Re: Responsibility for Galaxy Nexus Update Delay?
Tidbits
Legend

Sorry I am more inclined to believe Google than I am of CNN.

0 Likes
MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

I think we can (almost) all certainly agree that Verizon has royally screwed this up and ruined our expected Nexus experience.  I enjoy reading everyone's comments but does anybody have any suggestions of what we can all do as a group to hopefully get them to push this update out sooner rather than later?

Personally, I filed a complaint with the FCC on the grounds that my phone doesn't work as expected due to signal loss, random reboots and the mic cutting out.  If I have an emergency, and one of these known problems happen, it could be devastating and Verizon won't replace it with a different model that's also a top tier device and they won't push the update that is supposed to fix these problems.  My complaint may do nothing but if we all do this, it's bound to get noticed.

I've also regularly voice my disappointment and frustration on their Verizon Wireless facebook page.  Again, just my comments will probably do nothing, but if we all do it on a regular basis, hopefully something will be done.

Anybody else have any other suggestions?  Let's gang up on them.

walidmrealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

CNN?

Who you trust is of little concern to me. I select sources of information based upon whether I perceive the information presented to be relevant, pertinent and factual. If a six year old conveyed it and it meets the criteria it passes.

0 Likes
JamesLF
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's all in the definition of "blocking".  The Play store won't let a verizon customer update or download Wallet, not because of hardware (it works fine), but because of "restrictions due to carrier or country".  So Verizon isn't "blocking its use", but they are "blocking its updates and ability to obtain without doing that thing we can't discuss here".  It isn't mastercard, as you can add a mastercard to wallet, and it isn't Google (why would they block their own product), that only leaves the carrier.

llichtwalt
Enthusiast - Level 3

I believe that proof has been provided showing Google was directly quoted that they were asked by Verizon Wireless to remove the Wallet feature from the Nexus. I could point to article's on ComputerWorld, CNET & about 5-6 other news sites or publications.

Now please present one article where Google says they weren't asked by Verizon. You keep saying it but have yet to provide the proof. I've ran multiple searches & have yet to find it. ANYWHERE.

walidmrealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm highly inclined to support this line of thinking. Anyone who's had constant contact with Verizon lately, can't have a high level of trust in the company's dealings when it comes to the Nexus.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

sure will provide it, but those sites you mentioned were based on ASSUMPTION before any word from Google or Verizon said anything.

0 Likes
llichtwalt
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Verizon asked us not to include this funtionality in the product." a Google representative told CNET.

That is what is called a direct quote.

NOT, "We here at CNET ASSUME the feature is not included per Verizon's request."

That's called an assumption.

The assumption is in the reasoning behind that request, ie. Isis, but not the request.

PS I can grab more quotes if necessary.

0 Likes
llichtwalt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the share on this. I would 150% buy directly from Google given that the phone worked on my carrier. I'm REALLY hoping for the best on that one.

0 Likes
walidmrealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

walid muhammad wrote:

Google Inc. is shifting its strategy for its Android mobile operating system, in a bid to create a united front with smartphone and tablet makers to take on rivals like Apple Inc. and prevent wireless carriers from controlling the devices.

Google plans to give multiple mobile-device makers early access to new releases of Android and to sell those devices directly to consumers, said people familiar with the matter. That is a shift from Google's previous practice, when it joined with only one hardware maker at a time to produce "lead devices," before releasing the software to other device makers.  Source - WSJ

Hmm...

Now that I think about it: What would be the purpose of a Verizon Store if Google enacts this? Wouldn't Best Buy serve a similar purpose? Verizon doesn't replace devices from the stores anyway - they're shipped. Perhaps we'll be activating devices from a VZW Atm style kiosk in the not too distant future.