Responsibility for Galaxy Nexus Update Delay?
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had similar problems to those many of you have described, the most annoying being the absolutely absurd battery life.  I have spoken with numerous Verizon representatives, one of whom told me (weeks ago) that he could not tell me when the update would go out because it would occur at different times in different areas. OK, I guess that makes sense. Then after a couple more weeks, I was told that Verizon is actually not responsible for the delay, but that it is the "manufacturer" who is causing the hold up. The manufacturer? Would this be Samsung? That doesn't make much sense, as the mythical update is a software update, so one would think it would be Google. Either way, I have been a Verizon customer for years but am seriously considering another service. Just sick of the run-around and dishonesty. Don't sell a phone with an atrocious battery life, but assure customers that it's just a software problem and will be fixed soon, then not only do nothing about it but give evasive, conflicting, and possibly misleading statements to customers. Honesty would go a long way here. If Verizon simply announced they were having trouble getting the update up to quality standards, it would still be annoying, but at least one could have some trust in the company. As it is, after speaking with several Verizon reps and doing some research online, I have absolutely no clue why the update is delayed, when it will be released, and whether it will even fix the battery problem.

Re: Responsibility for Galaxy Nexus Update Delay?
Jbarros237
Enthusiast - Level 2

Amen!!

Tidbits
Legend

Devils8 wrote:

I have had similar problems to those many of you have described, the most annoying being the absolutely absurd battery life.  I have spoken with numerous Verizon representatives, one of whom told me (weeks ago) that he could not tell me when the update would go out because it would occur at different times in different areas. OK, I guess that makes sense. Then after a couple more weeks, I was told that Verizon is actually not responsible for the delay, but that it is the "manufacturer" who is causing the hold up. The manufacturer? Would this be Samsung? That doesn't make much sense, as the mythical update is a software update, so one would think it would be Google. Either way, I have been a Verizon customer for years but am seriously considering another service. Just sick of the run-around and dishonesty. Don't sell a phone with an atrocious battery life, but assure customers that it's just a software problem and will be fixed soon, then not only do nothing about it but give evasive, conflicting, and possibly misleading statements to customers. Honesty would go a long way here. If Verizon simply announced they were having trouble getting the update up to quality standards, it would still be annoying, but at least one could have some trust in the company. As it is, after speaking with several Verizon reps and doing some research online, I have absolutely no clue why the update is delayed, when it will be released, and whether it will even fix the battery problem.

I have expressed this would happen BEFORE the device came out in December.  Google is responsible for the software, but Samsung is responsible for the hardware, AND the drivers required for the Kernel.  Google also pushes out the update themselves and does NOT use the typical FOTA system Verizon uses.

You can blame Verizon all you want and move on.  Without knowing exactly what the Nexus Line entails it's an unfair judgement.  Probably one of the reasons Verizon didn't pick up the Nexus One or the Nexus S in the first place.

0 Likes
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, first of all, I blame Verizon because they are the who I am paying for the product. At the end of the day, they are responsible to their customers. Second, if I had any idea what the problem was, whether it was being addressed, when it will be addressed, etc., I would put so much "blame" on Verizon. If they have no control over when the update goes out, and no idea when it will happen, then one of the 5 or 6 Verizon representatives I have spoken with should have just been honest and told me. But I was always led to believe that the fix was right around the corner. It wouldn't be such a big deal, but for the fact that this is an expensive piece of technology I am paying for, yet I now own the first cell phone of my life that can't hold a charge past 4 PM. And that drops calls, sometimes 3 or 4 times within a 45 minute conversation. These aren't trivial problems. Some of them may be Google's responsibility, but I have no contract with Google and no real idea how to actually speak with someone from Google.  Meanwhile I'm paying Verizon hundreds of dollars, so it's not unreasonable to expect them to clear up such issues, or if they cannot at least give a full explanation. Had I been told, over two months ago when I got the phone and realized how terrible the battery life was, that they really had no clue when the "fix" would be released, and that it could very well be months, I would have returned the phone. Instead I was told (by Verizon, not Google), that it was a software problem that would be fixed soon with an update. That's a problem, and it's potentially misrepresentation. So I agree, Google doesn't look all that great now either, but since I have no contract with Google, and am paying Verizon a good deal of money, I think it's fair to hold them responsible for a product that is overall of high quality but that has serious flaws. You say that judging Verizon is unfair? Misinforming customers is unfair, and if it is done on as large a scale as it seems, judging by all of the message boards, customer complaints, etc., it could be a serious problem for Verizon. They aren't responsible for what Google does, but they are responsible for the legally enforceable promises they make to their customers.

