Updates for "palm-top" Samsung Fascinate?
yahflash

I am using my old Fascinate as a "palm-top".  It is only connected to WiFi and not on the Mobile Network (it is NOT being used as a phone in any manner). It was working well as such a device, but needs updates. Unfortunately, it seems to need the Mobile Network running.  How can I get it updated without it costing me an arm and a leg?  Since support is discontinued, I would hope that acquiring an "update.zip" and other required files is not overly difficult and inexpensive (like some internet forum.?.?.?)..

Any help?

Thanks in advance,

Dean

0 Likes
Re: Updates for "palm-top" Samsung Fascinate?
Tidbits
Legend

Samsung Kies Mini I believe is the name of the software which can be found http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-I500RKAVZW#

0 Likes
yahflash

Thanks for the link Tidbits!  I will try that tomorrow and let y'all know...

Dean

0 Likes
yahflash

This did not work for two reasons:

1. My Fascinate does not have Kies Mini on it to begin with and, according to Samsung, is not available for Verizon Fascinates. (Then why do they have a download for it?).  Bottom line, I do not already have the "Kies Mode" for my USB connection which is needed to update it.  And without that, you cannot load Kies onto it.

2. You can ONLY download an update over the air for a Verizon phone.  Even though I don't care if this "phone" has a Verizon monicker or not -- I am using it as a Palm Top, not a phone in any way.  I even tried to see if I can make it some other carrier's "phone" just to get it updated, and no avail.

Silly me for looking at this thing as a WiFi Android "platform".  What a goofball...

Thanks anyway (and I really appreciate your response, Tidbits!).

0 Likes