Re: Is it true that Verizon as gone evil again and is blocking...
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon Wireless is committed to offering customers  the best service and feature options on the competitive market.  Google and Bing are both great search engines and we are confident that both will provide a great experience to our customers.  Google search  is not blocked,  and Bing is being introduced as  another option to better the wireless experience.  

Google Maps and VZ Navigator both function great, but some of our customers want the option to use VZ Navigator as that is what they are most familiar with.   So we want to provide them with that option.  Google maps and navigation services is  not blocked. 

Verizon Wireless cares for its customers and there overall wireless experience.  We want to provide the best, safest, most reliable, and economical services and options to our customers.  We also have a responsibility as a company to make sure that we adhere to a strict legal code of ethics as a leading wireless provider.

The products and services we offer are tested and developed to provide the best quality within our network.  We in no way wish to infringe upon the freedoms of private developers or customers.  We do however have a responsibility to the customer who pay for our service to protect them from harmful software, and provide them with the most compatible options for the network.  

We value your impute and are happy that you are satisfied with the Android options we provide.  We hope that we can continue to provide you with the most reliable nationwide coverage. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Then let us choose to download the navigation, search, music purchase or ereader app of our choice! The phone I had before my droid was a get it now phone. It didn't have any games, navigation or programs preloaded. I had to pick and choose which ones I wanted, pay for, and download to the phone. I mean what is that special tab for in the market labeled Verizon doing but promoting your preferred applications. You talk about caution downloading third party apps, but Bing, Amazon MP3, Blockbuster, Kindle, VZ Navigator, You-Tube and even the Google suite of apps can be thought of as third party applications.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I think more people have an issue with Verizon locking the phone down to bing and VZ Nav. In stock form:

- You CAN'T add the Google Search widget so you're locked to the Bing widget unless you use ADW or Launcher Pro. *Should be fixed whenever Froyo is released

- You CAN'T change the default action for the search soft key to use Google instead of Bing for text and voice searches.

- You CAN'T change the Navigation shortcut in Car Mode to use Google Nav instead of VZ Navigator.

It doesn't really bother me as I never used the widget or search key but Verizon is obviously inconveniencing quite a few potential customers in order to pad their own pockets.  Granted it's well known that Verizon's business and marketing practices are questionable at best so it's not much of a surprise.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

android10....if google search is not blocked then maybe you can explain to everyone how to find it and install it from the market??? and i'm note talking about voice search. i'm talking about the full "google search" widget. everything i've read and seen leads me to believe it IS blocked. if i'm wrong, just tell us how to get it (without using alternative launchers).

0 Likes
Chris3D2

I'd like to thank Noah for the time he has taken to respond to these issues.  At the same time, however, I would also like to point out (as constructively as possible :smileywink:) the dichotomy between what he claims is the motivation behind Verizon's decisions, and the realities of how those decisions effect Verizon's customers.

Verizon Wireless is committed to offering customers  the best service and feature options on the competitive market.

Verizon may well offer the best service of any carrier, and I'm willing to accept that my lackluster signal strength may be an isolated issue.  And Verizon does offer an impressive range of devices and services.  But as it pertains to smart phones, these devices are unarguably hand-held computers with vast, wide ranging capabilities.  As such, it's impossible to compile a "best" list of options - the "best" options are the ones that fit each user's particular needs, style and preferences.  The "best" option would simply be to afford the user their preferred option.  As we all know, this isn't the case here, as many aspects of the phone are pre-configured to specifically disallow efficient access to what is unarguably one of the world's most popular and widely used search engines.

Google search  is not blocked,  and Bing is being introduced as  another option to better the wireless experience. 

With all due respect, this is disingenuous.  The Google search widget is indeed blocked from being able to be added to the home screen.  Even when the Google widget is side-loaded onto the device, it's excluded from the list of widgets that are able to be added to the TouchWiz home screens.  And this is specific to the Verizon version of the Galaxy S phone - what is essentially the same phone/OS running on ANY other carrier is capable of adding the Google widget to the home screen.  In other words, the operating system of this phone, as customized by Verizon was specifically programmed to disallow the Google search widget on the home screen. And Bind is not being introduced as another option, as you claim, it has been specifically hard-coded as the only option.

