Re: Returning the Fascinate after receiving replacement
indianafanatic
Enthusiast - Level 3

RSDan wrote:

Got the SIM card today!  So now I have the phone+SIM, but still no back, battery, charger and any other stuff that comes with the phone.   Guess they caught the slow buss.  3 days left to return one of the phones.

Dan,

I do believe that I'd march my happy little *ss down to my local VZW store and remind Verizon exactly what should come with every CPO phone they offer.  I know that what I've posted below is a bit excessive, but how could your phone have passed a 100 point inspection, when it should have failed immediately upon not being able to power up due to the battery missing??

How many phones do you think they'd sell at full price without the battery, battery door and sim card?

________________________________________________________________________________

From Verizon's website: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/preowned.jsp

"Certified pre-owned devices have been thoroughly inspected and reconditioned to like-new condition. If the device experiences a manufacturing defect within the first year you own it, we will replace it with a comparable unit.

Each device meets high quality standards by going through the following:

• A complete 100+ point checklist to ensure every area measures up to our standards of excellence
  • Visual cosmetic inspection
  • Advanced functional manual and electronic inspection
  • Upgraded to the latest software

Each device comes with:

- Battery & charger

- 1-year warranty

- 14-day return policy

- Certified pre-owned device

"To ensure Verizon Wireless customers are provided only the highest quality replacement devices our Certified Pre-Owned Device units go through the following repair and refurbishment process and must pass a 100+ point quality check in 10 key categories.  During this sequence of steps each handset that becomes a Certified Pre-Owned Device is power cycled up to nine times, receives at least two manual functional tests, electronically function-tested four times, and checked for/cleared of any possible customer information at least twice, as well as passes numerous other quality checks.

10 Key Quality Check Categories

1. Power

• Confirm device fully powers on correctly with battery
  • Confirm device fully powers on correctly with charger
  • Confirm device battery fits correctly in the battery compartment

(I'm going to skip 2-9, because you can't test any of those with a missing battery...)

10. Cosmetics and Assembly

• Confirm device is cosmetically renewed and meets stringent guidelines for all aspects of visual quality
  • Confirm device meets OEM factory specifications for construction, component assembly, and materials
    • Confirm slider/hinge moves freely and functions with no excessive force or pressure
    • Confirm liquid damage indicators are active and no external corrosion is present
    • Confirm device is inspected for any sign of external or internal customer abuse
    • Confirm device is inspected for any sign of external or internal liquid damage
    • Confirm touch screen (if applicable) is free of dust/debris
    • Confirm main display lens is free of scratches and blemishes
    • Confirm main display lens is free of cracks and chips
    • Confirm Caller ID lens is free of scratches and blemishes
    • Confirm main display lens is free of cracks and chips
    • Confirm Caller ID lens is free of scratches and blemishes
    • Confirm Caller ID lens is free of cracks and chips
    • Confirm logos and labels are completely attached and free of scratches
    • Confirm logos and labels do not contain any bends or folds
    • Confirm logos and labels are properly aligned
    • Confirm wires, harnesses, and cables are the correct type, insulation and length
    • Confirm wires, harnesses, and cables do not result in improper electrical operation
    • Confirm wires, harnesses, and cables do not interfere with mechanical operation
    • Confirm wires, harnesses, and cables are ducted or securely anchored
    • Confirm connectors are not skewed or angled but are tight
    • Confirm device construction seams are aligned properly to the original design
  • Confirm device flip operates in manner intended and no excessive force is required
  • Confirm device door, cover and latches are properly aligned so that no undue force or effort is required to operate
    • Confirm device parts are not warped
    • Confirm knobs, switches, and latches do not have any burrs, mold flash, or other excess material
    • Confirm slide switches are straight
    • Confirm momentary slide switches activate and return to the 'rest' position when released
    • Confirm toggle switches activate smoothly and with a positive action in the on or off position
    • Confirm rocker switches activate smoothly and with a positive action, without exerting undue force
    • Confirm slide switches activate within the designed range and without exerting undue force
    • Confirm front and rear covers do not contain cracks
    • Confirm front and rear cover construction seams are parallel
    • Confirm front and rear covers are free of scratches and blemishes
    • Confirm front and rear covers are free of dirt and residue
    • Confirm device battery fits correctly in the battery compartment
    • Confirm keypad is properly seated in the housing and does not stick
    • Confirm keypad does not have any flaws or visible defects
    • Confirm keypad numbers are complete and clearly visible
    • Confirm keypad is not wore or faded
    • Confirm keypad is clean and free of residue
    • Confirm antenna is straight when extended
    • Confirm antenna is not worn, scuffed, or scratched
    • Confirm antenna is tight and can not be loosened with fingers unless designed that way
    • Confirm side buttons are not damaged or cracked
    • Confirm side buttons are free of scratches and blemishes
    • Confirm chrome surfaces are shiny and free of nicks or scratches
    • Confirm that there is no interference with adjacent parts or damage to threads or plating.
  • Confirm all screws and fasteners are present and are tightened per specifications, with no movement between supporting hardware and attached parts
  • Confirm rubber and polymer materials are free from cuts, tears, burns, pinch marks
  • Confirm glazed or plastic surfaces are free from cracks, chips, blemishes, discoloration, and stains

Confirm device meets all authorized work instructions

0 Likes
RSDan
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's getting really silly - talked to a very nice and amused rep who stated the battery is supposed to be delivered tomorrow BUT from the description on the order she's not sure the back is part of the order. So she puts me on hold to see if her supervisor will let her overnight a back - sorry she can't do it yet, will have to call me tomorrow and see what arrived with latest package.  I guess duct tape is always an option :smileyvery-happy:  But seriously 3 to 4 overnight packages to send 1 phone is excessive and pretty much a waste of money.

0 Likes
no_service
Enthusiast - Level 3

indianafanatic, this is because, due to Verizon's rip-off-the-customer-as-much-as-possible mentality, the devices they are sending to replace the Fascinate are not CPO devices. They are replacing them with refurbished devices. These are handled differently. Refurbished devices can only come without the back door, battery, SIM, or SD card. They have to send the battery and door and anything else they owe you separately. When I got my Fascinate as a replacement for my multiple broken Droid X's, they sent me the battery and door first and I had to wait on the phone. Verizon employees are not smart enough to realize you can't use one without the other and do not coordinate their delivery. Of course, my Fascinate is not any more usable than any of my Droid X were and they would not let me replace the Fascinate, so I am switching carriers.

0 Likes