USB device not recognized
maxwellb

I have a new Fascinate.  It was working fine;  I had used Companion link to sync contacts with outlook, and had mounted the USB device.  Also had it tethering using {edit for TOS violation}

.  Used it earlier today - fine.  Now every time I try to connect it via USB (to the same XP computer that worked a few hours ago), I get "USB device Not Recognized".  The phone is charging via the USB and the PC recognized a new device was connecting, but it no longer finds a driver for it.   Of course sync and other apps that require it also no longer work.  I rebooted both phone and pc; no change.  I had loaded some new apps since it last worked, but had not changed any phone settings manually.  I still show installed on the PC the Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones version 1.3.850.0   My Phone has USB Settings: Device seen as mass storage when connected to PC.  Any ideas? 

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: USB device not recognized
spicetrader

Same problem, except mine has never worked. Support on Samsung site is nearly nonexistent. I did find something called PC Studio 3 and allegations that installing it on my PC would fix the problem, but it didn't fix the problem.

0 Likes
Ambreezy
Contributor - Level 3

Hello maxwellb. I have read your post and understand the issue you are experience you with USB cable not being found. You can try going through the debugging process on your device. Here are the steps:

From a home screen, select Applications.
Select Settings.
Select Applications.
Select Development.
Select USB debugging to enable / disable.
 Enabled when a green check mark is present.
If prompted, select OK. 

From a home screen, select Applications.
Select Settings.
Select Applications.
Select Development.
Select USB debugging to enable / disable. Enabled when a green check mark is present.
If prompted, select OK. 

If this does not work you can try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the drivers.

0 Likes
newyearbabie

Can someone tell me where I can go to download the drivers for the Fascinate? I just got mine today, have tried the useless Samsung website, and can't find the driver anywhere.

0 Likes
beebbum

Had the same problem I went into setting menu and went to the USB settings and switched from hard drive to media card and it works great

0 Likes
rjr162

well Windows 7 (64-bit) and the Samsung Fascinate are a no-go. Windows doesn't even see a device is plugged in (even though its charging off the usb) Samsung's support page for that phone is basically non-existent and you can't find any help on verizon's site either. It sucks not being able to use USB to transfer your contacts, move music etc directly via the phone. Instead you have to pull out the MicroSD and use a USB adapter. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Works for me on Windows 7 (x64).  Maybe try deleting the USB Root Hubs in device manager and then letting it redetect.  Are you using any special samsung usb drivers?

0 Likes
VJ1222

Guys,

This isnt all that difficult. As a matter of fact, if my girlfriend has to explain to an i/t manager on how to do it - its NOT difficult at all i can tell you that.

Simply put, once you connect your USB data cable to the phone, you should notice the USB symbol on the upper left hand corner of what is known as the MSG bar. Whether you guys know it or not, you can place your finger ON that message bar and drag it down the length of the screen to see what -if any - messages you have.

You should now see a message saying USB connected. Single press that message and you shoud get a pop-up stating to "mount" or "don't mount" on your screen. Your going to choose MOUNT.

Once you do that, go to your windows explorer and you will see a removable media drive and that will be your phone.

Hope this helps,

VJ

0 Likes
RJBayha

Thank you so very much! This solution worked as described. This should be in the FAQ in both the Samsung and the Verizon sites for the phone! Again, thanks VJ1222!

Side note: the verizon version, SCH-I500, of the phone is not listed at Samsung support site.

0 Likes
KLB123

I have both XP & Win7 computers, and that works on both.

0 Likes