Issues with phone
Runamok

Hi -- new here so please indulge me if this has already been discussed.  I have never had a smart phone before and I know there is a bit of a learning curve, but some things just aren't right.

First, is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the touch screen?  Or does my phone just not like my taps.  I have to, often, tap multiple times before it recognizes my taps.

Then, today the phone was just weird. I tried to call my husband at work and the call wouldn't go through. When I tried again, he suddenly said hello.  Then, while we were talking, we could both here the phone ringing as if I were making a call and his desk phone at work rang and his caller ID said I was calling him --- while I was talking to him.  We hung up and he called me back.  The ringer was very faint and not by standard ring.  When I tried to answer, the screen wouldn't light up to let me answer.

I took the battery out for 15 minutes and put it back in and it seems fine now -- but since this is my only phone (we don't have a land line) it is concerning to me that I could be cut off from outside communication in the case of an emergency.

By the way, the battery is fully charged.  I've had the phone for about 6 months and it has never liked my taps -- but this is the first time for the weird phone call behavior.

Thanks.

Linda Z

0 Likes
Re: Issues with phone
Wildman
Legend

Runamok wrote:

Hi -- new here so please indulge me if this has already been discussed.  I have never had a smart phone before and I know there is a bit of a learning curve, but some things just aren't right.

First, is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the touch screen?  Or does my phone just not like my taps.  I have to, often, tap multiple times before it recognizes my taps.

Do you have finger nails?  If so remeber that the screen detects finger interaction and nails, pins or any other option wont work..

Then, today the phone was just weird. I tried to call my husband at work and the call wouldn't go through. When I tried again, he suddenly said hello.  Then, while we were talking, we could both here the phone ringing as if I were making a call and his desk phone at work rang and his caller ID said I was calling him --- while I was talking to him.  We hung up and he called me back.  The ringer was very faint and not by standard ring.  When I tried to answer, the screen wouldn't light up to let me answer.

Sounds like you didnt allow the device to make connection before pressing the phone again, this simply called his phone again and activated a confrence call.   There is a few seconds reaxtion time between you pressing send and connection being made, you may want to wait a bit longer after hitting send.

I took the battery out for 15 minutes and put it back in and it seems fine now -- but since this is my only phone (we don't have a land line) it is concerning to me that I could be cut off from outside communication in the case of an emergency.

The device doesnt seem to be having any issue, it simply sounds like you may familiarize yourself more with your device because when you are use to one platform or device sometimes it takes a little bit to get the functions on the new device..

By the way, the battery is fully charged.  I've had the phone for about 6 months and it has never liked my taps -- but this is the first time for the weird phone call behavior.

Thanks.

Linda Z

0 Likes
Runamok

I do not have finger nails.  I am real familiar with touch screens as I was a software trainer and several companies that used me also used touch screens.

I confess to being a Type A person, but I learned early on not to overwhelm the system by punching, clicking, tapping commands in rapid succession.  Therefore, more than 15 seconds (at least) passed before I heard my husbands voice.  As a matter of fact, I had been pressing end call when he answered and before his desk phone rang.  But I accept I might have been a tad impatient and thank you for your suggestion.

As to the fact that my tapping doesn't appear to be up to snuff, I frequently have to tap several times before I get any response.  End call is particularly annoying.  Usually takes 2 or 3 taps to hang up.

When I check my voice mail, odds are better than 5-1 that the system will not recognize my pin.  Even tho my pin is sitting right there in front of me to prove I entered it correctly.  The recording doesn't recognize it and sometimes it has taken up to 3 re enters to get into my voice mail.

Right now I am trying to decide to stick with the Fascinate or go with an iPhone.  There are valid arguments for both.  But that is for another post.

Thanks.

Linda Z

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

You may be experiencing some slow down while using the phone. I have seen my phone get slow and not respond in a timely manor to my touching the screen.

First it would be nice to confirm your firmware version.

home screen

menu

settings

about phone

firmware version (2.2.2)

build number (sch-i500.ed05)

I have noticed very few slow downs on ED05, but it can still happen. When it does I usually visit the power button and ask the phone to power off. I wait a minute after the screen goes dark. Power on the phone. Wait till you see media scans finish. I usually see 3 on my phone. usually my phone is pretty peppy after that till it happens again. I have not found the root problem to my slow down yet, but most will blame it on 3rd party apps.

Also did you install a screen protector? Some are a little too thick and interfere!

It doesn't sound like you are encountering the "phantom button" issue at this time. I do not like the fact you say you see your pin on the screen and voice mail says it is not correct. I havent had this issue yet.  It sort of reminds of time when cordless phones first came out and the tones were too short be recoginized by most automated systems. Since voice mail is complaining about incorrect pin most times I would be currious if you hand dial phone numbers if it dials the wrong number due to sending bad tones?

I have found no adjustments for the touch screen sensitivity.

I haven't tried a conference call on my phone yet and have not experieced a problem similar to your phone call issue.

0 Likes
Runamok

Thanks for the info -- my firmware and build were both out of date.

Interestingly, my husband has also experienced his voice mailbox not recognizing his PIN too -- and he does not have a smart phone. 

I'm hoping that updating my phone will solve the issues.

Linda Z

0 Likes