Sure, a user can open a browser and navigate to the Google home page and nothing is blocked, but that can entail 3 to 4 steps (opening the browser, bringing up a menu to open a new window, loading a bookmark to Google and finally searching) when a widget on the home screen can accomplish the same thing in 1 step. 

I, and many others, do not prefer the Bing search engine, so the pre-installed Bing search widget is not the "best' option for us.  Blocking the Google search widget from the home screen significantly impedes our ability to efficiently use our search engine of choice - again, anything but the "best" option for us.  Likewise, with the dedicated search button hard-coded directly to the Bing search engine when in the browser, customers who prefer to use Google loose what is an efficient time-saving feature of the phone. 

To circumvent the restrictions Verizon has programmed into this phone, a user needs to fully replace both the home screen launcher as well as the entire web browser.  Only then can the Google widget be added to the home screen and the dedicated search button linked to the Google search engine when in the Browser.  However, in the process, the user looses access to any of the Samsung widgets (which can not be added to 3rd party home screens) and must turn to the Android market for apps to replace that lost functionality.  Searching for, downloading and sometimes having to purchase such replacements costs the user time, effort and money - clearly anything but the "best" option.

Verizon Wireless cares for its customers and there overall wireless experience.  We want to provide the best, safest, most reliable, and economical services and options to our customers

This statement stands totally at odds with the steps outlined above which are required to configure this phone to fully utilize the Google search engine.  I'll go over each one to highlight the fallacy:

We want to provide the best - It should be abundantly clear that when it comes to such integral activities as searching, and being the case with virtually all other Android phones on the market, the "best" option is for the user to have his/her own "option".  Verizon doesn't allow that.

safest  - By forcing the user to turn to an open software market to replace major components of the operating system in order to have the simple option to fully utilize what is unarguably one of the world's best, most popular and widely used search engines exposes that user to many dangers.  At best, these 3rd party replacements might not be fully tested with the overall specific configuration of this phone and at worst could easily contain malicious code, exposing the user to all manner of threat.

most reliable - When it comes to software, reliability is a direct result of testing.  It is, therefore, absurd to claim that the restrictions Verizon has programmed into this phone are in the interest of reliability, as they directly causes a user to download untested and unverified software from a market with little overall control and/or oversight. 

and economical services - With many of the apps a user would need to replace functionality lost by circumventing Verizon's programmed restrictions costing money (not all Android apps are free), this argument also fails closer inspection.

and options - With the phone specifically hard coded to exclude the Google search widget and linking of the dedicated search button to the Google search engine when in the browser, it's simply disingenuous to claim that the user is being provided the "best" options.  In this case, the user is provided no option.

We in no way wish to infringe upon the freedoms of private developers or customers.

By specifically hard-coding a restriction into the stock user interface of the operating system to disallow core functionality that is included in that very operating system in favor of a 3rd party who, honestly, has nothing to do with either the hardware or software of the phone, the freedom of Verizon customers and developers is absolutely being infringed upon. 

When each of us bought this phone, we purchased the well known functionality provided by the Android operating system. Verizon's programmed restrictions blocks our access to core functionality that's available to virtually all other android devices, (many of which Verizon itself sells), and we are not afforded the option of enabling that functionality.  That is, most certainly, infringing on the freedoms of customers.

We do however have a responsibility to the customer who pay for our service to protect them from harmful software

As stated earlier, by restricting core Android functionality Verizon has forced it's users to replace major system components with 3rd party applications which may be untested, untried and potentially malicious.  As such, if Verizon truly believes it has a responsibility to protect it's customers from such dangers, it's failing miserably.

We value your imput

I appreciate that and eagerly await a continued discussion of the issues I've raised here. 

0 Likes
xxAndrewNxx

Chris3D2 FTW.

Noah's (Android10's) entire post is offensive -- it's nothing but a propaganda piece.

