I am very disappointed
afern23

I love my galaxy nexus but how can I love a phone that drops my calls regularly? I just got off the phone with Verizon technical support after a week-long struggle and they can't do anything for me. So when I first got my phone I had dropped calls and signal issues, therefore I called Verizon. They made me switch out my sim card multiple times, went to the store and they tried reassuring me that a tower would soon be available in my area even though I am supposedly is a strong coverage area ( says the coverage map ) and finally they convinced me to keep the phone instead of taking it back before my 14-day period by telling me there would be an update to fix the problem with the radios. Almost a year later and even after the update which was 6 or 7 months after I initially bought the phone I have the same problems. I have been marking my dropped calls with (# # # send) and calling technical support and they decide to open up a ticket for someone to come to my area and survey the signal quality and send me a replacement "like-new" phone. The ticket resulted in my area being not what I was sold into with bad coverage where I could drop calls, not receive and send texts and so forth. The replacement phone came in and dropped more calls which I marked again. I just got off the phone with a technical support agent who told me I had three options: I could wait for another update that is supposedly coming soon, I could spend almost $200 dollars for a network extender or I could buy a used phone. Wonderful. So I need to spend more money on top of the $300 dollars I spent for the phone and $160 I pay a month or have a useless phone that can not sustain a 5 minute call without dropping and hope that an update will fix the problem, like the last update was supposed to. The icing on the cake is that my sister in the same household under my plan gets better reception than I do with her Iphone 4s and doesn't drop calls like mine and they want to say I need a network extender. If this was a perfect world, maybe such a company would have realized a mistake they made and done something to make the customer happy. A like-new certified iphone 4s would have been nice since I know it works in the area but they cant afford to do anything more me. One year left with a phone that is useless. I think I made a mistake switching from T-mobile and it hurts me to say it since I had such high hopes for Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: I am very disappointed
nlitend
Contributor - Level 1

Sometimes making the customer happy is an unwise business decision, accept it.  Don't have to like it, or understand it, but its fact.  If another phone in your home works fine, its your phone, not your sim card if its been replaced, period, obviously.  So yes replace the phone and don't expect a freebie from the service carrier, the manufacturer of the device is responsible for their product, not the seller.  So many people do not understand that.  W A R R A N T Y. 

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Can't you return what you were given as a replacement that drops even more calls? What kind of phone is it? Perhaps if you had some other Verizon customers with different phones come to your house and check their service, there might be another phone besides an iPhone that gets better reception and doesn't drop calls.

If they convinced you to keep the phone, if they dissuaded you from returning it, I think that Verizon should do something more for you. Is there a record of all your attempts to get your service straightened out? Have you tried contacting support and having your issue escalated.

Is this a 4G phone? Are you in a fringe 4G area? Maybe telling the phone to stay on 3G while at your home is the answer.

I do not subscribe to nlitend's take on the situation. You are paying for a service you should be receiving, and have paid for a phone that should have worked, and you were told not to replace it. If you are documented, I think you should be able to speak to someone reasonable about your situation.

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

I agree with nlitend.

First of all, no carrier guarantees service inside a structure. Hate to break it to you afern23, but it is what it is.

Second of all, as a consumer, although you loved the phone, if you truly felt that the dropped calls was a big issue, you would have returned it despite the advice you were given.

Third, the warranty is through the manufacturer, like nlitend stated. Verizon is not required to give you a different phone. You got the samsung on agreement, and thats what it will be replaced with.

You can do what the tech said, or go buy an iphone and fulfill the rest of your contract, or pay the ETF and go to a carrier that works in your home. I know this isnt what you want to hear, but its the facts.

0 Likes
pcryan23
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Galaxy Nexus is great phone, but you have to be in a good coverage area, it has some sticky reception and signal issues in the radios, look at the android authority forums or the XDA developers, When I got my galaxy nexus I replaced the stock rom and flashed the radios and it definitely helped with the problem. Are you experiencing bad reception issues JUST at your house? what is your signal strength and data connection like outside of the house, when you go to work, when you are traveling etc? it could just be that you are not close enough to a tower and yes the solution is a service extender or get another phone, but sadly the Galaxy Nexus where as it is a pretty sweet phone has some reception issues not really anything verizon can do, samsung made the phone, I highly recommend extensively researching the smartphone you want to buy technical specs, read forums about stick problems, pros cons, youtube cellphone reviews, all that helps ensure that you get a better cellphone experience that is suited for you.

0 Likes