Lied to by a Verizon Rep
Decibles3285

I am currently experiencing the constant complete service drop on my Galaxy Nexus with build IMM76K. It will hold service for 4-5 minutes and then lose it for 2-3. This happens ONLY when in CDMA\LTE mode, but not in CDMA. I have explained this to multiple Techs from the Verizon tech support line, but have received little in the way of assistance. I have had a trouble ticket opened that went on for 10 days until finally getting a phone call where a support tech told me I just lived in a poor service area, that there was little help that could be offered to me. That the drop was to be expected in a low service area.

I informed the tech that I can see a Verizon Wireless tower from my back porch. That I could send him a picture of the tags on the equipment at the base of the tower that say "Property of Verizon Wireless". Or that my house sits smack dab in the middle of a "Verizon Wireless 4G Zone" on their very own map. Or that when I am at work, there is a Verizon Wireless corporate location that has a tower no more than 150 yards away from where I spend 8-10 hours a day. The problem isn't the network, the problem is the individual handset that will not hold a signal for more than 4-5 minutes

He asks me to hold and returns to inform me that he will sell me a signal booster (which only works for CDMA (the one part of the radio that works consistently)) at a discounted rate or that he will happily assist me in processing a disconnect of service due to being in a "Poor Coverage Area." I try to inform him that I am not interested in purchasing a signal booster, as my previous several phones (HTC Droid Incredible, Motorola Droid X, HTC Rezound) all held fantastic signal and that there was no problem with the available signal in my home or around my place of business

He repeatedly affirms that I have poor available signal around my home and business (roughly 45 minutes away from eachother- both in suburban Metro Detroit). When I tell him that it's not just in those locations, that it is all over the state- he then says that it must be user error and that the hardware and network are not to blame then- as I have owned multiple handsets that all seem to suffer from one issue or another (I went through 4 Rezounds in the course of 5 months, all of which suffered from various hardware related issues (all of which are well documented on this site and others)) and that I must be the problem.

At this point- thankfully the LTE\CDMA signal drop actually solved a problem. I was disconnected from the individual of whom I was speaking with. At this point, I am furious and just about ready to terminate my service. After taking a breather, I get into my car and take a trip to the previously mentioned Verizon corporate location. I find the sales person that I have had previous superb service from and start discussing my issue. She looks at my phone, and right away (While there is a LTE tower less than 100 feet away from where we are standing) the phone loses data, then complete signal drop. She nods, purses her lips, and heads over to her computer.

After a little more than 5 minutes at the terminal, she informs me that I should in fact have pretty decent signal in my home and my business because I am within a close distance to multiple towers. She also informs me that this is not the first time that she has seen this issue and that I am well within my rights to be rather ticked off at the person I was speaking with, as there have been tech alerts sent out stating that this was a software update on the way. She even showed me one of the messages on their technical support boards about this.

How is it that this tech support agent can get away with spreading the falsehoods and be attempting to persuade me to purchase a signal extender that will do nothing to solve this issue? How hard would it have been to say "Sorry, it's a software issue- we're working on it!". And most importantly, how is it acceptable that he blame this issue on me, when it is obviously a software issue that is out of my control?

0 Likes
Re: Lied to by a Verizon Rep
kabull
Contributor - Level 1

I too share your experience.  However, they ruled out that I lived in a poor signal area.  I have been lied to so many times since December, it would make your head spin.  The biggest lie I've been told is that 4.0.4 should fix my issues.  Truthfully, they made my phone worse.  Now people are holding out for Jellybean.  Not me.  I don't believe that this is a software issue.  It's the phone.  I have had six CLNRs all of them with the same poor signal issues and five of them have had other major flaws.  Check out the S3 board.  Many with the new phone with the same issues as the GNEX.  Samsung apparently is rather infamous for weak antennas.  So got to be the hardware.  I've quit calling.....I am tired of hearing it.  I am stuck with this phone for another year.  I give up.  Now I am having terrible wifi issues.  Can't even download an ap before the signal drops.  It is a shame but I chose this phone and I believe Verizon would fix the issue.  They haven't and they won't.  I have been offered a CLNR Droid Bionic as a replacement.  I give up.

CHRIS42060
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same problem, and went through multiple Galaxy Nexus phones.  I ended up cracking my screen so I could no longer get replacements. The quick fix I found was to disable the LTE Radio.  Go to Settings > Under "Wireless & Networks" select "More" > Select "Mobile Networks" > tap "Network Mode" > Change the selection from "LTE/CDMA" to "CDMA."  You will only get 3G data speeds but when I did this I had no problems with data or call drops.

zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

I had some minor bug problems before the .4 update and the cm rep was nice and offered to exchange my phone to another gnex or razr phone instead of trying a fix for all the minor bugs. But the .4 update took care of everything except the cannot connect to camera prob i have all the time. And now I can't upload hd videos from my phone to my google drive,.

I heard from others the new radios in JB help a lot. Sick of the waiting game with verizon, it shouldn't take more than a month for an update.

0 Likes
sfd0124

This needs to be made clear to everyone who has this problem. Your phone is defective. Do not put up with this problem, call and demand a replacement. My 4th GNex works perfect. No software/firmware update or new SIM will fix defective hardware. There is no need to put up with the problems of a defective product. Do yourselves a favor and keep demanding replacements until you get a working phone.

0 Likes