Re: Is it true that Verizon as gone evil again and is blocking...
AZSALUKI
Legend

has anyone tried searching appbrain or another app marketplace? to see if "google search" comes up? i'm just curious. it comes up on my device in the market and appbrain (htc inc), but i am just wondering if "google search" (the actual widget and not the "voice search" app) would maybe show up in appbrain if it's not showing up in the marhet???

0 Likes
walkingagh

AZSALUKI wrote:

has anyone tried searching appbrain or another app marketplace? to see if "google search" comes up? i'm just curious. it comes up on my device in the market and appbrain (htc inc), but i am just wondering if "google search" (the actual widget and not the "voice search" app) would maybe show up in appbrain if it's not showing up in the marhet???

Appbrain doesn't work. It actually interfaces with Google's market which is customized for each phone. So it pulls the same apps as Google does.

0 Likes
KatieC

Got my samsung Fascinate 5 days ago and I love it!!!!! Just upgraded from a Storm 1 and it is a big difference!!!!

Yes.... I dont like bing.... and I dont like the verizon apps but google maps works good and google navigation even better!!!!

My only concern right now is..... how to uninstall the preinstalled apps????

thanks!!!!

K.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

katieC...you can't uninstall them.

walkingagh....are you telling me that you can't even get the appbrain app on the fascinate????

0 Likes
Timon0x31

Let me see if I can word this without angering the Verizon Moderator God like I did last time.

pool_shark wrote:

Found this on another website.

Google Search comming to Facinate (2.2 Update only) Bing will still be the default.

Verizon Wireless has confirmed to Phone Scoop via email that the Samsung Fascinate, which shipped with Bing as the default search engine, will be able to download the official Android Google Search application once the Fascinate is updated to Android 2.2. Verizon Wireless would not confirm when that update is scheduled to take place, but suggested that users who want to use Google Search instead of Bing set Google.com as their Android browser home page. Verizon Wireless spokesperson Brenda Raney said, "You can go to Google's home page and download an icon from that page and use Google as an alternative search option." Alternately, Raney said that Fascinate users can "download Voice Search from the Marketplace and when you use Voice Search, it searches in Google." Though the Android 2.2 update will allow Fascinate users to download, install, and use Google Search, Google Search will not replace Bing as the main search engine that launches when the "Search" button is pressed. That button will always launch Bing, even after Google Search is installed.
from Verizon Wireless

You can, without doing anything that violates your Verizon contract, return the Google Search Widget Application to your Facinate running Android 2.1. You won't be able to change the search button but you will at least have the app which is easier to use that bringing up the browser.

Try the following search text in Google.

"restoring google search to the Fascinate"

For fun try the same search in Bing, the difference in the results is most amusing.

Maybe by the time that 2.2 comes out Verizon will see the error of their ways but I doubt it.

Oh, for the mod, I have a copy of this post. If deleted I will take this to Verizon corporate and will post to the press. There is NOTHING in this post that you can say is in violation of your TOS. You may not like it but deleting it would not be a good idea.

0 Likes
CR6
Enthusiast - Level 1

I love reading in so many forums online how people are refusing to buy the Fascinate for the sole reason of Bing being the default search engine.  Grow{word filter avoidance}
up people!  One of the many reasons people buy an Android phone is {edit for TOS violation}

If you don't like Bing, then bookmark Google and search that way.  (I know....that's SO difficult to do!) {edit for TOS violation}

Just stop freakin whining about Bing already.  I can promise you that you won't find a single "perfect" smartphone on the market today, nor will you ever.  Buy what suits your needs and be happy with it.  The whole reason android phones are so popular is {edit for TOS violation}

0 Likes
snrsuave
Enthusiast - Level 2
I am getting tired of people just saying to bookmark Google in the browser. Google search is integrated into the OS. It not only searches the web, it also searches your contacts, music, apps, etc. And Google Maps navigation does not work correctly. Use the navigation and try to hear the directions in a car. The volume is barely audible. I wouldn't be surprised if that was Verizon's doing as well to try and force VZ navigator. Verizon not only removed a search widget, they also removed some of the core functionality of the Android operating system. I really enjoy this phone, so if other's are having different experiences, let me know. There may be an issue with my phone, but I doubt it. The volume for other apps is fine.
0 Likes
Kamar234

Actually that is the problem. They have removed the ability to go into the market and replace Bing on your phone. It would be a minor nuisance if that was all you had to do. They have completely blocked the ability to use a superior native android function for a third party solution for Verizon's and Bing's benefit and to the detriment of their users. Have you used Bing search? it is not bad, but nowhere as good as google's search. And once we upgrade to 2.2, there is no comparison to the new Google voice search and any other voice control system on the market. It is extremely integrated with android. It actually bothers me a lot because I used voice search on my droid running 2.2 while driving and never had to do anything but long press the search button and talk. Now if I were on the road and needed to do something, it would be a multi press function, changing the way I use the phone. This is the heart of crippling. Anything that keeps you from doing something that you would be able to do otherwise is indeed crippling.

0 Likes
Chris3D2

CR6 said: Just stop freakin whining about Bing already.

It's not just about Bing.  It's that, on the Verizon and **only** the Verizon version of this phone, the launcher was specifically programmed to disallow Google's search widget from being able to be added to the home screen.  If t's pre-configured with Bing, fine, but don't specifically program it to block Google.

It's that for a user to fully reconfigure the phone to use Google, he/she must download and install a 3rd party launcher and a 3rd party browser, some of which cost $$.  And then to replace functionality lost (all of Samsung's widgets), the user must again, download and install 3rd party apps, again, some of which cost $$.

And then there's the issue of the phone's limited storage space being used up by all these 3rd party replacements, and the inability to remove the Bing-tied components to reclaim that space.

Then there's the issue of all the other bloat/nag/crap-ware that Verizon that, again, the user is, likewise, unable to remove. 

And finally, there's the issue of the *MANY* bugs in this phone - a poorly functioning GPS, weak reception, a buzzy earpiece, barely audible speaker volume - all things which Verizon *SHOULD* have been spending their time and resources addressing, not hard-coding the phone to block Google at every turn.

In other words, Verizon's priorities were totally backwards - satisfy Microsoft desire to be forced down Verizon's customer's throats instead of making sure the phone opperated smoothly for it's customers. 

The hardware of the phone is great, and I hate to see it go, but my phone is boxed up and ready to be returned.  If I read reports of all the bugs being fixed with 2.2, and it truly being able to be de-Binged, I'll consider buying it again.  But there's a lot of other options out there, and there's several other carriers. 

I couldn't wait for my 2 year AT&T contract to be up so I could ditch my locked down iPhone for an Android on Verizon.  To say this has been a hugely disappointing experience would be an understatement.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

to everyone......just get launcher pro. with a third party launcher, you can access and use the google search apps/widgets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_vObNgV9W8

i know this guy gets into something that most of you WILL NOT want to do. but his other method only requires using a third party launcher to enable access to google widgets. if you search this on youtube, you will find many good videos that can help you out.

0 Likes