Re: Samsung Fascinate does not sync POP3 email automatically
Reconguru

My email is very important to me.  I can't get mine to sync automatically and I miss many important emails.  This cost money and I am unhappy with the fascinate.  Setting up email was easy on some accounts, but not all.  Took a lot of my time and it still does not work.

My Iphone and Storm work perfectly.  I may return the Fascinate soon.

0 Likes
loneMADman

Folks, avoid the frustration and simply install K9 Mail app.  It's free and works great.  It's also much better than the default Verizon / SS mail app.

0 Likes
portopa

My wife and I bought Samsung Fascinates on the same day.

After (2) months of worsening POP3 performance, ending with my wifes phone receiving no email at all for 8 days, I finally installed K9.  It works perfectly, leading to this conclusion:  There is nothing wrong with the phone, or my POP provider, it is simply a bad default email program on the phone.  

Issues we had with the default email program:

• Some email received with year of 1900
  • No auto-sync, though it was set to check every  5 minutes
  • Some email that had been downloaded would disappear, on at a time,  right before our eyes
  • Manual sync would sometimes work

Things we tried, to no avail:

• Phone Factory restore
  • Delete POP account and re-create on phone
  • Check and reconfirm all POP settings many times

I work in IT, and I figure a team of 6 people working for a week or less could easily identify and resolve this problem.  POP mail has been around forever, and it isn't that hard to troubleshoot.   Why Verizon would rather have hundreds, if not thousands, of new customers swap out their Fasinate phones makes no sense to me.  And imagine how many potential new customers are choosing to buy other phones, with other providers, after hearing about the Fasincate email problems. 

Verizon is probably losing hundreds of thousands of dollars on this issue in the short term alone.  You'd think someone in the company would point this out to the people who are supposed to care about the bottom line.  Don't they have a company suggestion program or something??

Anyway, thanks to all who suggested K9 Mail.  Wish I had loaded it weeks ago.

0 Likes
LandLockedPH

It may take a team of six if they're working in India like most of Verizon's tech support.

0 Likes
Lakin

I saw the post about K9 Mail app to solve my POP3 mail problems, but a google search of the k9 mail app states that it sucks the battery life very fast (and "ran the cpu at 90%).  Has anyone here who is trying the k9 mail app found that it sucked their battery down by running the cpu constantly???

0 Likes
Phase3Linda

For those successfully using K-9, did you first delete all other email accounts in your Fascinate?  I attempted to install K-9, but could not get it to successfully configure (email tests failed) with the same SMTP and POP3 server settings I used in the default email app.

0 Likes
Genevajo

This is EXACTLY the same problem I have! I continually have to shut phone off and turn back on to get my emails.....I have 3 phones on Verizon for over 10 years (my daughter's Blackberry does NOT have this problem) - I do not want to switch carriers but this problem is really not acceptable.....Please Verizon can we address this?!

0 Likes
HeidiU

I am having similar problems with my new fascinate. I have yahoo and even manually syncing is not working. I installed the Yahoo App and its works ok to see email but not to reply. when I reply, It stays in outbox indefinitely. NO idea why.

I consider myself fairl techie but I cannot seem to follow this thread at all. Any ideas to help me?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Bri333

I continue to have these same problems. The phone works smoothly for a corporate Exchange account. But all my POP accounts it bombs. Sometimes turning phone off and on helps, but not always. Sometimes outgoing messages stay in Outbox and will not Send (even after phone is turned off and on).

K-9 worked at first but is now not working smoothly. I keep polling off and manually check for emails, but it has some of the same POP issues as the default Fascinate email program.

As my job is abandoning Exchange I'm very concerned that I won't get my work email smoothly and that is why I bought this phone. Verizon--it is imperative you work with Samsung to get this fixed. I bought the phone specifically to be able to see my email all the time.

0 Likes
JaziJoi

Wow!  This is really getting scary listening to all of the email problems.  :smileysad:  I thought I had my mind made up to purchase the Fascinate.  But my email is the life blood to my business.  I can't have a phone that will compromise me receiving my email. 

From listening to everyone's threads, I either have to purchase the K9 app, which by the way, where do you get this?  Who is the maker?  Or, I need to forward all of my email accounts (all 4 of them including my business email) to a gmail account, which responding from a gmail account won't look very professional in my opinion.  :smileymad:

Are these the ONLY options? 

I'm looking to take advantage of my new every two, which comes up in March or I can take advantage of the early upgrade available to me now.  I went to Sam's Club today and could have purchased it for $119.00 and I thank God that I didn't have my debit card with me.  Because after reading this, I would have been HOT, if I purchased it and ended up with a mess with my emails. :smileymad:  I have a roadrunner account.  All of my emails are POP3 accounts.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me where to check out the K9.  And also, has anyone heard of and is using Link 2 Exchange as a email solution?

These threads are so VALUABLE!!!  I only hope that Verizon/Samsung are reading these and truly considering taking action.  To have this many disgrunteled clients is not good. :smileysurprised:

0 Likes