Reverb issue, can anyone replicate?
Chris3D

Hi everyone, I'm hoping one (or a few) kind souls can try to replicate an issue I'm having with my phone - the earpiece seems to play back what the mic records, meaning my voice, my breath, everything.  It's very distracting and very annoying.

To replicate it, while on a call, simply run your finger back and forth over the mic hole on the bottom of the phone.  On mine, I can hear the rubbing sound very clearly and loudly through the earpiece.  This means that, for some reason, the phone is playing back what the mic records.  I can't fathom why it should do this.

Just trying to determine if this is 1- a common problem, 2- a software issue that could be resolved in a setting or update, or 3- a hardware problem which likely will never be fixed.  I can live with the issue if there's hope that it will/can be resolved, but if there's no hope of resolution, it'll be very hard to live with this phone for the next 2 years. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Reverb issue, can anyone replicate?
Ambreezy
Contributor - Level 3

Hello Chris3D. I have read your post and understand the issue you are currently experiencing with your device. Here are some steps you can take and try with your device.

Adjust the volume level of the device where applicable
  • Perform an OTA activation by dialing *228, select option 1
  • Attempt a test call by dialing #832 near a window or while outside

0 Likes
Chris3D2

I adjusted the volume up and down, no difference.

The phone was upgraded OTA as soon as I took it out of the box and turned it on.

Sorry, on America's supposedly superior network, I shouldn't need to stand by a window or outside to made a phone call when I live in an area indicated as being blanketed with solid voice/data coverage.

The issue seemed to be one of the phone's programmed sidetone (intentional replay through the earpiece of what the mic picks up) being too loud.  It is, apparently, set within the OS, but I don't suppose Verizon would allow that to be changed, much in the same way they won't allow the search engine to be changed.

After a fruitless call to tec support to resolve the many issues with this phone, it's now boxed up and ready to be shipped back for a refund.  Perhapse Verizon's time customizing this phone's OS would have been better spent making sure all the components (antenae, GPS, etc) were functioning adequately instead of specifically hard-coding the phone to exclude any search engine beside Bing.

0 Likes
ecpolo521

I'm having the same issue.  And from what I read, this is a known problem.  I've done the OTA update, test call, adjust volume, take off privacy setting and still nothing.  I also want to know if this is an issue that can be solved with an software update or its a hardware problem.  I purchased my phone from Amazon so returning and being without a phone is going to be a hassle.  What to do?

0 Likes
Chris3D2

I found it really distracting, hearing your own voice as you speak is something that has always bothered me on phones that do it.

And after a call to tec suppoort, in which every issue was responded to with basically - "that's the way it is, you can always return the phone", it became clear that Verizon's interests are *not* in ensuring that this phone works properly.

Buzzy reverb through earpiece:  Stand outside to make a call, if you don't like that, return the phone.

Abysmally low signal strength:  Stand outside to make a call, if you don't like that, return the phone.

Abysmally short battery life:  Buy a task killer from the android market to kill all our preinstalled garbage that runs in the background, but we won't let you turn any of it off or install it.  If you don't like that, return the phone.

GPS lock taking 10 to 15 minutes, if ever, even when outside:  Might be fixed in 2.2, but you can always return the phone.

Adding Google search widget:  Buy a 3rd party launcher to replace TouchWiz, 'cause we won't allow you to add Google to *OUR* homescreen.  This might be possible in 2.2, but if 2.2 comes out and doesn't, you can always return the phone if you're still within your 30 day return window, otherwise you'll be stuck with it.  Don't like that?  Return the phone.

Configuring the browser to use Google instead of Bing when the search button is pressed:  Sorry, this will never be possible, even after 2.2.  Don't like it?  Return the phone. 

So the message I got was:  We're not interested in your problems, just return the phone and go away, we made enough money through our deal with Microsoft that we no longer need to concern oursevles with customer satisfaction. 

So, the phone is going back and I'm looking into switching our faimly plan OFF Verizon. 

0 Likes
hitdog042

Chris your reply is extremely immature.

Bing can be turned off.  Do some research.  Google can be primary.  Do some research. 

Call quality is not an issue on all fascinates. There were some bad batches it seems.  My buddies has no issues, I had the same issue you had, but I never had a GPS issue.  In fact, it found signal faster than my X did. Again... some bad batches, which is WHY he's instructing you to re-activate it to make sure all files got unlocked the first time.   Geez.

You are also misunderstanding the tech's advice. He's not telling you to be outside for all of your calls.   He's instructing you to do the test outside where there's background noise to see if you still notice the reverb on the #832 test call.

Did you even bother trying the *228 and #832 like he said?

It's one thing to be mad, it's another to go off on a Tech because you mis understood what he was saying.  Take the phone back, go to ATT.   Trust me, you will be back.

0 Likes
hitdog042

{please keep your posts courteous}.   Exchange the phone for another Fascinate, or get a different phone.  You are spending way too much time being bitter.  Not all phones are equal in sig strength depending on where you live.  My guess is you pay too much attention to bars... just because it has less bars than your last phone doesn't mean you will drop calls.

Battery life?   Read reviews.  It has a great battery.  You got a bad one dude, it happens.

Seriously.. help yourself man.   Swap it out for another, get an X or Incredible, or whatever.  Complaining and whining on here isn't going to magically fix your phone.

Or, do as you threat.. leave VZW.  It's a free country.  

0 Likes
Chris3D2

How, exactly was my post immature?   Frustrated?  Sure.

I did do the re-activation at the request of the tec support person I spoke to on the phone.  That was their answer to everything, despite telling them that the phone was brand new, straight out of the box, turned on and OTA updated.  All I had done was configure my e-mail account and add in all my contacts.  The phone was essentially *already* in a freshly restored and activated state. 

Not supprisingly, none of the problems were resolved.  And I wasn't told that the hardware might be faulty and that I should exchange it for another phone, I was told to simply return the phone - meaning, if I can't live with the issues, take a hike.

As for all software config issues (Bing and bloatware related) the "solution" was to jump through hoops to get around their choice, not simply to allow me to make my own choice. 

But you're right, I have spent way too much time on this issue.  As I said, the phone is boxed up and ready to be returned and I will, indeed leave Verizon at my earliest convenience after this experience.

0 Likes
hitdog042

this may help you in the future, but before you bought the phone, it was well documented Bing was the default search.   You should have known that before purchase.

Yes, if in your 30 days, you are allowed to swap out.  If after 30 days, you can still swap out, although it may be for a refurbished one.  You are covered for one year.

I just picked up another one after I had similar issues, and I have none of the voice issues so far on this one. 

Plenty of iPhone4's got returned too.  No phone is exempt from having bad batches made.   As for VZW Customer Service, you get uneducated call center folks with all providers.   Switching isn't always the answer, because you are likely to have the same issue at some point with someone else.

My suggestion is, if you are facing ETF fees, send it back and ask for a replacement.  if within 30 days, you can pick any phone you want. 

Tell them you have tried everything, it's a bad phone.    Usually customer care on the phone with VZW is very good, I'm surprised you had these problems.

It's in stores where you usually get the bad service. 

0 Likes
shoe5150

I am having the same issues as you Chris. Called tech support today to report these exact same issues and was told the same thing, "return the phone". I was also told that there has been no reported issues with the navigation(which I know is bull). I am going to return this unit and replace it with another because I really do like the phone and am willing to give it another shot, but if unit 2 has the same issues I will exchange for the DX or Incredible.

0 Likes