Re: Responsibility for Galaxy Nexus Update Delay?
walidmrealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

llichtwalt wrote:

Thanks for the share on this. I would 150% buy directly from Google given that the phone worked on my carrier. I'm REALLY hoping for the best on that one.

So am I. I can't think of much that would be different. This experience has been eye opening, and trust me, we left ATT because the service and customer service was absolutely terrible. Verizon exceeded our expectations until we got this device. I interact with a ton of folks. We are watching Sprint users very carefully right now.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

So a Google rep lied? Why did they not name the rep? Is he high enough to know? Did CNET take everything out of context? When I get home I will show something officially from Google own blogs with a name of the person who wrote it that SHOULD know written on it.

0 Likes
ssracing411
Enthusiast - Level 3

sorry tidbits, but you're barking up the wrong tree here. the hard evidence is there. i also know of people who have experienced the "blocked by your country or carrier" message as well, which speaks louder than any quote people may post on here. along with this, CNET is a very respected technology publication, and there are policies about journalistic integrity which would leave them legally and financially vulnerable if they had lied about that statement. in other words, verizon could and definitely would sue CNET into a cardboard box if their quote hadn't been accurate. the simple fact that CNET isn't coming to you from some guy's mom's basement is testament to the fact that those statements are true. and for the prospect of a google store, i fully support it. verizon is a telecommunications provider, we shouldn't be buying phones from them.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

ssracing411 wrote:

sorry tidbits, but you're barking up the wrong tree here. the hard evidence is there. i also know of people who have experienced the "blocked by your country or carrier" message as well, which speaks louder than any quote people may post on here. along with this, CNET is a very respected technology publication, and there are policies about journalistic integrity which would leave them legally and financially vulnerable if they had lied about that statement. in other words, verizon could and definitely would sue CNET into a cardboard box if their quote hadn't been accurate. the simple fact that CNET isn't coming to you from some guy's mom's basement is testament to the fact that those statements are true. and for the prospect of a google store, i fully support it. verizon is a telecommunications provider, we shouldn't be buying phones from them.

You never heard of a generic message?  An agreement hasn't been made so it is "not compatible with the carrier."

Just wait till I get home and find the blog post straight from Google.

0 Likes
fastearle86
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ummm, you have no idea what you are slingin do you? you know nothing of what is possible when it comes to business sales, this kind of thing happens all the time and anything could happen with enough money and anyway, maybe Verizon could buy Google...LMAO you're an idiot...Get a life and don't bother posting diplomacy as if you are trying to educate or help someone.. Qualcomm has nothing to do with why wallet wasnt included and really, how could they? You're saying its a CDMA issue? really? Here is the skinny on that....fool

The Nexus ships with the NFC chip necessary to use Wallet, but according to 9to5 Google, Verizon will block the software from being installed. Verizon is teaming up with AT&T and T-Mobile to build its own mobile payments system, ISIS, and don't want to help Wallet get a leg up before it ISIS launches next year.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

fastearle86 wrote:

Ummm, you have no idea what you are slingin do you? you know nothing of what is possible when it comes to business sales, this kind of thing happens all the time and anything could happen with enough money and anyway, maybe Verizon could buy Google...LMAO you're an idiot...Get a life and don't bother posting diplomacy as if you are trying to educate or help someone.. Qualcomm has nothing to do with why wallet wasnt included and really, how could they? You're saying its a CDMA issue? really? Here is the skinny on that....fool

The Nexus ships with the NFC chip necessary to use Wallet, but according to 9to5 Google, Verizon will block the software from being installed. Verizon is teaming up with AT&T and T-Mobile to build its own mobile payments system, ISIS, and don't want to help Wallet get a leg up before it ISIS launches next year.

Sorry I guess you are not as smart as I assumed you were as you failed to read or you love to take things out of context.

Where have I said anything about Qualcomm being the issue with Google Wallet?  Never...  Qualcomm issues lie within licensing for CDMA technology and IF you paid any attention it was already stated Google DOES NOT have the license to MODIFY nor DISTRIBUTE the code.  This was always a Qualcomm deal with open source platforms from Symbian to Android to Meego.

Also people keep tagging The Nexus line as PURE GOOGLE.  Which Google has NEVER stated it was.  They have only stated updates will come from them.  They didn't say how frequent you will get them or if they'll ever be timely.  PEOPLE ASSUMED so.  Also the G2X falls under the same umbrella that the Nexus line falls under.  a GOOGLE EXPERIENCE DEVICE.

Also IF it was intended to have Wallet from the start then why does the Nexus S (Not the 4G) had wallet pre-installed?  Why only the Sprint Version?  Why did the Galaxy Nexus(GSM) not have it pre-installed?  Ask yourselves that. 

Exactly where did I say Verizon could buy Google?  Please stop trolling and learn to read thanks Smiley Happy

Anyway back on topic...  Going to have to sift all the clutter of over zealous people who believe sites that believe in $$ for clicks that'll always trickle to the top of searches.  I have a feeling it's buried on page 50 or something..  I will find it as soon as I get home.  I hope to have it bookmarked or cached.

