Samsung says Galaxy S getting Gingerbread ... How long for Verizon?
jasorod

According to Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/16/official-samsung-galaxy-s-and-galaxy-tab-getting-gingerbread-up/

Samsung is releasing Android 2.3 for the Galaxy S phones starting in mid-May for the UK, with the rest of the world to follow suite "according to the regional plan" ... I wonder how long it will take Verizon to push out the update this time (or will they simply not do it)?

0 Likes
Re: Samsung says Galaxy S getting Gingerbread ... How long for Verizon?
Shinebox
Enthusiast - Level 3

One year contracts are up in September for early adopters, so they will do it to save face and get two year renewals since there is no more 1 year contracts. Also the difference between 2.2 and 2.3 is minimal, but many if not all users should experience better battery life on it.

0 Likes
LilAbomination
I am excited for the update hope it happens sometime soon^_^. But also I think gingerbread is a significant update as my friend has clean gingerbread on his samsung vibrant and he plays on his phone all day;Yet his phone lasts that entire time and then some with his brightness all the way turned up as well as having both his 3g and wifi on constantly. Also I do not think that he has a low voltage kernal as his phone is overclocked and that's all he changed
0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

It is anybody's guess if the Fascinate will even get an official version of Gingerbread.  I think it will after today's announcement.  I hope it doesn't take as long as Froyo did, hopefully VZW and Samsung will work it out faster this time.

0 Likes
seraph

Honestly, Gingerbread isn't a very big deal. Its cosmetic appearences will probably be overridden by Touchwiz and Swype. NFC and Multiple Camera support isn't happening on Fascinate hardware. VOIP features will likely be blocked by Verizon due to being data-heavy. It's a little more aggressive with task-killing, but at the end of the day, Froyo to Gingerbread is a pretty minor update compared to Eclair to Froyo. We'll probably be better off with minor bug-fix updates for now.

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

SFObrien wrote:

It is anybody's guess if the Fascinate will even get an official version of Gingerbread.  I think it will after today's announcement.  I hope it doesn't take as long as Froyo did, hopefully VZW and Samsung will work it out faster this time.

That would be a surprise if we got Gingerbread after knowing how long it took to get Froyo
0 Likes
darthbubba

If I'd only had Verizon's OTA updates, I'd have taken this phone back a LONG time ago.  Fortunately, I found the SuperClean ROM (which has now been succeeded by the Community ROM, or ComRom for short.)

0 Likes