Tidbits
Legend

so you blame BestBuy for a faulty TV that blips out in 6 months? You blame GameStop for selling an Xbox360 that has bugs? Verizon subsidizes the phone you chose and want to recoup what they subsidize. If you bought the device outright it would be no different. Do you blame a bank if something happens to your car or house?

shagg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well said Tidbits. Verizon provides the service. They make sure you can send and receive calls and can access the data network. Devils8, If you want to update the firmware prior to official release, you can dude. ___-Developers has plenty of leaked software. You'll void your warranty, but then you can stop yer whining and crying.

0 Likes
kabull
Contributor - Level 1

I am sorry, but this is a bit different than products carried at Best buy etc.  A universal product with no reliance upon a service provided by Best Buy thereafter.  You can buy the same TV at many retailers and whether they perform up to their standards has no bearing on the store.  This phone does have to work with Verizon to provide the service.  It behooves Verizon to make sure the products that they are selling work with their service correctly.  I think most consumers assume that is a given.  I would also assume that Verizon, Samsung and Google would all be on the same page and be working in alliance to satisfy their consumers.  That isn't the case here.   I realize that the cellphone market is competitive with each carrier trying to get an edge.  Yes, we took a chance buying a new product.  However, I believe we thought it had been well tested.  I am not put off by a few bugs along as they are dealt with swiftly and honestly. I think I have been patient.  However, when  phone doesn't work for the very purpose it was intended it is a bit aggravating.  And then to be told a different thing on a different day from each company is a bit ridiculous.  OH, and if Best Buy sold a TV that numerous consumers found faulty and "had bugs" they would stop carrying it.  

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I already pointed it out. You chose the device and chose to get it subsidized. In return that subsidization has to be paid back much like acar loan.

0 Likes
headonbackwards
Enthusiast - Level 1

So, if I were to purchase a car from, say, Toyota, and as part of the sale, Toyota provided a financing option for the vehicle as opposed to demanding full payment up-front. I should be appreciative of their generosity and not worry about a sticking accelerator pedal? I get the gist of what you're saying, but I don't think Verizon or any other company could ever be found guilty of rampant altruism. The phones are subsidized, but the two-year contract is the price we pay for the subsidy.

The company presented the phone in a way that suggested it would be a premier product. Having identified issues with the phone, they further set expectations by stating an update would be released within a month. After a three month wait, it'd be nice to get some additional information about the status of the update even if it doesn't reflect favorably on Google, Samsung, or Verizon.

Personally, I'll wait and hope they're taking their time to get it right and make me happy. Verizon, for their part, could suck it up and help set realistic expectations for everyone.

0 Likes
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

shagg, do you work for Verizon? When someone buys a product, and is told as part of that purchase that an update to fix a crucial flaw will be out very soon, and it's not, the customer should not have to void his warranty by downloading leaked software. So I buy a Mercedes, and the fuel pump is broken, but Mercedes has no replacement pumps and can't tell me when they will be available. According to your logic I should just take the car to some shady mechanic and void my warranty, and suck it up? That makes sense to you? And like someone else pointed out, when you advertise a phone as top of the line and the battery lasts 7 hours, that's a serious problem. I don't understand how anyone can not see that. And while mistakes happen, a company should at least keep its customers informed as to what is going on. Verizon, and Google as well, are seriously damaging their brand names with the way they rolled out the Nexus and Ice Cream Sandwich.

0 Likes