Samsung Fascinate does not sync POP3 email automatically
inseek

Hi,

Recently upgraded from HTC INC to Fascinate mainly because of the screen size and better sunlight visibility. My HTC worked just fine, both with 2.1 and later with 2.2 Froyo, never had any problems with any of POP3 and GMAIL accounts - they were set to check for new messages every 5 minutes.

It is a different story with Fascinate. Gmail accounts sync just fine as far as I can tell you, but my POP3 account which is set to sync every 5 minutes, does not sync unless I turn the phone "On" or manually open the account. Please note, I am not using Wi-Fi, just 3G and GMAIL sync without problems at the same time giving me a ring every time new message arrives. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is disabled on my phone.

This is unacceptable and this bug (along with many others on this phone) should be fixed ASAP! One of the main reasons people buy a smartphone is because of email. First, Samsung decided to go without any message lights on this phone, and now for whatever reason we even can't have a signal that a new message has arrived unless we check and refresh manually each POP3 (and I believe I tested it with IMAP as well, which btw does not allow you to move messages to folders which is the main reason you'll use IMAP, but that's another story) account !?!

Verizon/Samsung, please fix this mail sync issue!!!!

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Fascinate does not sync POP3 & IMAP email automatically
inseek

Just tested with IMAP account and it does not sync. I must also say that the Fascinate phone I am using right now is brand new phone that just came today, the one I was using before this last 5 days failed and I sent it back to VZW. Both phones act the same way so it is not a defective phone, it is a bug with email client on this phone.

There is another thing I noticed about POP3/IMAP client. Sometimes it will just stuck on "Downloading messages..", will show rotating ring in the top bar but will not update/download new messages unless you kill the process with Task Killer or power cycle the phone. At the same time while email client is unable to download messages, you can browse internet via browser so there is no problem with 3G network.

0 Likes
inseek

Update: Time to time the sync works fine the way it should. When I got my first Fascinate, IMAP sync worked just fine for a while, and then the problems began. I was thinking that some of the apps I installed cause the problem, so when I got the replacement device this morning, the only thing I installed over stock apps was Google maps. I am using TouchWiz and all phone's factory default setting. After experiencing problems with POP3 almost the whole day (and was forced to power cycle the phone twice in order to get latest emails coming at the same time on my Outlook), all the sudden it started syncing again 15 minutes ago. Will see how long it will last... I am using IMAP at this moment that wasn't syncing last 2-3 hours..

0 Likes
Phase3Linda

I have the same problems with POP3 emails:

- unpredictable syncing - sometimes works, most of the time it doesn't

- manually attempting to sync results in 'Loading Messages' endlessly

In my case, no other apps have been loaded other than what Verizon provided with the phone. 

The whole reason I moved to this phone was to enable mobile email.

Did yours continue syncing appropriately?  Any suggestions for me?

[Please keep it clean - Thanks!]

0 Likes
mikemctx

I have had the same issue and worked extensively with Verizon and Samsung to troubleshoot.  Here were the troubleshooting techniques that didn't accomplish anything:

1) Delete Account, Reinstall Account

2) Factory Data Reset, Reinstall Account

3) Replace Samsung Fascinate with another new Samsung Fascinate

Finally got to Samsung Technical Support Level 2.  In my case they determined that the problem was that I was trying to access a Roadrunner POP3 account and Samsung doesn't work very well with Roadrunner and they said they have no plans to address this.  Apparently Roadrunner uses a different protocol that Samsung doesn't communicate with very well.

They provided 2 workarounds:

1) Don't try to access Roadrunner mail.  Have gmail your Roadrunner mail and then have phone get gmail.  (Not a good solution for me)

2) Use K-9 mail app to get Roadrunner mail.  I've been doing this and it seems to work 95+% of the time.

I provided this feedback to Verizon Wireless technical support in hopes that they could get Samsung to come up with a better resolution.

Just my experience - for what it's worth.

Mike 

0 Likes
Phase3Linda

Thanks for the reply, Mike.  I'm also on Roadrunner, unfortunately.  Because the email address is a domain showing my business name, moving is painful and involves changing a number of employee's computers.

I'll give the K-9 app a try.  If that doesn't work, it looks like I may be better off returning the Fascinate and moving to a provider that is more 'friendly' to Roadrunner and other POP3 mail servers.

0 Likes
mikeinaz

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem.  Switched to Fascinate from Droid because I got tired of the Droid issues and unfortunately that resulted in new issues...sigh...  Why can't VZW give us phones that do as advertised.  I'm using Cox as email provider, (3 accounts) and a hotmail account, all with the same results.  Tech support from VZW and Cox is totally worthless on this issue with each blaming  the other for the problem.  A VZW tech support indicated that a fix was in the works, but I think he read it off this board.  Sure wish we could get this resolved

0 Likes
Phase3Linda

Your VZW contact may have been reading from the Fascinate Known Issues list.  That was released (or leaked) back in September and can be found in numerous locations on the web.

Here's an exerpt, just the known issues related to email.  I'm hoping that the "Email Sync" fix is closely related to the POP3 problems many people experience with the Fascinate.  I'll probably run into the 30-day return wall before seeing the update, though...

Known Issues:

No Message Delete Status:
When deleting e-mails there is no status indication that this is taking place so users may feel that the device is locked up when it is just actively deleting e-mails
Short term work around: There is no short term work around for this issue
Planned Resolution: A fix for this issue is under review for inclusion in a future MR.

Email Sync:
In some cases exchange e-mail and yahoo mail can stop syncing
Short term work around: The user can manually sync
Planned Resolution: A fix for this issue will be included in the MR 1 release for this device.

Snyc Error:
In some cases when the screen goes dark while syncing the device will display the error “unable to open connection to server”.
Short term work around: The user can manually sync
Planned Resolution: A fix for this issue will be included in the MR 1 release for this device.

Exchange Security Policy Email Password:
There is no ability to change the device password after Exchange security policy is applied. There is no password option in the Location & Security settings menu, only swipe unlock settings
Planned Resolution: A fix for this issue is under review for inclusion in a future MR.

Exchange ActiveSync Security Lock Screen:
When the EAS security is invoked, a new lock screen is introduced. Also the unlock icons do not line up with the border of the wallpaper.

Exchange ActiveSync Security Lock:
The EAS security lock may be invoked earlier then the timer is set for.

New Account Sync Frequency Default:
When a user sets up a Pop 3 e-mail account on the device the default e-mail sync frequency is defaulted to never.
Short term work around: The user should change this setting to every hour

Corporate Email Policy Special Characters:
When Corporate email policies require the device to have a password, special characters are not supported

Corporate Email Inbox Error:
In some cases users may receive the error “Unable to open connection to server” intermittently when attempting to refresh their corporate email inbox

0 Likes
LandLockedPH

This known email issue was supposed to have been fixed by an update that occurred in September... I think around the 22nd.  It was not.

I've since installed and been using K9 Mail from the Market and don't have the problem.  K9 Mail is more customizable (almost too much so), and it works.  Give it a try.

I'm sure this will be fixed with the default app when we get the Froyo (Android 2.2).update.

0 Likes
mikeinaz

K-9 seems to work.  Too bad you get one of the most advanced smart phones, and it can't handle mature technology (POP mail accounts).  So much for industry standards!    Don't hold out too much hope for v 2.2 it was very flaky on my Droid.  Since the fascinate seems to work now, don't want to mess with it.  Seems like VZW and Samsung have taken a page out of the Microsoft play book.  Rush to market whether it is ready or not and then update as necessary.

0 Likes