Re: Samsung told me and a VZW rep that 4.0.4 will be pushed on 5-30-2012
midimench

If you'd like to wait 4 years for T-Mobile to get 4G LTE, be my guest.  They're use of the term 4G is hype when it's only HSPA+ and not real 4G.  I actually for the first time ever got a VZW rep to tell me the 4.04 update is actually published in her notes for the first time today May 30th.

0 Likes
midimench

I picked up a GNex for my wife from Amazon for $150 3 weeks ago.  It was an upgrade to her Droid 2

0 Likes
midimench

I don't know who you spoke to, but Verizon has never confirmed the update until today, and believe me, I've pressed them hard for several months and never got a promise.  You must know some employee real well to get that kind of info....you're a very lucky guy.

0 Likes
Shinnen13
Contributor - Level 1

If it was purely a developer phone or considered one, it would not be available to the masses. Also, for some of us, it isn't about whether the phone works or not, because though, I do have a few radio problems...I do not have the extent of problems that other people have. My extended battery lasts more than a day with 4g and Wifi on the whole time, I can make calls fine,etc etc....the problem is that we are being lied to, deceived, filled with false information, and being told that "it's just a phone, so chill out," and the likes, not only by Community Leaders, but by Verizon, themselves. For some of us, it is the pure Google Os that we want. Not Android with Blur, or Sense or anything of the sort....just pure Google.

Why you may ask, because it has already been proven time and time again that Blur, Sense and other Manufacturer UI replacements can aid in crashes, problematic restarts, among many other problems.

The Galaxy Nexus was not supposed to have any manufacturer's software...but there is Verizon software on the phone.

The Galaxy Nexus was supposed to get updates as soon as they were released or as close to....not as soon as the service provider had time to get their hands on it and say it was ok....

Galaxy Nexus was supposed to have NFC and Google Wallet, but why was it blocked by Verizon?

How did Sprint release the Galaxy Nexus many months after Verizon but has already pushed the 4.0.4. update?

How can you compare the GNex update cycle to any other phone? The entire Nexus platform is based on quick response and updates from GOOGLE....and it has been pointed out numerous times, that it is Verizon that is interfering with the release.

As well, none of any of the Nexus line was supposed to have service provider branded hardware....

If all of us or any of these points are wrong, why has Google re-evaluated their strategy of how they release their phones? Yes, there will be service provider phones still available, but will be releasing their Nexus types themselves. It is because they realize that these types of delays and the finger pointing game is reflecting poorly on them.

zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

But the reason why the phones were having problems was because of the software issues, not hardware, just read the android blogs like android central, xda, droid-life, etc. If you read the dev community >Post edited to comply with VZW ToS< this update fixed all the main problems the software was causing, all the bugs. The problem was this update was released in february and people had to deal with all these bugs for such a long time, which is pathetic. Granted some of the problems were hardware with some phones, but mostly it was software bugs from a brand new os.

FYI a verizon rep told me it could be up to 3 weeks before you receive this update to your verizon phone when I called today. even though the update is like around 35mb, they are releasing it in very small batches, and based on the phones imei or meid number i forgot which one, which ever is the identity number.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
danbrown
Contributor - Level 1

Well said. That, exactly.

0 Likes
aussierescue
Enthusiast - Level 3

Excellent response!

I too am one of the more lucky ones, maybe random reboots, once in a while

the mike cuts out, the data signal hangs, but the rest I am fortunate. But

I too bought the phone for the GPS experience.

As for the Tmobile retort, please! Did you not read my post, 4g is a joke

in my area, so Tmobile with its 4-7meg beats crappy 4g. Plus 5meg speeds

are more then fine for me. I want a phone that provides what was sold to

me.

I sure wish the FCC or even Congress would investigate VZ and all the manf

and even Google for ripping off the Google Nexus owners.

Sent from my Google Galaxy Nexus

0 Likes
danbrown
Contributor - Level 1

You're right, it definitely is a software problem... if you read more closely the forum you mentioned that I will not from fear of vzw moderator, you will see though that many people flashed the update with baseband and the issues have still not been resolved.

There is much speculation that, while software, there is also an issue of geographical location, possibly related to certain hardware in LTE towers that when paired with the unique radios in this Samsung phone, problems are caused.

So, this update, which Google did not release until May 1st, is supposed to fix audio chirping, reboots, lag and landscape keyboard, but so far it does not fix the one way audio loss on the Galaxy Nexus.

BTW, 39mb update...  better roll out to the masses faster than 3 weeks.    

0 Likes
nexus_truth
Enthusiast - Level 3

A Verizon rep called me this morning and told me this was a second soak test and it will hopefully be out to the masses soon.

0 Likes
danbrown
Contributor - Level 1

This is the first I've heard of it being a second soak test... if that's the case I will be super pissed. Can anyone else verify this? Unbelievable if so. Thanks for the update.

0 Likes