Some Tech Reps ARE there to help...
anyoung1984

So a little background first...this may be a little long but I got a happy ending :smileyhappy:

1. Had a Droid Incredible but when an issue came up and I had to jump accounts and was able to choose any ohone a Verizon store rep convinced me to impulsively get the Fascinate ( I usually research phones for weeks before choosing which one I want)

2. Problems from day one included glitchy UI and constant force closes and freezes...Froyo was supposed to fix these mild issues

3. Took over 6 months for Froyo to be released to the Fascinate when we were supposed to receive it in 2 months

4. Froyo MADE EVERYTHING WORSE!!! My phone went into a constant force close/restart that no one could fix...so they sent a refurb

5. Problems with refurb after "maintenance" update was sent OTA

From then on I had the same problems everyone else was having: email issues, not receiving calls/texts, random screenshot captures, freezing in camera mode and randomly taking picks while "asleep", increased battery drain, etc. So I went into the store and was told they were aware of the issues but all the store could do was a hard rest or a refurb. So I took the refurb, hoping...

Alas that hope desintegrated today when I received my refurb and within 3 hours had missed a call from work and 2 texts from friends..not to mention a dead battery by 1pm..after not using my phone all day except to check Facebook twice :smileysad:

So I decide enough is enough and call Customer Service this evening. Apologized in advance for any rudeness then proceeded to not let the rep get a wrod in edgewise till I explained these important points:

a. I am aware it is a software issue not a hardware issue; a refurbed Fascinate ain't gonna cut it

b. No I am not going to do a hard reset; I am aware this does not fix the problems

c. I have scoured the message boards and I am aware the VERIZON is aware this is an issue with multiple(understatement of the century!) Fascinate users

I was asked what I would consider a solution that would make me a happy customer...my response? I wan't a comparable phone as a replacement. I was offered the Motorola Droid X or the HTC Droid Incredible 2...I chose the Incredible 2 as I LOVED my Incredible and adore HTC phones and UI. I believe the kicker was this response from me..."I am fully aware that sofware issues are the respopnsibility of Samsung and not Verizon. However, I pay Verizon for the service to receive calls/texts and now the software has interfered with that service. It is now Verizon's responsibility. What are YOU going to do for me?"

The rep I spoke to was extremely helpful and never once claimed to not be aware of the issues with the Fascinate. In fact, he never tried to get me to do a hard reset or take another Fascinate refurb. Furthermore, he seemed eager to do whatever it took to please me and keep me a happy customer. So maybe it is the luck of the draw...or maybe it is how aggressively you state your case. Either way I am hapy to be rid of the biggest dissapointment I have ever had when it comes to phones. Samsung has lost a customer in me...Verizon I will give another chance. So guys...there is hope!

0 Likes
Re: Some Tech Reps ARE there to help...
crshinn
Contributor - Level 1

I had the exact same experience (and used the same techniques you outlined) and love my new Droid Incredible 2.  I couldn't be happier. 

So long crappy Fascinate!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

VZW needs to send out a company wide memo to all CS reps so they will all be on the same page and offer what you guys got.  Its hard to understand why you get a different answer and options with each different person you talk to.

0 Likes
nienie

I had the same thing happen after my mother was able to get a replacement.  So I just kept calling and was finally able to get a teir 2 technician to give my options and I ordered the motorola droid x 2.  Keep calling and use the key issues that the other poster left.  It is in your contract to have a working phone.  I threatened opting out of plan (which they lose money on) and switching to another provider company..  I called this number  18009220204...

