Re: Thoughts and Opinions on new Gingerbread update
PhilippH

OdeonD,

You're having exactly the same problem I am.  So please do report back ASAP when you figure out what's causing it, and I'll do the same.

The trouble is, I've been bad about installing *far* too many apps.  So I figure there is some app that's installed on the SD card that's doing things behind the scenes that cause the reboot.  But with literally over 500 apps on my phone, and no obvious way of disabling them in bulk, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Perhaps we've got the same app?  Do you have a lot?

Or something else?

I did also notice that once I removed a lot of the media on my SD card, I seemed to have a bit *more* time between reboots.

So it's probably some media player, or something else that likes to scan through the SD card on startup, and explodes when it hits something.

Any further progress on your side?

OdeonD wrote:

My issue with the 2.3.5 update was pretty big and made my phone nearly un-usable: After the installation was completed, my phone would so a "soft" reboot every 60 seconds or so. The download was fine, the install was fine, I saw all of the usual messages, but after it was done, the screen would go blank and I'd hear both the Samsung and Verizon startup tunes. It would take at least 20 seconds to be usable again, then I had about 40 seconds to try to figure out the problem before it would reboot again.

Needless to say, this was extremely annoying and frustrating, but I eventually figured out that it's something that was stored on my MicroSD card. Once I removed the card, the phone ran a heckova-lot faster for just about everything. I was getting very frustrated with my phone before the update since it would freeze up for 10 seconds or so fairly frequently, take several attempts to unlock it using a simple unlock pattern, and have lots of "lag" in responding to taps and swipes.

I'm thinking now that it was all due to something on my card. I started by copying all content to my PC, formatting the card on the phone, then copying everything back, but as soon as I did, the problems all came back again, especially the rebooting. I'm now in the process of copying only select items back to the card, one-at-a-time, to narrow down the problem. My card wasn't full by any means, but it had a bunch of stuff on it, so this process is making me clear out the clutter. It's nice that the phone came with a 16GB MicroSD card, but it seems that the phone will slow to a crawl if I fill it even half full.

So for anybody having trouble after the update, try pulling your memory card and see if your phone's problems disappear too.

0 Likes
yellowboy74
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anyone getting better or worst batterlife since the update?

0 Likes
homesmd

I tried pulling my SD card.....the phone lasted usuable for a little bit longer then with the card.....but eventually it goes into a "black screen state" that can only be recovered from.....by removing the battery. Wow Verizon....wow Samsung! Ironically I just read an article from pcmag that had Samsung at the bottom of the food chain for customer satisfaction....hardware, software and customer support....

0 Likes
melissac1986

I am getting horrible battery life after gingerbread update, my full battery will only last 2.5 hours and that is not even doing anything with the phone, if i make phone calls or text or check FB it will last 1.5 hours.  It's ridiculous and i am very upset about it!!!

0 Likes
oakley2

I'm having the same issure, how do you do the reset?

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

Have 3 Fascinates.  Battery doing just fine after Gingerbread upgrade.

One thing I do after / post each OS upgrade.

- Charge phone fully

- Use phone until it goes completely dead.

- Turn phone off.  Charge via wall charger until fully charged.

- Turn phone on...Use till completely dead.

- Turn off. Charge full again.

From then on , use phone in normal manner charging as necessary or whenevver you want.

Above seems to 'reset' whatever monitors the battery and its charge.

0 Likes
indysilas

After the Gingerbread update my Fascinate has been finally running like it was meant to run.  No freezing up, no extraneous screenshots, NOTHING!  I now have a phone I am happy to say I own.

0 Likes
indysilas

Oh, and the battery life is fantastic!!!

0 Likes
wardcst24
Contributor - Level 2

Same as your two posts love the phone and it is running Fantastic

But I always do a clean install Back every thing up factory reset than Install apps and than restore my texts and call log

Little more work but worth it to have the phone run so nice

0 Likes
jpb1818
I don't like the scrolling in the browser. Before the update I could flick and scroll quickly. Now it stops after a very short scroll, and takes forever to get to the bottom of a page. Also, the browser will not open as "fit" to screen. I've tried all browset settings, but it opens the same way every time. I have to squeeze the browser to downsize it to my screen.
0 Likes