Re: JELLY BEAN?
Wildman
Legend

I really think if more users understood what updating a device requires to make things go smoothly...   Another thing that seem to be commonly overlooked is that when a new update hits the market it requires a number of developers to have to go back to starting board in order to make some apps compatible and this can be a nightmare, expercialy when updates hits constantly.

Buf Fixes and Full OS rewrite is to diffrent things in the developers world, so many device and so many diffrent versions of the OS can keep a person busy enough..

nexus_truth
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is a portion of an email I received concerning Jelly Bean's release date:

In regards to the Jelly Bean update, I was able to find out that the Software JB SU3 is targeted for October. You can expect to see the well anticipated update pushed to your phone next month. This is the information we have been provided by Samsung directly.

This is contradictory to a phone call I received concerning the update a few weeks ago. A few weeks ago I was told Verizon is testing the new radios and upon their approval the update will go OTA. The release date maybe in October, but it is not because Samsung is holding up the update.

There is no firm release date, but at least we have an idea. When the GNex My Verizon App is updated will be a big hint the JB update is about to be released.

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

First off, there is no reason to believe that third party apps which won't run on JB are the reason for this unconscionable delay...  one can only assume then that the only reason VZW would conceivably require any reason to delay this issue is that their My Verizon app is maintained by  incompetent developers... who for whatever reason, did not see this coming.  There are ONLY TWO apps on the GNEX that a JB update would adversely affect... and that's the mini-bloat my vzw apps.  Anything user installed is fair game for dismissal since if a dev doesn't account for changes and deal with them, then that's too bad.   (Perhaps too, the YET TO BE RELEASED Isis "google wallet" rip-off)

CLEARLY VZW should have had an early enough look at JB to compensate, and this is sheer neglect.  There are a whole host of reasons other than that which may be at play... which appeal to the conspiracy theory minded... but It doesn't take much to figure out if you rake in money by promising something and you provide little support, you make money.

Verizon's focus isn't where it ought to be in this case... and I think their internal dev organization needs an overhaul if your reason is the right one.

0 Likes
nexus_truth
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm saying the reason for the delay is the new radios, not the My Verizon App. All I am saying is we will know the update is close when they update the My Verizon App.

I think they probably are testing the radios and I think it is taking them way to long. They should have been testing the radios long before Jelly Bean entered the picture.

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Right... well, it's just like me to neglect the bigger picture.  I agree with you 100%.  Personally I have no idea WHO does the radios though.  But as we all know, the radios on the GNEX have been a problem for many on day one.  Thankfully my GNEX seems to be just fine (since I got it at the end of June).  The one I got for my son only needed one replacement (ha! ONLY one!!! doesn't that sound funny?).  But the point is that since the problems with the radios have been there since January... it seems to me that they had plenty of time to sort out radio issues (unless the hardware itself was sub standard... who knows?).  The variablility of the problem from one user to the next does seem to point towards some kind of software issue though, doesn't it?

0 Likes
nexus_truth
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do think there is a software issue. Hopefully the coming update will fix it.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I have developed a number of apps for Android and it is clear that anytime any major codes are modified in a new release of a OS it is a natural situation that 3rd party apps usually run into issues because of the changes and coding that the older software was not set to communicate... 

But this isn't the point I was making but it is clear no matter what is given as a answer it wont be enough so I dont see a reason to try to clarify the situation.

Since you are so sure that developing is so simple and bugs dont happen, if you are that good I would want all your software because you are the only developer that can make a application without issue or bugs.

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

I apologize for implying that I think development is easy.  I *know* it's not easy.  An api breakage is going to have an effect to be sure.  But I was (poorly) trying to make the point that 3rd party apps cannot be the reason for the delay in the Jelly Bean release on this carrier.  I deal with such problems all the time, and I know firsthand it's not easy... but given enough warning, delays can be minimized... unless you're talking about a full roto-till (and for sure that DOES happen) But  an OS vendor isn't going to delay a Linux release because our stuff isn't ready for it, are they?  Likewise, you being blind-sided by a change in the Android OS isn't going to stop Google from releasing it.  But software problems on VZW's stuff are another matter owing to the expectations that VZW itself set either directly or by implication.  I would *expect* that whoever is responsible for VZW's GNEX software is able to get early or pre-release versions far enough in advance that issues of this nature could be dealt with in a timely manner.  And yes the radio problem may have been bigger than we know... I know my GNEX seems fine... for whatever reason.  So Sprint's GNEX is CDMA (or so I'm told) just like VZW.  So it seems Sprint could deal with "it"more quickly?  That would not have been my expectation considering VZW's size and ability.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Please understand I mean no disrespect but Tidbit has pointed out that the CDMA builds have had radio issues and I have read verification of this, also not to exclude the Nexus I owned gave me nothing but connection issues and with this in mind if this problem have been carried over to the Jelly Bean build then holding the update until resolving a bug like this is the responsible thing to be done..

I haven't followed the Nexus development for the the Verizon build but until official announcements are made it is a guessing game...

I am not trying to dismiss your concerns but simply make clear that users are drawing a conclusion from unofficial sources and then expect Verizon to honor the rumors...  This isn't how things works, forcing companies to release something that they haven't been approved usually lead to upset customers because of the bugs that may exist.

Some time patience works as a benefit..

0 Likes
2insdad
Enthusiast - Level 3

Who cares if it is easy or not.

Fact AT&T has JB

Fact T-Mobile has JB

Fact Canada has JB

Fact Sprint has JB

FACT!!  MY VERIZON WIRELESS GALAXY NEXUS DOES NOT HAVE JELLY BEAN.

end of discussion.

0 Likes