Re: I really feel betrayed by Verizon and this phone
JamesSC

I just got off the phone with Verizon tier 2 support. I am having the same problem with poor signal strength and dropped calls everyone else is. All of the other techs that I have talked to before were at least pleasant. The tech guy I just spoke with was very rude. I asked him if this was a known issue with this phone and he said no. I then asked him if Verizon looked at these discussion forums and he said yes but "They are just a bunch of people complaining.".

I was given the option of waiting for the update but he said the update was just supposed to show more bars and not improve the signal strength. He had no idea when the update would be available. The other option was to exchange my phone for a refurbished one. From what I have read on this and other forums, this does not fix the problem.

I am very unhappy with Verizon at this point.

0 Likes
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon is literally ruining their brand name. If you think about how often people talk about their cell phones; just about every time someone pulls out a cell phone you haven't seen, you ask how do you like it, etc. and then you talk about your phone. Probably 100,000 conversations like this happen every day. I don't know how many Galaxy Nexuses have been sold, but imagine the cumulative effect of what people are saying to their friends about the phone and about the customer service they're getting. And it spreads on from there, as everybody who hears about the problems with Nexus and how Verizon has responded will remember it and perhaps pass it on. It's just basic concepts of customer service and it just boggles my mind that a corporation can do this and not realize the consequences down the road. When you talk to a "tech guy" at Verizon who either doesn't realize or pretends not to know that Verizon Galaxy Nexuses haven't received the updates, then tells you to call Samsung to find out why "your phone" hasn't been updated, its just blatantly insulting the customer's intelligence. And when he says that Verizon has no idea when the update will come, but to call Samsung; honestly, Samsung is going to tell me information that it does not share with Verizon? They treat customers like children. And this whole 14 day return window thing will be an issue. If people were told the problems would be fixed with an update, then after 14 days they refuse to take a return...That could be a serious problem for them. And well-deserved: if Verizon truly has no idea when updates are coming, they should make their salespeople aware of this fact and make sure they're not misleading customers, otherwise it's negligence.

0 Likes
holmsc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just my opinion, but I think you should go with the refurb. My friend was having the same data/connection issues you describe and Verizon kept telling him an update would fix it. I subsequently helped him install a custom ROM and new radios from 4.0.4 and it didn't fix the issue - so I'm nearly certain no software update will fix this. I suspected he just had a phone with a bad radio, so he ended up taking a refurb and it works perfectly. Simply put, I think a batch of bad radios were installed in some GNex's so don't wait around for a fix, get the refurb and see if that works. If not, get another refurb - you'll find one that works, and you'll then love your phone!

0 Likes
mikem84
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wouldn't count on finding one that works. Between my wife and I we've gone through 10 phones, 4 new and 6 refurbs, 1 of the refurbs was from Best Buy system. They had dates of 11/11, 1/12, 2/12. We had both Korean and China models, and both the .9 and .10 radios. Everyone had the same problems with mic and connection, some even came with additional issues. If it was a just a bad batch of radios, odds are I should have found one that works. You're right that the 4.0.4 update that everyone is waiting for does not fix it and there is no indication that the 4.0.5 update will fix it either. Somebody really dropped the ball on this. I believe we're being strung along with rumor of a "fix" and will continue until people give up. Keep in mind that the next Nexus device will probably be out in 6 months, then who cares about the Gnex.

0 Likes
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm gonna try the refurb, and see what happens. I popped in a store today just to look at the RazrMaxx, and was told that there was no way they would exchange a Nexus for one even if I keep having problems. The dude acted like this very notion was absurd. I don't see why, when I paid 300 bucks for the Nexus. If the refurb doesn't work, I'm gonna talk to my family about just leaving Verizon. Being stuck in a cycle of receiving refurbs or new versions of the same phone that doesn't work is just absurd. I was also told that if Verizon does a "troubleshoot" and finds nothing wrong with the phone, then I'm stuck with it, even if the battery life is still 6 hours. But fundamentally, I have honestly never received worse customer service from a major corporation. The other day I called Comcast (which is certainly not like the greatest corporation in the world), and said I was thinking of cancelling because it's too expensive and I'm moving soon anyway, and the dude gave me $20 bucks off a month and free HBO. Yet Verizon sees no problem selling its customers $300 phones that don't work, has a 14 day return window (which they think still applies even if they told you your problems would be fixed by an update), won't let you change to an equivalent phone that actually might work, and generally treats its customers like they could care less.  I'm sick of dealing with it, for 300 bucks I just want a phone that works for more than 6 hours and that doesn't randomly lose its signal or drop calls, and I'm tired of wasting my time talking to Verizon reps who either don't tell the truth or are prevented by company policy from actually helping the customer.

