Re: Responsibility for Galaxy Nexus Update Delay?
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tidbits, that's great, I wish my phone was the same. I'm not claiming all Nexuses have terrible battery life, there's no way for me to know that. My only point is I don't have the time to keep trying and exchanging new phones until I stumble upon that works like yours. I really do like this phone, it's just the problems, primarily the battery life, that are a big problem for me. But I seriously do not have time to keep exchanging, switching out SD cards, reinstalling apps, etc., until I get one that works, and I don't think I should have to go through all that giving the money I'm paying. I think that's a pretty reasonable viewpoint.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Devils8 wrote:

Tidbits, that's great, I wish my phone was the same. I'm not claiming all Nexuses have terrible battery life, there's no way for me to know that. My only point is I don't have the time to keep trying and exchanging new phones until I stumble upon that works like yours. I really do like this phone, it's just the problems, primarily the battery life, that are a big problem for me. But I seriously do not have time to keep exchanging, switching out SD cards, reinstalling apps, etc., until I get one that works, and I don't think I should have to go through all that giving the money I'm paying. I think that's a pretty reasonable viewpoint.

The pictures above was more for one person who thinks 4.0.4 would magically fix every problem and it should be released.  It isn't ready for prime time as more people are having even worse battery life, and people with good battery life end up with terrible battery life.

If it was honestly ready it would be out right, and I expect people on Sprint forums will complain about similar bugs(which are on Google bug report pages) very shortly because if they didn't fix the problems, and are considered "low priority" on Google bug pages.

0 Likes
tundragator

Tidbits, you keep showing the same screenshots of before/after to support your idea that 4.04 isn't ready for the masses. Problem with that argument though is that plenty of people are having issues with 4.02 and could most likely show screenshots of other problems. Does that mean 4.02 never should have been rolled out?

Second, my issue isn't with Verizon is mainly about the continual lack of communication. This is a phone that was targeted towards a more advanced Android user and Verizon has shared ZERO information for months on what they are doing to try and fix this phone's many problems. Instead of keeping their users happy with a tweet about the update that would cost the firm a few cents Verizon is basically ignoring users. That's what rankles, that Verizon doesn't care enough about keeping me happy that they can't even be bothered to issue a few sentences on the delay of a feature that a competitor is shipping (a feature btw that was supposed to be delayed because our phones are CDMA...that excuse just went out the window huh?).

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There's a huge difference between 4.0.2 ans 4.0.4. One was released the same day you got the phone and the other was never released to us. One didn't have any chance for real world testing and one had the chance.

As I said before. Verizon can't communicate anything... The Nexus line is NOT your run of the mill android device. Before the release of this phone Google openly said our version will get updates straight from them just like any of their other Galaxy line.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

So how is Verizon to communicate anything when they don't have control like any of their other devices? It's Google's failure to communicate...

0 Likes
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree completely. Verizon has treated its customers like it could care less whether they're satisfied. All it would have taken was some honest communication from the beginning. I don't want this phone anymore, I'm sick of waiting for updates, the refurb I got is barely any better on battery life, and I have no reason to believe an update will improve it. How can they justify not letting customers exchange for an equivalent phone, like the Razr Maxx? Because we signed a 14 day return contract? We signed that based on their continual promise that an update was coming that would fix the problems. Apparently, it's our fault for taking them at their word. That's about the worst way you can treat a customer. Do they not think that there are other options, and that people might leave? I'd rather go with a service that had a less extensive network but that actually treated its customers decently.

And by the way, now CDMA isn't the problem? Tidbits, you were arguing fervently a couple weeks ago that that was the whole issue. What is the issue? Does anyone know? Who puts out the updates? Does anyone know that? Why are these things kept secret from the customer?

0 Likes
tundragator

Not true, I didn't buy my phone from Google. I bought my phone from Verizon. Aside from that fact, Verizon has final say on when those updates from Google are pushed out. I'm pretty sure Google and Verizon are in communication on when that update is going to roll out, especially considering that if an update rolls out and breaks someone's phone that person isn't driving to Google HQ to return that phone, they're driving to their local Verizon store.

0 Likes
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tidbits, so now it's all Google? Because a Verizon tech guy told me Samsung controlled the updates. Was he lying? If so, why? Why deceive customers? And do you honestly think Verizon's hundreds of lawyers let them sign a contract with Google where they were guaranteed no information or control about the release of an update that could be critical to their phone and that involves the use of their network to actually release it?

0 Likes
bwood2032

They changed that shortly after release though. That's why it was removed

from AOSP (I think that's what its called). It can't be truly open source

because of an issue with the cdma network. Just because of the network,

Verizon has to touch it before it goes out.

0 Likes
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

How is Verizon to communicate anything? By telling the truth! If, as you say, they have no idea when an update is coming, then their representatives should not be lying to customers, giving out rough dates for release, assuring that it will be soon (and therefore not to worry about the return period), and implying that they do control the updates. If they have no control, then they should have just been honest from the beginning. Not only would this have been better customer service, it would have been legal, unlike lying to customers. And you can't absolve the corporation for this, they have vicarious liability for what their employees do and say.

0 Likes