How do you move main (bottom of Screen) icons
killface

"1st how do I move or remove a main icon such as MESSAGING and replace it with another app icon such as HANDCENT?  These icons dont seem to press and move as the other icons do.   And how do you  Google contacts in the CONTACTS folder?  The guy at Verizon put all my contacts in the GOOGLE folder and now I cant add them to Family or Friends or etc.  My wifes are in CONTACTS and she has more versitility.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do you move main (bottom of Screen) icons
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I second using a third party launcher Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher.  To change the dock icons in the dock bar at the bottom, open the app drawer and hit the little gear up in the top left.  Long pressing on one of the apps will allow you to move it around and replace one of the default icons at the bottom. 

Not sure what you mean about the Contacts issue.  If you log into Google on a computer, you can change what groups contacts are associated with.  As far as adding contacts to the phone there are two options when you choose Add Contact: Google or Phone.  If you set it to Google, it will be synced and backed up with the contacts in your gmail account.  Using Phone only stores the Contacts locally and will allow you to set up custom ringtones.  Believe those contacts can be backed up using Backup Assistant under Accounts/Sync to back those up or you can just use the Export feature in Contacts to save a backup to the sdcard.  If you want to switch pre-existing Google contacts to Phone, you can either enter them manually and choose Phone when adding them or export/import the contacts.  Go into Contacts, hit the menu button and choose More and Export/Import.  Then choose Export to SD card.  Repeat the process and choose Import from SD Card and choose Phone.  You'll probably want to turn off syncing of Google contacts under Accounts & Sync in Settings and also uncheck the options for displaying google contacts under Display Options in Contacts. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
inseek

Just get launcher Pro and you'll be able to customize your screens/buttons the way you like, well beyond this **bleep** TouchWiz allow it. Please note, TouchViz widgets may not work, but you can get almost everything substituted with apps on the Market.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I second using a third party launcher Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher.  To change the dock icons in the dock bar at the bottom, open the app drawer and hit the little gear up in the top left.  Long pressing on one of the apps will allow you to move it around and replace one of the default icons at the bottom. 

Not sure what you mean about the Contacts issue.  If you log into Google on a computer, you can change what groups contacts are associated with.  As far as adding contacts to the phone there are two options when you choose Add Contact: Google or Phone.  If you set it to Google, it will be synced and backed up with the contacts in your gmail account.  Using Phone only stores the Contacts locally and will allow you to set up custom ringtones.  Believe those contacts can be backed up using Backup Assistant under Accounts/Sync to back those up or you can just use the Export feature in Contacts to save a backup to the sdcard.  If you want to switch pre-existing Google contacts to Phone, you can either enter them manually and choose Phone when adding them or export/import the contacts.  Go into Contacts, hit the menu button and choose More and Export/Import.  Then choose Export to SD card.  Repeat the process and choose Import from SD Card and choose Phone.  You'll probably want to turn off syncing of Google contacts under Accounts & Sync in Settings and also uncheck the options for displaying google contacts under Display Options in Contacts. 

0 Likes
killface

It all worked as you said.  Thank you so much.  Now to try and remember what I did. LOL

Thanks

Don Butler

0 Likes