Signal strength 0 dBm
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

The other day I went to check my mail and got a connection error warning me to check my data connection. I looked at my bars and it was empty. I went to settings -> about phone -> status -> signal strength and it was 0 dBm.

I was mad that day and just left it. Usually inside my office I get about -86 dBm like I am getting right now.

I left the town I work in and drove 15 minutes to my town I live in. I forgot about connection until the land line at home rang. The wife was wondering why I was not answering my phone. I checked the fascinate and it was still at 0 dBm. This was 4 hours later since the first time I discovered the 0 dBm signal!  I thought for sure once I got outside it would see towers again on its own, but it did not. Not even after driving past several towers on my way home.

This is the first time I have seen it and I am not happy since this phone has numerous other issues that never seem to get fixed.

I turned off the phone.

I waited a minute and turned on the phone.

During the boot process I saw it lock onto the cell towers again.

Once it was booted I confirmed it was using the towers again.

The phone itself was not fully frozen because I was able to listen to music streaming through Bluetooth during 3 hours of the 4 hour period. The phone responded to me waking it 4 hours to see that the signal was 0 dBm. It is almost like a portion of the phone software stopped and never restarted like  a service on a computer would do.

I am not certain what happened here, but that is just plain sad it even happened to begin with. I hope it never happens again, but I have no faith in the phone at all anymore.

0 Likes
Re: Signal strength 0 dBm
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well great a double post without a double click on the post button. Sorry for the double posting and that is my queue to get off these forum and stop complaining for today.

0 Likes
atalker

I have just recently (last two weeks had this particular issue).

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

atalker wrote:

I have just recently (last two weeks had this particular issue).

Did your phone seem responsive to anything that didn't need the cell signal (data and voice)? Was the only way you got it to see the cell signal again was to power down?

0 Likes