Samsung Fascinate FAQ (Get your Fascinate questions answered here)
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

For current and prospective owners, I figured it'd be a good idea to have a place for common questions and other questions that may come up.  Please don't hesitate to post other questions or tips that may help fellow Fascinate owners.

Is the Fascinate limited to using Bing for searches? Can I download Google Navigation?

Bing is the default app for searches and there is no way to change that.  Any searches entered into the address bar in the stock browser (work around is to use the Dolphin HD web browser) or performed by the search key (including voice search) will go through Bing.  It really isn't that bad imho but it is annoying that it's something you can't and won't be able to change.  Note that you aren't blocked from downloading Google Maps from the Market so you can still use Google Navigation as usual.  Verizon will be allowing the use of the Google Search widget in the next update but you won't be able to change the default search engine. 

Does the Fascinate have GPS issues?

Anyone who owns the Fascinate or are considering it are probably aware of the GPS issues that are plaguing the current Galaxy S phones.  I was a little skeptical of purchasing the phone initially since I use Google Nav a lot and decided to test it yesterday.  It took a few minutes of moving before it found satellites to use but it performed well once locked on.  During my ~400 mile, 8hr journey, it never lost me once and kept up even when I hit pockets where I lost cell signal all together.  While certainly not perfect, GPS on the Fascinate works adequately and shouldn't be a deal breaker.

How do I use the camera?

The camera has a push to autofocus feature.  Just touch the screen where you would like the focal point of the image to be and then hit the camera on the screen to take the picture.  I'm not aware of any way to manually zoom

Does the Fascinate have a notification LED like the other Android phones?

No.  Not sure why samsung felt the need to exclude this on a high end phone but it is what it is.  I'd suggest using an app from the market called NoLED if you need a visible aleart for your notifications.  It displays a colored dot on the screen that moves around when you receive a notification and the color can be customized for the basic alerts (gmail, missed calls, texts, etc.)

My phone will disconnect me if I'm on a call and accidentally hit the search key. wtf???

This is a known issue with no known work around other than not hitting the search key.  It's supposed to be fixed in the next update.

Is there a way to keep the backlight on longer for the soft touch buttons?

Currently no.  This is also supposed to be fixed in the next scheduled update.

Is there a list of known issues?

As with every new phone, there is always some issues.  The Fascinate is no different and below are a few of the notable issues.

"

• Alert Notifications:
 There is no option to change the Calendar alert notification. 
Short term work around: There is no short term work around for this issue.
  • Blank Screen: 
If you are on a call and a second call comes in, you get the correct Caller ID information. If you answer the second call, the caller ID screen goes blank and does not show any caller information. 
Short term work around: There is no short term work around for this issue
  • Email Sync: 
In some cases exchange e-mail and yahoo mail can stop syncing
Short term work around: The user can manually sync
Planned Resolution: A fix for this issue will be included in the MR 1 release for this device.
  • Exchange ActiveSync Security Lock:
 The EAS security lock may be invoked earlier then the timer is set for.
  • Google and Bing Maps Latency:
 It has been reported that it takes longer then other devices to get GPS location information when using Google and Bing maps. 
Short term work around: There is no short term work around for this issue
  • Call Disconnect:
If you are on a call or in the process of receiving an incoming call and you press the search button the call may be disconnected."

http://http://http//community.vzw.com/t5/Samsung-Fascinate/Leaked-Verizon-document-reveals-all-known...

Source: http://http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/09/10/samsung-fascinate-known-issues-document-leaks/

Is there a user guide for those who don't have the Fascinate?

The user guide can be downloaded here

When will the Fascinate get Froyo?

There is currently no ETA on when it will receive the 2.2 update.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Fascinate FAQ (Get your Fascinate questions answered here)
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

This post of yours remidns me of Mike's post. His post is excellent. See here--->Android phone. Some of the Fascinate users could most likely use some of the info he shared

0 Likes
Swliles89

Samsung Fascinate since last Thursday and no big issues here as of yet,and that's after many,many hours of childlike playing,experimenting,and just general exploration of the device.True,the phone doesn't have Google as it's base search engine but who cares just flow with the work around and don't cry about it,it's not the death of a family member,it's a mobile device.The thing Iam however anxious about is the Froyo 2.2 update for the Fascinate.I'd really love to be able to put all my apps to that rather large 16 Gb card :] .

0 Likes
Joechilll

I was in the Verizon wireless store today and I explained to the rep why I will not buy the Facinate.I mentioned that the icons in the bottom cannot be changed.Well he proved me,cnet and other reviews wrong.YOU can change the icons at the bottom. I did it myself. All you do is touch the tiny gear looking icon thats at the top left of the screen.All the icons will then look like they are highlighted.Press and hold the one you want then drag it down to the bottom.ALSO I told him about bing being the default search and maps.He told me for a fact  the new update is coming and(He got a notice from Verizon) it will allow  you to change default search and maps to Google

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, the dock icons can be modified and you can also rearrange the app icons in the drawer so you can move your most frequently used apps on the first page.  Props to the rep for actually knowing how to work the phone but I wouldn't trust him on comment regarding the default search engine to change.  The word directly from Verizon based on numerous reports is that the update will allow Google Search to be downloaded so you can use the widget but it won't allow you to remove Bing as the default search engine.  So basically pressing the search soft key will still default to Bing. 

0 Likes
elizabethj6

How do I sync my itunes with my fascinate?  I have Windows 7.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
This is Sticky Post worthy! Nice write up.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Leslie1
Contributor - Level 1

DoubleTwist - A popular and elegant desktop application along with an optional custom player( http://www.androidcentral.com/android-quick-app-doubletwist-player)available ) on the Market. The desktop client has both Mac and Windows versions and allows full syncing in addition to limited browsing of podcasts, music from Amazon's MP3 Store, and Android apps. http://www.doubletwist.com/ .

0 Likes
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

Another way to move around your app icons, including the main ones at the bottom of your phone: when in the app menu, hit the main menu button at the bottom of your phone.  Select "Edit."  You can now long press on an icon and move it wherever you want.  The only main button you can't move is the "Home" button.  Other than that, you can move the apps to whatever order you like and also re-arrange the main apps at the bottom of your phone.

Also, if you want LED notifications and possibly ringtone notifications, there is an app in the market called "Missed Call."  Make sure to select the one for Android 2.x.  It allows you to set ringtones to notify you at set intervals if you missed a call, text, etc.  It also allows you to set up an LED notification.

As for Bing, it really is not the big deal people are making it out to be, other than that Verizon did not allow you to choose which search engine you wanted.  You can easily created a Google shortcut on your phone and it will take you directly to the Google search page.  I have that shortcut on my homepage and I have never used the Bing search function.  Plus, you can still download Google Maps.  Another good app is Google Shopper, which allows you to scan UPC codes to see where the item is being sold in other stores in your area and for what price.  It allows you to comparison shop.

0 Likes
joemama

unlike other samsung phones, is there a reason why the fascinate does not alert you, via sound, when the battery is fully charged in order to avoid overcharging & having to eventually replace the battery?

additionally & more importantly, please tell me there is a better way of deleting multiple e-mail messages other than hitting the checkmark to the right of each message.  the phone seemingly cannot handle more then 6 - 10 at a time & there should be a way, similar to the Omnia II where you can select all messages or all below a message & delete in one click.

thank you

0 Likes