NOT COOL Verizon, wheres Jelly Bean on the nexus
K-Blaze

Really I am just making this post to say that the reason I bought the Galaxy Nexus was to get the latest and cleanest android OS.  Whats the hold up? And why is there a release date for the Galaxy S3 but no Nexus???  How do you use a selling point for the Nexus 6 months ago then just forget about it cause its cheaper now???  Your letting me down Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: NOT COOL Verizon, wheres Jelly Bean on the nexus
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Would you mind explaining the finer points of the differences between the GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus and the Verizon version?

There are already other discussions about this topic. Was it necessary to start another? {sigh}

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

CDMA the way it is coded it requires multiple signatures for the radio to work.  If there is any changes where any one of the APK's needed to be changed they all require a new signature.  One from Samsung, Qualcomm, and Verizon. Google is an indirect in this as they do not manufacturer the device, but write the software for the device.  If this is not done then the radio will not work.  So if there is a bug that Qualcomm finds they send it back to Samsung, and resubmit it back to Qualcomm and it keeps going like this until everything works.  Now Verizon gets the update and there are problems with connectivity.  They send it back to Samsung and then the whole above process starts over again.  If the RIL(Radio Interface layer) changes it restarts the whole process too.  It's very complicated, and with the change to LTE and when Verizon moves over the VoLTE then the process becomes null as LTE follows more along the lines of the GSM protocol(see below).

GSM there is only one signature and that's the library, and can't be modified at all by anyone other than the rights holder.  All other files connected to it can be modified and only one signature needs to match.  You use the same key throughout.

As for the S3 getting JB and they have a date...  That's a load...  They are all rumors and speculation and for as long as Samsung has been making Android devices they have NEVER given an update date.  They got burned for the Behold 2 just by mentioning an update that couldn't have happened.

0 Likes
Keith_A

<Deleted per the .> This is a sore point with me as well.  I was sold on the Galaxy Nexus being a phone that would get the latest updates and OS from Google.  Instead I see other carriers getting the latest updates quicker than I do.

For the extra $$$ I spend each month on Verizon (About $30 more) this <Deleted per the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
megthered1

Verizon just wants to sell more Slll's. The Nexus is yesterday's news to them. I love my Nexus and love ICS and I don't expect Verizon to update it at all. Verizon is all business and if they can get more money for the Slll they will ignore the Nexus as long as possible. As I said, I love my Nexus, I use it for so much more than a phone. They can keep JB, I am not believing them anymore.

0 Likes