go, and an upgrade fee when it is time to upgrade with a different carrier. verizon was actually the last of the major carriers to institute this type of fee. i personally think it's silly, and that they should have just increased the prices on the phones by $30, but what do i know.

0 Likes
timg2009

We have been Verizon customers for more than 10 years.  We upgraded 2 of our phones earlier this year and as usual I had the phones sent to me and I activated.  I have 2 more phones, which I was going to extend the contract on but, with $30.00 per phone that's not happening.  We are going to start shopping for a company that really wants to keep long term relations. 

Did the CEO need a new house?

0 Likes
kymjj

I am with you I have a discount on my line through my employer and it clearly states that we do not have to pay ANY fees but they are charging me anyway. I am done with Verizon they do not care about long term customers the call center people are rude and by the way no in the store ever said a word about an upgrade fee and it was no where on the reciept and I did not have to sign any paperwork while there.

0 Likes
Not applicable

kymjj wrote:

I am with you I have a discount on my line through my employer and it clearly states that we do not have to pay ANY fees but they are charging me anyway. I am done with Verizon they do not care about long term customers the call center people are rude and by the way no in the store ever said a word about an upgrade fee and it was no where on the reciept and I did not have to sign any paperwork while there.

Hate to break it to you but ALL the major carriers have upgrade fees. In fact at&t and Sprint are HIGHER. I guess you intend to play musical carriers every to years to avoid a $30 fee.

Let's see a $600 phone can be had for $200 plus a $30 upgrade fee which is basically a 62% discount yet people feel they are being ripped off? Amazing.

0 Likes
kymjj

Well Brian I do not buy phones. I am a single parent. I wait until my upgrade date. I get the basic phone no 3G or 4G crap. So yes after 6 years of getting the basic no bells and whistles phone and now I have to pay a fee that no one and I repeat no one told me about yes I am switching. And guess what there is not an upgrade fee with ATT if you wait your two years like I have always done with Verizon. But I must say I loved the explanation of the $30 fee which does not even apply to me. This is just another way for a company to stick it to the customers. You dont' care about your customers otherwise you would only have this new fee for new customers not existing customers.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Actually, yes, AT&T does have an upgrade fee which is currently $36 and you would have to pay it if you upgrade with them in 2yrs after you pay your $36 activation fee when you switch to AT&T right now.

0 Likes
kymjj

No actually I would not because my corporate discount would make the activation free and the upgrade fee free so try again there Brian!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

(deleted personal/private information as per )

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator (M)

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

please don't post all your personal info,. on this public forum!

0 Likes