Tracking your phone
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Hello all,

Just wanted to pass on a little information.  It came to light several days ago that the Iphone was being tracked by Apple.  Then it was released that the Android system had same issue.

The Iphone tracking issue can't be disabled by the user (supposedly) however the Android can.  Go into Location and Security and uncheck "GOOGLE LOCATION SERVICES" . Be sure after doing this when prompted by any site or app you select do not reactivate.

The only box you need to select in the Locations and Security is the Stand Alone GPS.  However if you are using VZ Navigator you will need to check VZW Location services also.

Just a little FYI .

0 Likes
Re: Tracking your phone
maryl
Contributor - Level 1

SFObrien wrote:

Hello all,

Just wanted to pass on a little information.  It came to light several days ago that the Iphone was being tracked by Apple.  Then it was released that the Android system had same issue.

The Iphone tracking issue can't be disabled by the user (supposedly) however the Android can.  Go into Location and Security and uncheck "GOOGLE LOCATION SERVICES" . Be sure after doing this when prompted by any site or app you select do not reactivate.

The only box you need to select in the Locations and Security is the Stand Alone GPS.  However if you are using VZ Navigator you will need to check VZW Location services also.

Just a little FYI .

It makes sense since it is location services they could track you. The GPS I found out at least on my phone anyway after Froyo locates satellites faster than when using Google location and standalone GPS together. Big brother continues to watch us.:smileywink:

0 Likes
Re: Tracking your phone
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah, Google tracks everything you do, the difference is Apple will sell your information to third parties, Google does not. In regards to your location being tracked by Google, unless you turn on  your Stand alone GPS what Google tracks is your approximate distance to a cell tower, so it can place your phone in an area, but not to any specific location.

On the other hand a have seen the Stand alone GPS in my phone track my location within 5 feet of were I am....scary accurate.

0 Likes