Samsung Fascinate missing texts since Froyo 2.2 update
scmoonster

I'm sure many of you have already noticed some changes with your fascinate since the Froyo 2.2 firmware update rollout with Verizon.  In my opinion, the update was a downgrade...the battery drains even faster than before, there are lags in the display, and at least a few other pitfalls.

However just wanted to let you know of one other issue that I found that you may not even be aware of: you may now be missing some text messages coming through.

I had a late upgrade, and it's only been roughly one month for me.  Since then, the following has happened to me about 5 times now.

I'll get a notification that I've received a text message (I use the app NoLED).  I then will go to my text messages and find there is no new text message waiting for me to read.  The first time it occurred I thought it might be a fluke, but at the same time, I had been waiting for a text from someone.  The next day, my friend told me they had indeed texted back.  Over the next several weeks I would sporadically have this happen with these "phantom notifications" but no new message.  Since I couldn't figure out who texted me, I would have to logon on to verizonwireless.com and check the usage details for my messaging to find the sender of my received messages and ask them to text me again.  And yes, there was a indeed a message that correlated with someone trying to text me.  Until the recent update, I had never received these "phantom" notifications before and no problems receiving/sending texts.

I was getting fed up so I gave Verizon a call.  They had not yet received any complaints regarding this.  However, my rep also has a Samsung Fascinate and said that she realized that this was happening to her too, but not until I brought it to her attention.  She was also getting notifications that she thought were texts, but there was no new text when she would check and she just assumed that someone had left her a voice message since she doesn't check those very often and that indicator would be up constantly (she does not use NoLED).

My other friend has also been having missed texts and she gets no notifications at all (she also uses NoLED).  She would only know she missed texts because people would text her again asking why she hadn't responded.

The Verizon rep said the only thing to do is to go to the Samsung website and fill out a support form bringing their attention to this problem so that they can come up with a fix on the next update.  A standard reset or master reset will not fix the problem (my rep said that she performed a master reset after her firmware update and this is still happening to her).  I know this takes some time to do, but if this is happening to you, please take the time to let Samsung know about another potential problem with their latest update so hopefully they can fix the bang-up job they did with this last one.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Fascinate missing texts since Froyo 2.2 update
ncb329

Just wondering, but when did you give verizon a call? I reported this problem at the end of May, and have yet to find a solution. It is unbelievably frustrating! We shouldn't have to pay for service on a phone that doesn't even work properly, and it bothers me that they have not provided a solution to the issue, whether it be a replacement phone (NOT Fascinate) or an upgrade that actually fixes the issue.

0 Likes
byarwick
My wife and I both own fascinates and have experienced the same issue with text messages.
0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks so much for your contribution.

There have been numerous posts regarding problems with the Fascinate since the Froyo 2.2 Software update.

I actually happen to be a Fascinate user.  Trust me, I know how frustrating this is for you.

We, here at Verizon have lifted this up to Samsung to see if there was a software "patch" that would resolve these issues.

On 6/7/11 there was another update that corrected some phones, while others continue to remain affected.

Please go to Setting>About Phone>System Updates>Check new to see if you do have the most recent software version (S:i500.04 V.ED04) You can also check that version by going to Settings>About Phone>Baseband Version

If you do have the most recent version, please PM your name & number in order for us to assist you.

0 Likes
bulldog69
Contributor - Level 2

scmoonster wrote:

I'm sure many of you have already noticed some changes with your fascinate since the Froyo 2.2 firmware update rollout with Verizon.  In my opinion, the update was a downgrade...the battery drains even faster than before, there are lags in the display, and at least a few other pitfalls.

However just wanted to let you know of one other issue that I found that you may not even be aware of: you may now be missing some text messages coming through.

I had a late upgrade, and it's only been roughly one month for me.  Since then, the following has happened to me about 5 times now.

