Re: Jelly Bean
shirke
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah but how long will Verizon hold up this update?after google release to other cell phone carriers

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

shirke wrote:

Yeah but how long will Verizon hold up this update?after google release to other cell phone carriers

However long it takes Qualcomm to update their drivers, and then test after Google submits their end of the code.  The way Qualcomm has their CDMA code and licensing it has to go through Qualcomm before going anywhere else and they need to sign and test their radios.

Reason why GSM moves quicker.  Only the libraries are proprietary.  If those don't change then everything else doesn't have to changed or be re-signed.  Everything else on the GSM front can be redistributed including the libraries.  The only way CDMA can move faster is for Qualcomm to rewrite the code and to change their licensing agreements with CDMA carriers(or developers) to allow distribution of modified code(which Google tried to get, but failed to).

Edit: Nokia had the same problem with CDMA which royally peeved me.  Please don't mention Apple...  It takes them months just to make an incremental update which is more than enough time for Qualcomm to test and fix as they are probably free members of the developers program. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
shirke
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tidbits Thank you for your quick reply.

0 Likes
thomasrhoward
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm running it now and, while I gotta say I've not been happy with this phone in the past, I love it now. Google Now is cool, voice search is better than Siri (though it doesn't have Siri's sense of humor) and the camera works better.

When the official release comes out, I will likely install that, but until then I finally have a phone I can enjoy using.

0 Likes
Thaxted
Enthusiast - Level 1

December would be about right, Verizon is not very consumer friendly. They muck up the work and slow things down and now they want to destroy unlimited data? I used to expect good things from Verizon, now they disappoint me tremendously. I have a friend who just got a free replacement for a perfectly good phone just because she whined she didn't have the ICS update coming. But I couldn't cancel my mom's phone even after she died. You disappoint me big red.

0 Likes
jakemcgraw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seen the Google Play Now store has the unlocked galaxy nexus priced at only $ 349.00. Just ordered one to see how it performs in comparison to the verizon model. Just have to select a gsm carrier prepaid sim yet. Googles site says it will have the 4.1 jelly bean in the next couple weeks. Cant wait to see.

0 Likes
sfd0124

Jelly Bean is running super smooth, the new Google now is really cool.

0 Likes
carseller0822
Contributor - Level 3

<Post deleted for discussion of moderator activities which is not permitted on the public forum per the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
joemn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Now we know what a new top end android phone with the latest software version is really worth (ie: cost + profit)  $349.  BUT you can't get blockbuster, or vz navigator, or slacker, or verizon video, or other apps that Verizon installs and makes unremoveable; That costs a lot that needs to be paid for.  Then theres the 5 or 6 month wait for software updates after google releases them.  Thats why Verizon charges $649 for that cdma phone and why their marketing model is sooooo,  ugh, customer centric!  Thats it, customer centric.

Thank God for competition, for free enterprise.  A business model that exists only because lack of competition will fail when the wind of competition blows cool breazes through the marketplace. 

What? You mean an effective and innovative network that provides a more than reasonable return to the provider AND value and service to the customer.  Yep, THATS what I mean. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If you buy that phone Google makes money. Manufacturers makes money from the sale device. Google makes money whether you buy from them or not. Every app you download whether free or paid Google gets a cut. Manufacturers don't get a cut of that.

0 Likes