Need help Android 2.1 vs. 2.2 Loss
Jimbo33

I am looking at the Samsung Fascinate and there are two things that are causing me to hesitate.

1) What do I lose by having a phone running Android 2.1 vs. others that run 2.2? I have read technical explanations online but I don't understand. From a practical stand point, are there apps that I would want that I can't run? Are there web sites that won't load? I am looking for that kind of info.

2) I have been told that the Fascinate comes pre-loaded with Bing maps. Some people told me it is no big deal, Google maps is just an app. Other have told me it is a big deal and Google maps will not be fully functional. Does anybody have personal experience with this?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Need help Android 2.1 vs. 2.2 Loss
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Jimbo33 wrote:

I am looking at the Samsung Fascinate and there are two things that are causing me to hesitate.

1) What do I lose by having a phone running Android 2.1 vs. others that run 2.2? I have read technical explanations online but I don't understand. From a practical stand point, are there apps that I would want that I can't run? Are there web sites that won't load? I am looking for that kind of info. i have experienced no problems with 2.1.  also the source for 2.2 was released by samsung, so we should be getting 2.2 anytime time. you could always wait a week or so to see if it comes

2) I have been told that the Fascinate comes pre-loaded with Bing maps. Some people told me it is no big deal, Google maps is just an app. Other have told me it is a big deal and Google maps will not be fully functional. Does anybody have personal experience with this? goole maps can be downloaded and works fine, google nav works fine

Thank you.

0 Likes
techlife2

Jimbo33 wrote:

1) What do I lose by having a phone running Android 2.1 vs. others that run 2.2? I have read technical explanations online but I don't understand. From a practical stand point, are there apps that I would want that I can't run? Are there web sites that won't load? I am looking for that kind of info. i have experienced no problems with 2.1.  also the source for 2.2 was released by samsung, so we should be getting 2.2 anytime time. you could always wait a week or so to see if it comes

2) I have been told that the Fascinate comes pre-loaded with Bing maps. Some people told me it is no big deal, Google maps is just an app. Other have told me it is a big deal and Google maps will not be fully functional. Does anybody have personal experience with this? goole maps can be downloaded and works fine, google nav works fine

Thank you.

the google nav does work great but you can't hear it!  I understand this problem will be fixed with the Froyo update!

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

techlife2 wrote:

Jimbo33 wrote:

Thank you.

the google nav does work great but you can't hear it!  I understand this problem will be fixed with the Froyo update!

sure ya can, but you have to r it, then enter some strings to get to a hidden menu and change the colume settings.

direction on androidfuroms and xda

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Jimbo33 wrote:

1) What do I lose by having a phone running Android 2.1 vs. others that run 2.2? I have read technical explanations online but I don't understand. From a practical stand point, are there apps that I would want that I can't run? Are there web sites that won't load? I am looking for that kind of info.

2) I have been told that the Fascinate comes pre-loaded with Bing maps. Some people told me it is no big deal, Google maps is just an app. Other have told me it is a big deal and Google maps will not be fully functional. Does anybody have personal experience with this?

Thank you.

Couple of things you won't get with 2.1 are Flash 10.2 which some websites won't work correctly without and some newer apps in the Market require 2.2 and higher to work. 

As far as performance goes Stock 2.2 is a little better but each device performs differently.

If you don't want to update the "not suggested" ways just be patient looks like an over the air update is finally within sight.  Just be patient.

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

Jimbo33 wrote:

Thank you.

With 2.1, you are not able to d/l Adobe Flash Player which is used in many sites; you are not able to move most of your apps to your SD card (feature available in 2.2 or better) several apps require 2.2
0 Likes