Updates Failing - Server Unavailable
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

Have 3 fascinates.   2 would OTA just fine.  one would not.

Kept getting 'Server Unavailable'  Code: 500.

Tried soft resets, factory resets, battery pulls. Nothing fixed it.

Called Verizion customer support, had them transfer me to 'tech support'.

Told them the problem, they wanted to send a refurbed phone.  Told then no thank you.

Told them first...Please' deactivate' my problem phone..  then immediately 'reactive' my probem phone.

They seemed unsure, but did it for me anyway.

Took 2 minutes.   When done I turned on phone, did the *228 Option 1 to program.

Then went back to about...system updates..Check new and  VOILA   Phone updated to ED04 just fine !!!

Told tech rep they really need to share this little trick with all tech reps !!  Heck of a lot simpler

than sending out new phone !!

Anway...live and learn : - )

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Updates Failing - Server Unavailable
Not applicable

I'm glad the trick worked to get the phone working properly! I appreciate you sharing this and bringing it to my attention.

We do, in fact, have shared resources within Technical Support so we all can support our customers efficiently and effectively.  We also have trainings so Verizon Wireless can continue to make sure we have these resources to help our customer!

We love doing it!

Many thanks to the community for the contributions! It all helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Such a simple solution, yet so effective! Wow! Deactivate, reactivation. Will wonder never cease?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

Herbb623 wrote:

Have 3 fascinates.   2 would OTA just fine.  one would not.

Kept getting 'Server Unavailable'  Code: 500.

Tried soft resets, factory resets, battery pulls. Nothing fixed it.

Called Verizion customer support, had them transfer me to 'tech support'.

Told them the problem, they wanted to send a refurbed phone.  Told then no thank you.

Told them first...Please' deactivate' my problem phone..  then immediately 'reactive' my probem phone.

They seemed unsure, but did it for me anyway.

Took 2 minutes.   When done I turned on phone, did the *228 Option 1 to program.

Then went back to about...system updates..Check new and  VOILA   Phone updated to ED04 just fine !!!

Told tech rep they really need to share this little trick with all tech reps !!  Heck of a lot simpler

than sending out new phone !!

Anway...live and learn : - )

I have talked about this before and seem no verizon tech listens to this simple solution.. Will they ever learn!!!
0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for sharing valuable tips, as owners it has become painfully obvious that we either help each other or we are lost, Verizon support is very poor at best, because they do not create a database of SOLUTIONS that can be accessed by all their reps for individual phone models and it is impossible for every rep. to be familiar with every problem for every phone they sell.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I'm glad the trick worked to get the phone working properly! I appreciate you sharing this and bringing it to my attention.

We do, in fact, have shared resources within Technical Support so we all can support our customers efficiently and effectively.  We also have trainings so Verizon Wireless can continue to make sure we have these resources to help our customer!

We love doing it!

Many thanks to the community for the contributions! It all helps!

0 Likes
allen268

Hate to tell you this but the Problem is ALMOST solved.... Tried this solution and still no update!!!  Now What????????????????

I've been reading some other posts that some Phones my not be upgradeable??? Does this me I'm stuck with a Defective Phone til my upgrade date in June 2012????

0 Likes