I'll get a notification that I've received a text message (I use the app NoLED).  I then will go to my text messages and find there is no new text message waiting for me to read.  The first time it occurred I thought it might be a fluke, but at the same time, I had been waiting for a text from someone.  The next day, my friend told me they had indeed texted back.  Over the next several weeks I would sporadically have this happen with these "phantom notifications" but no new message.  Since I couldn't figure out who texted me, I would have to logon on to verizonwireless.com and check the usage details for my messaging to find the sender of my received messages and ask them to text me again.  And yes, there was a indeed a message that correlated with someone trying to text me.  Until the recent update, I had never received these "phantom" notifications before and no problems receiving/sending texts.

I was getting fed up so I gave Verizon a call.  They had not yet received any complaints regarding this.  However, my rep also has a Samsung Fascinate and said that she realized that this was happening to her too, but not until I brought it to her attention.  She was also getting notifications that she thought were texts, but there was no new text when she would check and she just assumed that someone had left her a voice message since she doesn't check those very often and that indicator would be up constantly (she does not use NoLED).

My other friend has also been having missed texts and she gets no notifications at all (she also uses NoLED).  She would only know she missed texts because people would text her again asking why she hadn't responded.

The Verizon rep said the only thing to do is to go to the Samsung website and fill out a support form bringing their attention to this problem so that they can come up with a fix on the next update.  A standard reset or master reset will not fix the problem (my rep said that she performed a master reset after her firmware update and this is still happening to her).  I know this takes some time to do, but if this is happening to you, please take the time to let Samsung know about another potential problem with their latest update so hopefully they can fix the bang-up job they did with this last one.

Thanks!

Well my son has had Fascinate since January and never did the Froyo update and his phone works just fabulous and he uses all the time. He sends and recieves over 4

0 Likes
bulldog69
Contributor - Level 2

Well my son has had Fascinate since January and never did the Froyo update and his phone works just fabulous and he uses all the time. He sends and recieves over 4000 texts a months and no complaints. To bad people went with 2.2 on this phone

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

bulldog69 wrote:

Well my son has had Fascinate since January and never did the Froyo update and his phone works just fabulous and he uses all the time. He sends and recieves over 4000 texts a months and no complaints. To bad people went with 2.2 on this phone

That is good news for your son, but most of us needed the 2.2 for seveal reasons, mainly having flash and being able to load programs on your SD card
0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

TamaraH_VZW wrote:

Thanks so much for your contribution.

There have been numerous posts regarding problems with the Fascinate since the Froyo 2.2 Software update.

I actually happen to be a Fascinate user.  Trust me, I know how frustrating this is for you.

We, here at Verizon have lifted this up to Samsung to see if there was a software "patch" that would resolve these issues.

On 6/7/11 there was another update that corrected some phones, while others continue to remain affected.

Please go to Setting>About Phone>System Updates>Check new to see if you do have the most recent software version (S:i500.04 V.ED04) You can also check that version by going to Settings>About Phone>Baseband Version

If you do have the most recent version, please PM your name & number in order for us to assist you.

ED04 is pretty much junk too.  Hit and miss on most devices.  Where is the 6/30 update that has been posted on this site?

0 Likes
DoraMacLeod
I got my Fascinate at the beginning of May and am having the same problems. My texts go through a day late, if they go through at all, even though they show as being sent. Further, I miss somewhere around 20 texts a day (they just do not show up, and I know they are being sent as the people have then inquired as to my lack of response).

In addition, when I do receive texts, if I am looking at my text inbox and can read part of the new text message I just got, when I open the actual thread, it shows nothing new. When I return to the message box, it shows nothing. So I get a very fast glimpse of the first sentence of the new text, and then it disappears. FRUSTRATING.

I have updated my software and the problem still exists. The phone has also been re-programmed, and it still exists.

This is ridiculous.
0 Likes
scmoonster

Tamara, thanks for the info but yes, I do have the most recent update version which my Verizon rep already checked while I was on the phone with her.

I guess we'll just have to wait until Samsung has a patch for this.

0 Likes