Re: Responsibility for Galaxy Nexus Update Delay?
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

Tidbits, I had a Level 2 tech at Verizon tell me in Febraury that an update was 'scheduled' for sometime toward the end of March, then in March, another level 2 tech at Verizon said that the update would be happening in April, 'according to information they had access to'. Neither has materialized. I agree that Verizon doesn't talk about an update until its on the verge of being released, so were the tech's trying to placate me or did they have info that didn't pan out....interesting.

0 Likes
ShellyGal
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sprint Galaxy Nexus Running Android 4.0.4 While Verizon’s Still Stuck On 4.0.2

http://drippler.com/samsung/galaxy_nexus#!283646

0 Likes
bwood2032

Sprint's is specified to their network though. You can't just port that to

Verizon's network. 4.0.4 is done, but whatever code is needed for Verizons

cdma network isn't..or at least that's what I think

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I said this before... A tech will NEVER know when an update is release. This is especially so for the Nexus Line as the update always comes off Google Servers and not Verizon's update servers.

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

Tidbits....I'm only telling what 2 different techs said....I'm not trying to argue with you. I was as surprised as heck when it happened. I know they don't have access to that info. My comment was to note that they may have speculated to me. Maybe it was just bs.

0 Likes
decker_chris32
Enthusiast - Level 1

Maybe, maybe not. Keep in mind Google had to drop AOSP support due to being unable to obtain a license to binary files essential to CDMA. Which means Verizon very well could be the reason we haven't seen an update. (Despite what they both say, Google Wallet is definitely a point of contention).

Either way, constant updates are one of the main reasons I got this phone. So the lack thereof has me perplexed and upset with all parties involved. Especially since nobody is giving a straight answer.

0 Likes
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

"This is especially so for the Nexus Line as the update always comes off Google Servers and not Verizon's update servers." Tidbits

Wait, so now it's Google servers? A tech person told me the other day that all updates come from Samsung, and that Verizon has no idea when they are ready or will be pushed out. (Which doesn't make sense to me, since Samsung doesn't have a wireless network and would have to, presumably, push it out over Verizon's network). When I told the guy about the lack of updates, he told me to contact Samsung and ask them why "my phone" didn't get updated, which is insulting on numerous levels. First, it's common knowledge that Verizon Galaxy Nexuses didn't get the 4.0.4 or the "upcoming" 4.0.5 update, so he's either completely ignorant about all of this, or he's assuming I'm a moron and just trying to pass me off on Samsung. Then, when I told him that no Verizon Galaxy phones got the update, he did some "research" and said since Verizon has no idea, the best way to find out when the update is coming is to call Samsung. So he expects me to believe that Samsung is going to impart information to me about an update that they don't reveal to the Verizon corporation. So I'm getting a refurbished replacement phone, which if it doesn't work, apparently, my only option is to keep getting replacement Nexuses, since my 14 day window expired. So their idea of satisfying the customer is to make him or her keep trying the same model over and over, instead of just giving them the option of switching to a comparable phone that has a proven track record. What is the justification for that? By far the worse customer service I've ever received from a major corporation.

0 Likes
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

As a side note, if techs or customer service people "never" know when an update is coming, the company management has a duty to ensure that they inform customers of this. If employees are telling customers other things (which they are), then the Verizon corporation could be liable for fraud. If I was told this at the beginning, instead of being told that an update was coming soon, I would have returned my phone and gotten something else before my 14 day "window" expired. Instead I waited 3 months for an update, now it seems I'm stuck with the Nexus. (Which, by the way the battery just died at 2:30 PM eastern time. 6 hours battery life, 85% while it was  in my pocket).

0 Likes
GaryWHolland
Enthusiast - Level 2

Devils8 that sounds about right on your battery life. I tested my GNex the other night and other than sending a couple of texts and wishing a friend happy birthday on FaceBook it sat idle. The battery died with about 6h 27m of use. I am presently on my second handset and am waiting on my third to deliverd in the am. The second phone I've had since Monday morning. It suffers from no in call audio. I can't hear audio on video clips either and if I try and use the speach to text feature it is unable to hear me.It will however work in call on speakerphone and bluetooth, go figure. Since I've only had it since Monday I have been unable to see if any of the other issues my original GNex had, ie. random reboots, inability to lock on data, poor voice signal and occasional audio dropouts. The first Tier 2 tech told me if the second handset didn't work out for me that I'd be able to select a comparable different phone. Todays Tier 2 tech, she wouldn't commit to that and said she would just have to send me another " Guaranteed Certified Replacement", I use that term loosely. She did however send the original tech an email regarding his committment to replace my equipment for me. As of yet I've not heard back from him.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Nexus Battery.png

That's what I get on average with an extended battery.  The blue bar shows connectivity to Verizon's network which is always connected and I don't turn 4G off even if I am on wifi.

Another shot earlier in the day.

Nexus Battery2.png

Now here is the bug I was talking about.  See above the awake bar...  4.0.4 update bug is just below.

12 - 1.png

No see the only time it did sleep... When I turned the device off...

0 Likes