0 Likes
ssracing411
Enthusiast - Level 3

fastearle you take some things way too seriously buddy. I was merely pontificating about the wonderful possibility of google buying verizon. it was never meant to be a serious statement. and don't call people idiots on forums, it's tacky and childish. and yes i am trying to educate and help some people understand this problem better, as i've done a lot of research and footwork on it. i'm doing more than you are about this. however that is a great quote there about the google wallet thing. and to you, tidbits, your original post about the qualcomm thing was kind of vague, and are you even sure that google wallet was available upon the GNex launch? i don't, but you shouldn't draw conclusions from observations you haven't fully investigated. and while the verizon nexus is not 'pure google', the galaxy nexus is still a nexus because of its hardware and firmware. The only difference between our phones and the 'pure google' phones (besides the antenna type) is that we are stuck with a service provider that seeks to control the apps we can use, as well as withhold an important update that EVERY OTHER CARRIER HAS RELEASED. Also, Mr. TakingitOutofContext over here (you've used that term like 4 times in defense of Verizon) seems to have taken out of context Google's statement on the VZW GN. They describe it as not a 'pure google' experience. They aren't bashing our phones, they are bashing our carrier, because the only thing keeping us from the pure google experience is verizon. Despite all this, google has made statements that they will continue to support the phone and keep the updates rolling out. once again, it is well known FACT that this update has been available since march 29th. that was google's end of the deal. it is VERIZON holding back the update. just look at sprint. look at them with all their happy GNex users with fully functional phones prancing around making calls, sending messages, and using the internet, as they mock us for having a service provider with TERRIBLE customer service that is totally incapable of orchestrating an OTA software update for a major handset provider's FLAGSHIP PHONE. Now think how happy Sprint must be since there aren't people posting all over their own forums and facebook pages about how much they hate them and filing FCC complaints against them. Verizon just needs to push the update to everyone, and we can all be happy. honestly the only reason i brought up the wallet thing is to illustrate a point about how oppressive and greedy verizon is as a company. honestly i could care less about that particular app, because PNC has a perfectly good money management app.

ssracing411
Enthusiast - Level 3

by 'firmware' i meant software. my point is the software (Android 4.0) and the hardware make it a Nexus, not the carrier and its stupid restrictions.

0 Likes
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

from Wall Street Journal article about Google's new strategy:

"For Google, circumventing wireless carriers has many benefits, including preventing them from blocking certain apps. Currently, Verizon Wireless doesn't allow the Google Wallet app on Samsung's Galaxy Nexus.

A Verizon Wireless spokeswoman declined to comment.

Carriers also are sometimes slow to push through software updates to phones, and they preload apps of their own choosing on devices. By avoiding carriers, Google and its hardware partners can get devices to market faster, often by several months."

A Verizon rep declined to comment? Sounds like most interactions I've had with customer service. If google does this I'll gladly pay for it. I've never received worse customer service from a major corporation than I have from Verizon. Basically I'm stuck in a never-ending cycle of getting refurbished Nexuses, and for some reason exchanging for an equivalently-priced phone is just not an option. Why? Some kind of vague reference to agreements with Samsung (it's always some other company's fault). When I asked the rep if she had the authority to override this general policy, I was informed that was "propriety information." Huh?

And passing it off on Samsung...I refuse to believe that a corporation as powerful as Verizon signed an agreement with Samsung where they agreed that they had no right to information about upcoming updates. That is simply absurd.

And before Tidbits responds that I signed a 14 day return contract, I'd like to point at that there's tons of legal remedies for such contracts when the product repeatedly fails and customer reps make repeated promises of an elusive update that will fix all problems. Verizon just doesn't care about the legality of it because they don't think anyone is actually going to sue them. But beyond the legality, it's just awful customer service. I have a $300 phone that doesn't get a signal in my house, while my dad's 3 year old Verizon phone does, yet I cannot exchange it for a phone that works? And not only can I not do this, I can't even get a clear answer as to why?

0 Likes
walidmrealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Devils8 wrote:

from Wall Street Journal article about Google's new strategy:

"For Google, circumventing wireless carriers has many benefits, including preventing them from blocking certain apps. Currently, Verizon Wireless doesn't allow the Google Wallet app on Samsung's Galaxy Nexus.

A Verizon Wireless spokeswoman declined to comment.

Carriers also are sometimes slow to push through software updates to phones, and they preload apps of their own choosing on devices. By avoiding carriers, Google and its hardware partners can get devices to market faster, often by several months."

A Verizon rep declined to comment? Sounds like most interactions I've had with customer service. If google does this I'll gladly pay for it. I've never received worse customer service from a major corporation than I have from Verizon. Basically I'm stuck in a never-ending cycle of getting refurbished Nexuses, and for some reason exchanging for an equivalently-priced phone is just not an option. Why? Some kind of vague reference to agreements with Samsung (it's always some other company's fault). When I asked the rep if she had the authority to override this general policy, I was informed that was "propriety information." Huh?

And passing it off on Samsung...I refuse to believe that a corporation as powerful as Verizon signed an agreement with Samsung where they agreed that they had no right to information about upcoming updates. That is simply absurd.

And before Tidbits responds that I signed a 14 day return contract, I'd like to point at that there's tons of legal remedies for such contracts when the product repeatedly fails and customer reps make repeated promises of an elusive update that will fix all problems. Verizon just doesn't care about the legality of it because they don't think anyone is actually going to sue them. But beyond the legality, it's just awful customer service. I have a $300 phone that doesn't get a signal in my house, while my dad's 3 year old Verizon phone does, yet I cannot exchange it for a phone that works? And not only can I not do this, I can't even get a clear answer as to why?

This is the same situation many of us are suffering through. I found it incredulous that the customer service reps had NEVER heard of the issues I was having, but tens of thousands of references can be found online.

0 Likes