Highlighted

Options for replacing a phone outside of warranty

I have a phone that is out of warranty and isn't charging. I'd really like a working phone, but it looks like my current options are

1. Buy a new phone at full price. It looks like the Galaxy Nexus has been discontinued? If it's not, I think they run about $600.

2. Get a replacement thru vzw for $300

3. Cancel my contract entirely and eat the $300 or so fee (which might be cheaper than the replacement all in all?). Verizon wouldn't be excited for that, I think, but they would still get the fees either way.

...am I missing a cheaper/better option? I'm two months away from an upgrade. I guess I could try to do some home repair since the warranty is already over with and I've got nothing to lose. If i were to buy one on ebay or something, I'd be taking my chances with a phone that doesn't work and dunno how that works with transferring my sim and everything over.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Options for replacing a phone outside of warranty

Expert

You could try Swappa.com to purchase a used device from.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

If you are only 2 months away from an upgrade, your ETF on a smartphone would be $350 - $180 = $170, not $300 as you had expected. For a basic phone, it would only be $85.

As Ann suggested, though, Swappa.com is a good place to look for reliable, inexpensive replacements.

Highlighted

This seems like it wouldn't work in Verizon's favor at all, but it's an option they've presented, I guess! I could pay off the ETF and jump ship to another carrier and it would be cheaper than me staying on Verizon with a comparable replacement.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not applicable

You phone has a manufacturer's warranty good for 1 year.  After that, you're on your own unless you purchased insurance from Asurion or somewhere else.  Verizon upgrades are available after you complete the terms of the contract you signed.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sounds like you got the plan which is cheaper now all you got to do is make it happen.  Do hope that cheaper is better for you.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Having a working device is our #1 goal today vuuv! I know its frustrating to have a device that is haivng issues but we always have options because we don't want to lose you. Yes, purchasing a phone for full retail is an option that some customers utilize but I certainly don't have 400-600 for a new phone so I can understand your position. If you have insurance  on your line, you can file a claim with ASurion for a replacement and pay less than $150.00 for your device. File claims here online www.phoneclaim.com/verizon or by calling 888-881-2622 . If you are not eligible to upgrade or don't have insurance, take a look at this option for purchasing a certified pre-owned phone for a low price http://vz.to/16vfYHl .

Kinquana_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

Highlighted

Would you mind assisting me with my Galaxy Nexus (Nexi) issues?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, I didn't get insurance, and after looking inside the phone, it looks like the little water detector thing has gone off, and I'm sure the warranty has long been voided. I don't see the option to get a Galaxy Nexus in the certified pre-owned phones... swappa.com looks like a good option at this point, though.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not applicable

Do you still have unlimited data?  If so, you can keep it by paying full retail price for a new phone.  If you want to do that, you might as well go ahead now.,

0 Likes