Re: JELLY BEAN?
Wildman
Legend

The leaks are not complete so I do not see how this changes the release data, the leak was riddled with buts until the developering community got hold of it and work oot some the bugs..  

The source code is far from the final tested build that the carrier will release because it doesnt carry any of the dustomized UI's or bloatware...Check out the infor from Android about source codes..  http://source.android.com/

0 Likes
Shinnen13
Contributor - Level 1

you are aware that the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a customized UI? It is a google UI? As well, JRO03O is not a leak. it is a "pre-release" FROM GOOGLE? Just as they put ICS up on their site before Verizon could get their testing done. This update was available on 8/29. As well, the radios have been released as well

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You are aware Android is NOT 100% open source right? The drivers and radios for example are NOT. When you build from source you have to manually download and can't modify them especially under CDMA. Android may have the build matching all versions but if you look at the private code that has changed twice since Google released the Source. Sprint release uses the older change as they are not all that worried about the LTE radio. They don't have many locations that offer it and less people actually have the device in those areas.

0 Likes
Shinnen13
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, I am aware of that. I was more commenting towards wildman as he was saying there was no releases and it was just rumor. I am not anticipating using any of it on my phone, was just disputing his theory of rumors vs. an some type of google release. Just as you mentioned the code release in your previous post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I really am not going to go back and fourth about a "UNOFFICIAL BUILD" of the OS because when all is said and done if Verizon hasnt reported a official release the update release date hasnt been announced and this is who has the final word..

Yes I understand that Android isnt open source but this is the nature of the platform when you are developing....   I agree with your side but I am just pointing out that the update has not been officially reported or released and the update that is floating around isnt the final build of the OS and does not mean that it has been authorized..

It just get funny when users see a leaked version of a OS for a device and then they believe that this mean they should be getting it soon, the leaks are usually a method to test for bugs and see if the product is ready for final release....   I have seen leaks come to light and the official update never arrived.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Shinnen13 wrote:

Yes, I am aware of that. I was more commenting towards wildman as he was saying there was no releases and it was just rumor. I am not anticipating using any of it on my phone, was just disputing his theory of rumors vs. an some type of google release. Just as you mentioned the code release in your previous post

He is correct.  The source code is nowhere near the final release they given to carriers whether or not it's a Nexus or not.  The proprietary bits will change more than once before any release on any carrier.  The only real advantage GSM has really is the SIM and the code is semi-open source only the library is proprietary so it's easier to code in open source projects and requires 1 signature.  CDMA on the other hand it is proprietary.  The way Qualcomm they have it set up you need 3 signatures in order to even get the radios to work correctly(or a hack which violates the licensing).  So it has a different process from start to finish and requires Samsung, Qualcomm, and Verizon to sign the packages.  If one side finds a fault(I.E.  connectivity issues) it has to go back to square one, and each package needs to be resigned.  It's tedious and one of the reasons why I refused to work on Symbian on CDMA devices at my work place.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It wasn't directed at you Smiley Happy it was just general information people tend to overlook and wonder why one device gets an update before another.

I am running to current leak, and I would love if Qualcomm would make parts of their code open source like GSM is...  A lot of programmers have been asking for many years now, but alas it is always a con for CDMA.  I honestly see LTE being no different shortly with the number of people that have patents on the technology.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Yeah I got that...   I actually responded without reading full post...  My Bad but I do agree with you a number of your points..

Im still aiting to hear the update infor on the S3, not because my device has issues or anything, just to give it a run...

B33
Legend

>Post deleted. Irrelevant and off topic.<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The changes that really matter in JB isn't even directed at consumers.  The changes made to Android since ICS should make it easier for OEMS to update everything.  JB further the changes to make it even easier.  Keylime Pie(the only K desert I can think of) should be even further have a easier time for OEMS.  After the only excuse I can think of the delay would be drivers from parts manufacturer(like Qualcomm radios for CDMA devices, BT, and such).  They should be able to update their phones within 3 months.

0 Likes