Re: Is it true that Verizon as gone evil again and is blocking...
AZSALUKI
Legend

am i missing something? why couldn't you just download the google search widget from the market????? after the 2.2 update i had to do that anyhow.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I already said that. lol

I think it's just someone trying to rant, or wanting attention.  Why would this device be different than any other Android on Verizon other than the search widget?  All this hoopla for a Search widget which is easily downloadable from the Market.

0 Likes
PiperCrab
Contributor - Level 1

So let me get this straight: they shouldn't dictate what default search engine you use only because they used Bing and not Google? Are you even listening to your own **bleep** rants?

I for one love using Bing; whatever I need to find Bing brings it up immediately and it works very well. Now you are trying to tell Verizon that they should only use Google and not any other search provider they see fit. Way to be one sided mate; this planet doesn't revolve around you and your silly little complaints. Are you even a dude?

The best thing I've seen when it comes to selecting search providers is to do what Apple did with the iTouch: add all three providers (Yahoo, Bing, Google) and let peeps select which one they want as the search provider. That way we won't have any prepubescent girls whining about sillyness.

Btw, I am so glad you don't own a Droid X; I probably toss mine out the window just because you had one.

0 Likes
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

No, you can't download GOOGLE SEARCH widget. It is hidden on Fascinate. I check that today and if you search Marketplace for that widget from DX and DI, you can see it and download it. On Fascinate, it's simply doesn't exist on the Marketplace. VZW blocked it. 

It is all about money. VZW needs to satisfy their shareholders and it sounds like MS overbid Google for payment to VZW for it to enforce Fascinate on what default search engine and map should be installed. Now it all makes sense why it took so long for VZW to release this phone, they were doing testing on how to successfully block Google from that phone.

I wanted Fascinate so bad that I even returned DX (because of the reboot issues) but now I am looking back again at DX (hopefully with 2.2 correction for reboot).

0 Likes
MSF

Well I just did a search using my Droid X and got zero returns.  Has verizon blocked it for all.  I will jump ship and go to sprint or t-mobile.  The upcoming G2 look amazing.

Verizon may will the battle but they will lose the war.

0 Likes
Timon0x31

I love it when someone resorts to personal attacks.

Android is a Google phone and as such I expect that it will have all the standard Google applications. I can accept, even though I don't like it, restrictions on tethering but not making changes to the general operation of the device or blocking apps that they don't like.

I can support them if they want to add the Bing Search app and allow you to choose to make it your default but I can't support them FORCING customers to only use Bing by blocking the Google Search app. MSF stated: "Well I just did a search using my Droid X and got zero returns. Has verizon blocked it for all?" I did a search on my Droid and I can still find it so at least it's not blocked for ALL Verizon Android phones YET. 

Droid users currently have the option to use Verizon VZ Navigator which is the right way to go but it's EVIL if they decide to block the use of the free apps such as Google Search and Googles navigation to force you their paid apps or just to make money from another search engine provider.

If they also removed the ability to download apps from "Unknown sources" option then that's yet another proof it's the dark side for Verizon and total disregard for their customers.

And to those that think I'm just trying to cause trouble, think again. I've supported Verizon for 18 years and in general still do but when a carrier start playing these kind of games they need to be taken to task and it's time for congress to take action to stop carriers from doing things like this. Choice is the right of all and should not be taken away by greedy carrier's.

0 Likes
MSF

I may not have been able to find it because you need froyo installed.  In addition, I just found this:

It is dated 12/2009

http://is.gd/f2HFK

0 Likes
MSF

Way to go Verizon

http://is.gd/f2Vzq

0 Likes
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

For those who don't remember, MS was already was slapped once with anti monopoly suits all around the US, Canada, and EU for forcing their Internet Explorer as default browser. MS paid millions in fines and lawyers fees to settle those cases. At least at that time, PC users could install other browser and not to depend on MS staff. Smartphone market is going over what PC market when in late 90's and I won't be surprised to see law suits being brought against VZW and MS. It is all matter of how many people will raise their concerns. Any smartphone as any other computer consist of three main parts: hardware, software, and provider. Consumer should choose any combination of those ingredients as they pleases. Locking Bing as the only Search option on Fascinate and VZ Navigator as main GPS navigation option are ridiculous solution to draw money from consumers.

Would you buy a TV set made by Panasonic if it would only work with Comcast, Sony with U-Verse, Sharp with FIOS, or Mitsubishi with DirecTV and on the top of that providers would lock you into watching only channels that they want you to show. Of course not...TV stations are the same as Internet, it is the same for all and providers have no rights to locks us into something that we don't like/want.

If not for the **bleep** approach that AT&T took getting rid of the unlimited data usage, I would be long gone with iPhone and AT&T even though I was with VZW for the past 10 years.

0 Likes
MSF

...and I criticized AT&T for selling their soul to get the iPhone exclusive.

What verizon is doing is worse!!!

0 Likes