Samsung Fascinate Constant Dropped Calls
akb1249

Hi there, I've had my samsung fascinate for less than a month and I'm having major issues. Almost right away, the phone started dropping calls. It drops every conversation I have at least once. So I went into the store after the second week and they sent me a replacement phone. I activated it and sent away my old phone. The same day, the new phone started dropping calls. So, the next day I went into the Verizon store and they called the tech services and did a switch update, whatever that might be. I'm not exactly sure. The guy gave me my phone back, saying that I should be all set. Of course, this wasn't the case. It kept dropping calls. So then I tried calling *228 and updating my roaming capabilities, still no change. Today, I called the verizon tech services myself and told them about my issue, but all the guy said was that my phone has only recorded two dropped calls since I got it, so he doesn't see anything wrong. He said that I should start recording when my calls drop by hitting # # # send so then they can analyze it more in terms of where I am at the time. I will do this, but I'm sooo incredibly frustrated. They also had me update my roaming capabilities again.

No matter where I am, it drops the calls. I can have no service, or I can have 4 bars and it will still drop. It's not specific to the person I'm calling either. It drops in EVERY conversation. I'm just getting so tired of calling back whoever I'm talking to, just to have it drop again. It's seriously incredibly frustrating and I don't know what else to do. I don't have the money to cancel this phone and pay for a new one.

Anyone have any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Fascinate Constant Dropped Calls
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

I understand your frustrations and concerns you are having with your Samsung Fascinate.  I actually have the same device and would like to assist you with finding a solution to the problem.  Figuring you are experiencing these dropped calls in multiple locations we know its not a network or tower issue.  However, there was a recent software update to the Fascinate that addressed signal issues.

I would like to suggest going to Settings icon > then About phone > System updates > then Check New.  Most current version is I500.ED04.  The updates just started pushing out to devices on 6/9/11, and the manufacturer is still in the process of pushing those updates out to devices in stages.

Let me know if that helps with your signal, dropped call issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DM6156

I've experienced similar issue with dropped calls, but for me, it was only at my house. After many intermittent calls to vz (I was simply too angry/frustrated to call after every dropped call) vz sent a tech out to measure signal quality in my neighborhood and turns out i live in what they said was a "marginal coverage area".  They presented 2 options, cancel contract with no fees or try a network extender.  This was after having swapped phones several times - you may have to do this a few times to appease them. For you, if you are traveling in areas with differnet towers, the network extender is not an option. it uses broadband to make calls.

I'd suggest you call and report EVERY dropped call. Even if you just call once a day, note the times of the dropped calls and who the call was with (phone # and if you know if they are on or off network) and if the call was outgoing or incoming.

I know, it's going to be a major inconvenience for you. SORRY, i know how you feel, been there and done that, but after being persistent enough, you CAN get results.    Sad to say it wasn't  until the vz tech was attempting to help me and was disconnected at least 5 times in a few minutes that vz FINALLY took action and tested the signal in my neighborhood.

Be persistenat and Good luck!

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

I understand your frustrations and concerns you are having with your Samsung Fascinate.  I actually have the same device and would like to assist you with finding a solution to the problem.  Figuring you are experiencing these dropped calls in multiple locations we know its not a network or tower issue.  However, there was a recent software update to the Fascinate that addressed signal issues.

I would like to suggest going to Settings icon > then About phone > System updates > then Check New.  Most current version is I500.ED04.  The updates just started pushing out to devices on 6/9/11, and the manufacturer is still in the process of pushing those updates out to devices in stages.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

AnthonyTa_VZW wrote:

AnthonyTa,

Not trying to interfere but have you read about all the issues in above threads with ED04?  I don't know if I would recommend updating to it right now. It is hit and miss on working correctly.  I would hate to see the guy go from dropped calls to not getting calls.

0 Likes
WandaH

My phone is at version SCH-I500.ED05 and I still am having dropped calls.  This forum problem has not been solved.

0 Likes
Himdroids
Enthusiast - Level 2

drops more calls than come through!

0 Likes
Himdroids
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon CS no help at all with this issue.  They wanted us to swap people around on our accounts, offered to send a charge but had to renew a two year contract, or another phone she didnt want.   I went to the BBB with this.  They know the phone is messed up and missing calls but make you jump through all these hoops for nothing?  There should be a class action about this phone.

0 Likes
JenniElle

Let us know how the claim with the BBB goes, please!

I've been seriously considering filing a complaint with the BBB myself due the the run around with this phone and Verizon refusing to do anything about it but force me to take another refurbished phone that I don't want and won't fix the problem. It's clearly not a good product with a multitude of known issues.

I've been pushing to re-upgrade to a PHONE OF MY CHOICE since this phone clearly has issues. I am not even asking for a free phone or even a refund for what I paid for the Fascinate, Im just asking Verizon to let me re-do my upgrade since they sold me (and everyone else who stupidly bought a Fascinate) a horrible product with so many problems. I don't want another refurbished phone that they force you to take of "like" quality....because, lets face it, the Fascinate is obviously not very good quality.

0 Likes
BabySheep

I am having the same problem! I have experienced this before with Verizon and MANY Blackberry's... After about 2-3 referbs I am sick and tired of playing the game as I am sure you are. In the past when this has happened I would call and explain my dilemma to a representative (very nice and calm, you can't get them to do what you want if you are mean), I explain I am a 10+ year Customer and for one feel I should be grandfathered into the whole 1yr upgrading they used to do, but I am willing to pay a discounted price for a new phone and I refuse to continue getting the same model. If the person I spoke with doesn't break say thank you and next day or a few hours later call back! I simply say "I would like to know how much it would cost me to cancel all my lines of service today?" of course I got my answer but then the guy asked why... So I explain and repeat my frustration with the other very rude representatives. The man apologizes profusely and agrees with me... I get 2yr upgrade price on a new phone... Stupid me picks the Fascinate and I am about to go threw it all again... I am a long time customer and Don't mind being patient and making calls cause you will eventually get the right rep and be happy... Or hey it may be cheaper to cancel and switch to a new provider than buy a phone at full price... My advice stick with it be nice and patient, It has worked for me many times I never go over 1yr with the same phone and a couple years with the Blackberry's it was a couple phones a year.... I have never paid over 2yr promo price for a new phone.....

0 Likes
edamon

I have the Fascinate and Charge.

Both drop calls on a consistant basis (7-8 times a day at least) with full bars and signal sitting at -71 dBM (which is pretty healthy).

The Fascinate is the worst of the two, it drops calls easily 10-12 times a day. This is a known issue and reported by many across the web (and I'm running v. ED05).

Bottom line is this phone is lemon and has been from the get go.

Btw, I've wiped the phone, factory reset the phone, etc. Nothing addresses the issue.

-d

0 Likes