Re: Samsung told me and a VZW rep that 4.0.4 will be pushed on 5-30-2012
aussierescue
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't waste your energy, I see people like these folks that feel the need

to tell us poor ordinary folks with inefficient phones just how much they

know and how we are just overreacting all the time.

Heck could be the same person using a different name.

I am with you people, bought this phone when it came out. My Droid X never

did all the garbage this phone does, the 4g in my area is a joke, my phone

just rebooted 10 minutes ago.

Not sure why VZ doesn't just flipping release the update already. If it was

an iPhone they would have nothing to say about it or stick their greedy

fingers in the way.

COME ON VZ! Get your act together and take care of your customers!

<<  Personal information removed to comply with   >>

Sent from my Google Galaxy Nexus

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

rebretz
Contributor - Level 2

Especially if this phone is how I keep in contact with my family when I am traveling on business. I'm not tacking my personal laptop with me on trips and have to rely on my Nexus, but I can't even talked to them half the time.

0 Likes
MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

It still amazes me how CLs continue to defend VZW and this phone.  Clearly you've not had an emergency and needed to use your phone and it had lost service in a heavy service area. Or needed to use your phone in an emergency and it was in the middle of a reboot.  Or had an extremely urgent incoming call go to voicemail because it had lost service (again).

These are just a few of the issues that affect thousands and thousands of GN phones.  Maybe if the CLs took the time to see other forums on the net where thousands of people are having issues instead of staying in here and defending VZW they wouldn't be so quick to reply with idiotic comments.

It's not just catastrophic, it's an epic fail and I think people at VZW should lose their job over how this has been handled.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i won't defend the phone, but if i got a phone that didn't work, i would return it. i've seen the issues on other forums as well (just like i saw similar issues with the tbolt, bionic, DX, etc, etc). i've just never understood why people keep a device that doesn't work. it would speak volumes to the carriers and manufacturers if everyone that got a bad phone actually returned it.

0 Likes
rebretz
Contributor - Level 2

In come the reinforcements. CL AZ to the rescue.

Why would I return my GNEX, that I bought brand new, for a refurbished GNEX that has the same problems? I wanted a phone free of all the worthless VZ Bloatware Apps that are cluttering up all the phones on this network. If the RAZR MAXX came unmolested with VZ Apps I would of tried to exchange for that.

This fiasco is the carriers own doing. Google has two patches out there for the GNEX that no Verizon customers have. 4.0.3 which we never saw and never will and 4.0.4 which was ready months ago but Verizon kept under wraps. Sprint was able to push it out to their GNEX phones a long time ago.

danbrown
Contributor - Level 1

You definitely have a good point. I know many people that have swapped and/or returned their Galaxy Nexus because of the problem. (which by the way, replacement devices also have the mic and audio problems).

The issue is that there really is no comparable device to switch to. Sure, i can't make voice calls on my Galaxy Nexus, but email, calendar, apps, web browsing and other smartphone functionality is Exceptional on this device. I Love everything about the phone and really don't want to swap just for the voice calling resolution. I have another phone on the account to make voice calls. So, it's a little more complicated than people just unwilling to return a bad phone.

edit: Not to mention ICS

MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

AZSALUKI, I certainly understand your question and it's valid.  You make a good point about what it would mean if everybody returned it.  Unfortunately it's not an option for everybody.  You see, VZW wouldn't take mine back and replace mine with a different model.  They would only replace it with another GN, and a refurb at that, not even a new one.

It was after my 14 day return period that I noticed I was really having some big problems and also realized most everybody else was too.  Then I called into customer service, tech support and even went back to store several times.  I did this for over 2 months to no avail.  Nobody wanted to help me and most everybody said they didn't know of any problems with the GN, but of course we all know there are problems.

It was only after I filled out a nasty survey at www.verizonwirelesssurvey.com, beat up their facebook page, and filed 2 complaints with the FCC that I got a "regional manager" that was willing to help me.  He himself had a GN but swapped it for Razr Maxx.  My agreement with him is that is 4.0.4 is not released in May that I can get a Razr Maxx on Jun 1.

It has been a customer service nightmare for me, for over 2 months.  And I  know for a fact that I'm not the only one that has been through this type of run around.

nexus_truth
Enthusiast - Level 3

With any new phone especially a phone running a brand new operating system there will be problems, the Gnex is just another example of that. If you don't want to take that risk don't get what is considered a developer phone. When I got this phone I knew there would be potential problems and was prepared to install custom roms, but I wanted the flexibility this phone offered and there is no other phone offered by Verizon that has flexibility.

It sounds like you have it all worked out though. You get a Razr Maxx if the update does not come out so I don't understand why you are still complaining so much. Verizon has always been the slowest carrier when it comes to updates and I would expect when the update comes for the Maxx there will be several problems with it. When Google initially released the Gnex ICS update it had several problems including the antenna powering down when the screen went dark. If Verizon released the update then you would've missed a lot of texts and calls.

I can tell you this with certainty when the Jellybean update comes out I'll get it because this phone allows the flexibility to do that, but you won't be able to do that on the Maxx.

mikem84
Enthusiast - Level 2

If the GNex is intended to be a developer phone, don't market it to the masses. There is no warning or cautions given when purchasing this phone. As for installing custom ROMs, your comment shows that you do not pay attention to peoples comments. I've installed multiple custom ROMs with affect on our problems. By the way the 4.0.4 update dosn't fix them either.

0 Likes
MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

You're exactly right. I would MUCH prefer to have the GN and ICS than the Maxx.  But I need a device I can rely on. 

For me - I never felt comfortable flashing a custom ROM, and I didn't want to void my warranty by rooting.  Plus VZW kept telling people the update was coming in March, then April, now May.  Having said that, I never knew this phone would be updated by VZW. I was under the impression it would be updated much faster by Google directly.  I think probably most of us had that impression.  It was not until I later saw Google's released statement saying the CDMA carrier had to "sign" the code before it would be pushed did I realize that I would have to wait on VZW.

So I'm still complaining because I feel so VERY strongly that VZW has seriously screwed this whole thing up badly and I think everybody should (still) complain.  And because I may have to give up my GN - all because they would never release an update they've had in their possession for over 2 months.

0 Likes