Re: Responsibility for Galaxy Nexus Update Delay?
bwood2032

Samsung is only needed for hardware issues like drivers and stuff, but as

for the rom itself, it come straight from Google so Samsung doesn't need

involvement with the nexus line. The Verizon rep may just be misinformed

with this being their first nexus in their lineup. I doubt he was trying to

deceive you. Every other nexus phone has received updates straight from

Google because the only thing carriers do is provide the service. If

there's ever and issue with a rom, a fix is provided quickly because it

doesn't go through the carriers.

0 Likes
JamesLF
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sure by now everyone has seen the leaked Verizon update schedule for their devices.  I am also sure that everyone has noticed that the Galaxy Nexus is NOT on the update schedule.  If this leaked schedule is true... a bunch of people will be royally ticked off.

0 Likes
googly_eyes

One Question why does the "Google" software have Verizon apps preinstalled that aren't on the other carrier's phones?  I think people are overlooking the fact that Google writes the base software, Samsung provides the drivers and tweaks the OS for their hardware, and Verizon finalizes it (adds their 2 cents) and approves it.

This same insanity happens on all the Motorola, HTC, and other brand phones too.  There is no real transparency in the process so the finger of blame gets pointed every which way by people who don't really know.

I'm not claiming *I* know, I am just pointing out that all parties are "to blame" because they veil everything in secrecy and do not communicate with the customers.  We are, after all just the cows in the field to them, just there to be exploited...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

googly_eyes wrote:

One Question why does the "Google" software have Verizon apps preinstalled that aren't on the other carrier's phones?  I think people are overlooking the fact that Google writes the base software, Samsung provides the drivers and tweaks the OS for their hardware, and Verizon finalizes it (adds their 2 cents) and approves it.

Do you know what a GED is?  Look up LG G2X which is a GED as well as ANY Nexus Device which are GED's as well.  Google has NEVER defined exactly what a GED is and everyone speculates on what it is.  The G2X is filled with T-Mobile Bloatware, but is a GED.  The Galaxy Nexus has 2 which is substantially less than the G2X.  Sprint Nexus 4G has their bloatware as well.  The Nexus One had stuff which wasn't from their own stuff as well.

This same insanity happens on all the Motorola, HTC, and other brand phones too.  There is no real transparency in the process so the finger of blame gets pointed every which way by people who don't really know.

I just going to throw something up here.  Regardless of how Verizon does it they will NEVER make anyone happy regardless of transparency.  For example people were crying and stomping their feet at Verizon for not releasing the Galaxy Nexus.  Now there are posts all over the place for there being multiple bugs, and why an update hasn't come yet...  If it is true that the fact Verizon controls the "acceptance" of the device maybe these bugs are the cause of delay on the initial release.  They released it because they didn't want to "lose customers".

I'm not claiming *I* know, I am just pointing out that all parties are "to blame" because they veil everything in secrecy and do not communicate with the customers.  We are, after all just the cows in the field to them, just there to be exploited...

NDA's man...  Why don't you pay the penalties that Verizon may have to pay out for every NDA they violate.  Then possibly they'll release more information.  Breaking an NDA at their level isn't cheap.  For my line of work if I ever violate certain NDA's I could go to jail for life, and some I will pay to pay out $300,000+.  For Verizon's case it's probably in the multi-millions.

0 Likes
jayesdee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would really hope that verizon would take interest and actually READ all these posts. They could then realize how unsatisfied customers are. I am a samsung and verizon fan.....i always advocate for the durability and quality of samsung products. But i gotta say right now i am in a love hate relationship with both VERIZON mostly and then samsung. In my opinion verizon has the best service.....but boy do we PAAAAYYYYYY for that luxury. We pay a high cost financially and mentally with them. The phones they are coming out with are so wacked that we are losing out on time, money, effort, customers, etc. I don't have a business account but i do use my phone for business...and its not very professional when you sound like your under water or a robot when your speaking to a business contact and away from your desk. What the heck, Verizon? On top of that. their CUSTOMER SERVICE has gone down the toilet...and im not talking freebies.....or anything like that. I dont want anything free. I pay my bill, and on time for 3 + years. In the last few months i have been on that horn with verizon more than in the last 3 years. They give you dead ends, make a lot of mistakes, and it takes a lot of time to finally get a representative who is friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and efficient. They need a serious make-over in that department. They used to be the best!!!! Now, we just have to settle. Not a happy camper.

0 Likes
ldiamond
Enthusiast - Level 2

Add another unhappy camper to the nexus list...I knew what I was getting when I bought this phone but my issues with being able to make phone calls from my "phone" started two months into my ownership...bottom line while Verizon didn't make the handset they sold me the phone...I have purchased services through a contract with Verizon that my handset can't deliver on.  I am on my second handset (refurb none the less after paying for a new one out of the box)...and I still can't make a call that lasts longer than 5 minutes before the person on the other end can't hear me.  Telling me that I need to wait for a software update to fix my issue when they do not even have a specific date to fix my issue is rediculious.  I cannot conduct business reliably on this phone and Verizion will do nothing to fix my issue other than credit me some of my monthly fee, reissue a refurbished phone or activate my old phone until the update is released.  Their excuse...well the update could come out tomorrow or next week...my reply was or next month or the month after that...in the mean time they are more than happy to take my money without fulfilling their end of the bargin.

0 Likes
MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

I've not had much luck getting anyone at Verizon (either via phone or in one of their stores) to acknowledge the fact that my problems are known issues, even though their own forums are full of complaints.  Verizon is silent on when the update will be released that is supposed to fix this phone, they won't replace my phone with one a different model that works and will only replace with a refurb nexus, and they will void my warranty if I root and flash with the leaked ROM, but they're holding me to MY end of the contact.  I'm actually looking into filing a complaint with the FCC and invite others to join me.  If enough of us file a complaint in regards to how Verizon is handling this catastrophe, maybe something will be done soon.

File a complaint with the FCC everybody!  They should not get away with this type of customer un-service!

0 Likes
notarep
Contributor - Level 3

Lol at bringing up the contract when the contract basically states that you're paying for the capaibility to use the servicse and it is your responsibility to maintain a working device that can use the services.

0 Likes
MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, notarep, however regardless of what it says or you think it says, the contract is also used to subsidize the cost of the phone.  As I'm sure you know, if you don't sign a contract, you pay full retail for the phone and if you sign a contract, you get the discounted price.

Since I signed a 2 year contract and paid the discounted rate - to Verizon, not Samsung, and since there are problems with my phone within the 1 year warranty period, they should either replace it with a NEW phone, not a refurb, or revisit the length of my contract since the value of a refurb is less than the value of a new phone.  They will do neither.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

MikeInATL wrote:

Thanks, notarep, however regardless of what it says or you think it says, the contract is also used to subsidize the cost of the phone.  As I'm sure you know, if you don't sign a contract, you pay full retail for the phone and if you sign a contract, you get the discounted price.

Since I signed a 2 year contract and paid the discounted rate - to Verizon, not Samsung, and since there are problems with my phone within the 1 year warranty period, they should either replace it with a NEW phone, not a refurb, or revisit the length of my contract since the value of a refurb is less than the value of a new phone.  They will do neither.

Actually, the 1 year warranty period is a "manufacturers" warranty, not a "Verizon" warranty. Verizon facillitates the warranty for you as a courtesy, but it is the manufacturer who is on the hook for the warranty. If you are not happy with how Verizon facillitates the warranty, you do have the option of sending the phone back to the manufacturer. If you do this, though, you will be without a phone while the manufacturer sorts out the problem and you will most likely just get a refurbished phone back also.

0 Likes