Restarts every 3 MINUTES after Gingerbread update!
purplepolly

Subject pretty much says it all.. I installed the update this afternoon (and did NOT install anything else since) and now my phone is restarting itself every 3 minutes! I don't even think that's enough time to get in and back up my apps and texts, so I would really rather not do a factory reset!

Even as I'm writing this, it's now restarting every 30-60 seconds, in safe mode... Please HELP!!!

0 Likes
Re: Restarts every 3 MINUTES after Gingerbread update!
purplepolly

Since no one else cared to help, I figured out my own solution.. Everything I read online said I probably had an app that didn't agree with the update and the easiest fix would be to factory reset it. Not what I wanted to hear, but whatever! So I backed up my apps using Astro File Manager and backed up my texts using Go SMS Pro (both free apps).. Took a few restarts to get that done!

To factory-reset, you hold the volume button and power button at the same time.. Then when the Samsung logo shows up, let go of the power button only.. You should then get a black screen with some colored text and one of your choices is "wipe data/factory reset". Use your volume button to go down to that option and then press your Home key. Press Home again to go through with the reset... THIS WILL WIPE EVERYTHING FROM YOUR PHONE! Which is why you should back everything up first. There are easy-to-follow visual instructions on how to reset your phone here.. http://community.vzw.com/t5/Samsung-Fascinate/Gingerbread-update-bricked-my-phone-also/td-p/742556

Once reset, you will have a lot of reconfiguring to do but if you install Astro File Manager again you can fairly easily re-install your apps. I just installed the apps I use most, to see if any of those screwed with Gingerbread. So far, so good! Guess I will slowly re-install the rest over the next few days and hope nothing goes haywire again!

0 Likes
Re: Restarts every 3 MINUTES after Gingerbread update!
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

You can also do the following to reset the phone:

Menu

Settings

Privacy

Hit 'Factory data reset'     

This WILL wipe all apps and data off your phone so backup contacts, calendar FIRST!.

The use phone for couple days to be sure its OK.

Then reinstall 'apps' a few at a time.

0 Likes