The VZ Navigator, SocialBeat, NFL Live, Skype, Bing, VCast and other software that was forced onto my BlackBerry Storm is a main reason why I'm upgrading my phone (my and my wife's Samsung Fascinates are in the mail, set to be delivered tomorrow).

I am extremely concerned that all of the pre-loaded garbage is going to smother our Fascinates, just like the unwanted software dragged my Storm into the depths of uselessness.

I'm currently considering refusing my delivery and waiting out my contract, or at least waiting for an offering of a better, smarter smartphone.

I've been a Verizon Customer since 1998 or 1999, save a few years where I experimented with AT&T in college. I'm almost as disappointed now as I was with them.

I don't give two shakes of my fist about Bing ... but at least give me the choice of how to set my own soft keys.

Don't cripple the functions of google maps/navigation because I want to use it in a car cradle and not the expensive and inferior VZ Navigator.

Don't cripple the phone by having senseless launchers on it that eat memory (hiding them isn't an option ... out of site, out of mind is for imbeciles).

I'm not going to "root" my phone because I follow the rules, and I don't want to interfere with the integrity of the phone, service or the software -- but Verizon is putting a stranglehold on my device and are making irreversible decisions for the customers who made it the best cellular service. They are not making the "best" decision for me.

BTW: Noah, did you mean to spell "input," or was "impute" a Freudian slip?

0 Likes
Chris3D3

This is now the 3rd time I've had to register for this forum, because previous registrations mysteriously become locked.   I wonder why that is?  I fully intend to bring this issue to the attention of Verizon management. 

And BTW, I'm still awating a responce from Noah.  Nothing in my post was offensive in any way, and I brought up clear issues with many of the statements made in his post. 

0 Likes
Chris3D3

This is the private message I just sent to Noah:

Hi Noah,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm eagerly awating your responce to the questions I raised regarding your post in the thread: "Is it true that Verizon as gone evil again and is blocking..."  

Several of the assertions you made regarding the intentions behind Verizon's actions don't seem to make sense, and I, and others, would like these issues cleared up.

Please post any responce to the forums, as my forum registrations have been repeatedly frozen and I might not be able to access private messages if/when it happens again.  Also, any insight on why this may be hapenning would also be appreciated. 

Thank you for your time.

-Chris

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

chris3....you have to understand that the vzn employees that come to the forum do so only once in a while. you'll notice throughtout these threads that you only see the same ones a few times...then they disappear. also, most of their input is generic and often times appear to be from a manual. sometimes it appears that the actual question was not read (ie: a member asked about a ringback tone once and a vzn member posted specific instructions on how to download a ringtone).

xxAndrewNxx...if you want FULL google capability then i would refuse that delivery. the htc inc, droidX and droid II do not have bing. i would go with one of those. as far as the preinstalled junk goes.....you just won't find a smartphone these days without it. you can switch phones or even cariers....but unless you go back to a dumb phone, you're going to be stuck with preinstalled apps. they don't bother me (i guess i'm an imbecile? but they truly are out of sight and out of mind and have NO affect on the performance of my incredible...they are simply a few more icons in my app drawer, along with dozens of other apps). i'd like to uninstall them, but they really don't bother me. my issue is bing. don't like, don't want it, and will not get the fascinate now (at least until it gets 2.2 and i see if it truly can become google powered). i'm a phone geek and like to check out new devices, but i love the incredible and i guess i'll stick with it. the fascinate is a great device and i was lookin forward to checkin one out.....but google is what i love about droids. i guess i'll just have to wait for swype to be available to all.

0 Likes
jangmeibit

There seem to be ways to avoid the problems everyone is complaining about... The problem is that you have to go through some bother in order to fix them... I have saved Google as my home screen for the browser, downloaded Google maps, and adjusted my settings to allow the navigation to work.  The only thing I can't seem to change is that when I hit the "search" button (the magnifying glass symbol in the lower right), it always goes to bing.

I don't understand why Verizon sells its Motorola Droid phones without these problems.  (At least my boyfriend's first generation Droid doesn't).

All that said, I love my phone.  It's thin, gorgeous... And after a good bit of tinkering, I have gotten it to do everything I wanted.  

0 Likes