0 Likes
fastearle86
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, Today i spent some time on the phone with them and while on the phone with level 2 support, i dropped the call. I could hear them but they couldn't hear me. My second Nexus by the way. When they called back, they told me this phone had some issues with reception. I travel a lot to rural areas so reception can be a challenge anyway. Living in the city, i never had issues until i traveled. They said that there were antenae issues comparable to the I phone 4 when it had issues. Anyway, i didn't give too much and pretty much told them i needed a phone that worked and comparable to the phone i paid for. The Razr Maxx is what i have coming. Great reviews but not without its issues but great over all and at least it will work. I have had decent luck with Motorola so far. They are even sending me an Otterbox case for it. I can't complain about the care i have received from Verizon at this point and for the money, i would expect nothing less...

Don't give up! Have it escalated. I pleaded for help and didn't make demands. I'm sure that helped me as well. I'm glad i didn't have to get angry! Though i was anyway but it isn't the techs fault Samsung sucks...

0 Likes
Devils8
Enthusiast - Level 3

So they gave you a Razr Maxx in exchange for the Nexus? Wow, that's great; you must be very convincing. That's encouraging, if my refurb doesn't work I'm gonna try and do the same thing. Did you have to argue a long time to get this? When I raised the issue of getting one exchanged for my Nexus in the store the guy acted like I just told him the sky was falling. Did you call customer service or tech support?  Not getting angry is probably a good tip; it's hard tho when the tech support dude says things like the Nexus doesn't have a removable battery, and I'm like actually it does, I removed it quite easily; I guess it depends on who you happen to get on the phone. How high up, in terms of asking for supervisors or whatever, did you have to go?

0 Likes
fastearle86
Enthusiast - Level 3

Didnt have to go past level 2 support. The lady had to get permission to give me the Maxx but it only took me standing fast to get my request. You may already know that it isnt hard to get to level 2 support and if you have a real problem, like i did, you shouldnt have to argue. I love the Maxx so far but miss 4.0.2. Eventually, ill have it again! Thats the beauty of it!

0 Likes
phony-smartphone

I've been using the Nexus since shortly after the release. I have had very few problems with it compared to my OG Droid. The phone is very fast and when people see it they are in aw. The phone is not perfect but I've enjoyed my GNex. The only problem I have is the fact that Verizon will not push out the 4.04 update. My Wife has the Razr which is a very nice phone but I still like my GNex more. I think it's funny to hear people complain and act like everyone else in the world is having problems with the phone. Everyone else is not having problems and on average the phone has no more problems that any other. I follow 2 different sites that are android specific (Droid Life & My Droid World) and overall people are very happy with the GNEX. In fact the primary complaint is not with the phone but with Verizon for not pushing the 4.04 update. So if you don't like the phone and are able to get a different one then fine do so. But please don't act like your problems are shared by every other owner because the truth is they are not. People love the iPhone, or the HTC, or the Moto phones. Great, others love their Samsungs and have had great service. My daughter has the Galaxy Fascinate and can't wait until she can upgrade to the GNEX.

0 Likes
fastearle86
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe its just a lemon for me. I simoky could not use the phone. It would constantly drop calls. Really it just lost reception. People i was talking to could no longer hear me but i could hear them, Only solution was to get a different phone after 2 different GN...Razr Maxx now and love it. I think that if you are in a big city and stay there, you wont have any trouble. I travel a lot so it was a constant problem for me...not sure if this is the issue for you but it was to me.....

0 Likes