0 Likes
Ipanaman
I'm finding this all very interesting. I had all of the same problems with my Fascinate that most of you have described; random screen captures, freeze ups, forced closes, etc. All of these started after the latest update. So I took to the Verizon store that I bought it from. The salesperson was puzzled, didn't even know there was a screen capture function, had never heard of the problems I was having. She did a hard reset and lost some of my contacts, most of my latest apps and all of the dates in my appointment calendar. A week later I took it back again because it was still having the same problems, so she ordered another phone. The next day I received my refurbished phone. That ticked me off. I didn't pay for a refurbished phone, I payed $150 for a new phone and if it was defective, I expect it to be replaced with a new phone, not a rebuilt. So I went back to the store.The salesperson informed me that a rebuilt was my only option, that she was on her THIRD REBUILT, (filling me with great confidence) but I didn't see any other options. After another week of problems, and rebuilding my calendar, reloading my lost apps, etc. I got a threatening email from Verizon telling me that they hadn't received my old phone and it could cost me $500. So I called VZW, gave them the tracking number and told customer service about the problems I had been having.They too were baffled, never having heard about any of these problems. I also told her that I was unhappy about receiving a refurbished phone, and that it would be an important consideration when it came time to renew my contract.The only thing she could offer was to let me talk to tech support.I had already been on the phone for almost an hour, so I told her I would do that next week when I had a little more time.Meanwhile I decided to do a little online research, and found this blog. Imagine my surprise to find out that a lot of people are having the same issues, all well documented.So, either the people I have dealt with so far are either incompetent or lying, or both. Anybody that's interested in filing a suit in Colorado contact me, I'm tired of being yanked around. I live in a rural area and each trip to town is a 70 mile round trip, and I'm tired of their games and poor service. I've been a loyal customer for over 10 years and I think I deserve better.
0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon is a large company with many employees, to expect every representative to know every detail of every phone they make is not reasonable, what you ARE entitled to is the service you pay for monthly and the NEW product you purchased to work properly.

The level of satisfaction you receive is in the direct proportion to what YOU will tolerate, Verizon will NEVER implement an across the board NEW replacement or exchange for NEW COMPARABLE phone policy. So what determines what you get is directly related to YOU and what you tolerate. I wish we lived in a perfect world where everything is fair, but we don't.

So if you ALLOW Verizon to exchange your NEW phone for a USED one, that was what you let them do to you, Verizon will NEVER give you anything more than the absolute minimum they can get away with (what you allow) I am not trying to defend Verizon nor am I trying to put down those good people that settled for the minimum Verizon offered them.

I am trying to help, document your problems, be polite but unflexible when you demand satisfaction on your terms, know exactly and without hesitation exactly what will make you happy and deal with the selling end of the business, not the repair end, do not fail to walk into a crowded Verizon store and demand to speak to the store manager and speak JUST loud enough for prospective customers to be aware of your level of dissatisfaction and spell out what will make you a happy customer again, never cuss, never behave or act physically aggressive. Stand your ground politely and refuse to leave that store until the manager has agreed to your terms.  Good Luck.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Some reps are extremely knowledgeable while others don't even know what day it is.  However, the problems with Froyo and the Fascinate should have been discovered in testing, a level way above your average sales rep.

BlackBerry just recently got caught forcing software on carriers whether it was ready or not.  Could Samsung be doing the same thing?

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

nienie wrote:

I had the same thing happen after my mother was able to get a replacement.  So I just kept calling and was finally able to get a teir 2 technician to give my options and I ordered the motorola droid x 2.  Keep calling and use the key issues that the other poster left.  It is in your contract to have a working phone.  I threatened opting out of plan (which they lose money on) and switching to another provider company..  I called this number  18009220204...

Thanks for that phone number
0 Likes
jimde

A replacement product may be a great way to go, who reimburses us for the accessories we have purchased for the fascinate?

0 Likes
jimde

It is becoming apparent that neither Samsung nor Verizonwireless give a rat's behind about the problems we are experiencing with their fascinate hardware/software nonphone.   As long as we continue to pay our bill they have what they want.  They know that they hold the high hand - if we don't pay our bill because of lousy service, they canjust turn off everything in our account.

So we will continue to get lip service from them.  I'm not sure any other carrier is any better, or maybe a little more customer satisfaction oriented, but I think that I will find out when this contract expires.  I am sorry to say that - I have been a Verizonwireless client since the very early 90's - but it's obvious that we don't matter.

This community thread started on 6/11.  We have been assured that they are aware of the problem and that the problem has been referred to samsung.Having been in the hardware/software business for 20+ years I know that a fix shouldn't take a month to fix - if the concerned parties really care about fixing it.

0 Likes